Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 01-17-2007, 07:18 AM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lord
In the book, her name is Luba Luft. I have read the book more recently than seeing the film.
I haven't read the book in so long I'd forgotten that. The book is so different from the movie that they are pretty much separate entities to me. If you are a fan of PKD, try "Man In A High Castle" sometime.
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-17-2007, 09:57 AM
SoCal Sam's Avatar
SoCal Sam SoCal Sam is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffinator
I've never thought of BR as a genre bender. When I think of genre benders or paradigm shifts in what is capable I think of Star Wars, T2, and then The Matrix. From my perspective those three movies made huge leaps forward in what was possible in a Sci-Fi flick. For me BR was a more thought provoking movie, that looked really really cool, but not one that created a paradigm shift for what would follow.
The three movies you mention are notable for visual effects but with the possible exception of The Matrix, do not cover new ground. Epic space movies had been done before, Space Odyssey 2001 comes to mind. Lucas drew from a number of popular genres including western cowbow and Seven Samurai" storylines so no new ground here. What he did do was successfully mesh the old with Sci-Fi. The only notable shift in T2 is the visual effects that created the liquid metal Terminator. If this flick had a harder edge, i.e., an Arnold Terminator that could kill, I might think differently. The first Matrix comes closest to a paradigm shift. The mind blowing effects are well known and spectular. It is the thought provoking storyline that enthralls. Sadly, the sequels of your three choices strayed from the orginal concepts. For example, in the Matrix, what ever happened to the human batteries?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-17-2007, 05:06 PM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Sam
Sadly, the sequels of your three choices strayed from the orginal concepts.
T3 was appalling.
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-17-2007, 05:53 PM
Duffinator's Avatar
Duffinator Duffinator is offline
Lost in the Supermarket
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: ROCKville, CA
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmotor
T3 was appalling.
That's an understatement. It really showed Arnold was past his prime. But I don't want to say anything bad about my boss.

As for what happened to the human batteries in the Matrix? They were discarded like all old batteries of course.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-17-2007, 09:12 PM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffinator
That's an understatement. It really showed Arnold was past his prime.
It's on AMC now.

__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #36  
Old 01-17-2007, 09:56 PM
SoCal Sam's Avatar
SoCal Sam SoCal Sam is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffinator
That's an understatement. It really showed Arnold was past his prime. But I don't want to say anything bad about my boss.
The crackling on your phone is Arnold checking on you.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-18-2007, 06:54 AM
Dusty Chalk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I still think it would be a transcendent film, and this is coming from a huge Vangelis fan (he's in my top 10 favourite artists of all time). It just wouldn't be as perfect. The non-traditional "futuristic" music was perfect for such a forward-thinking movie.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-19-2007, 09:14 AM
Robie's Avatar
Robie Robie is offline
Immortality or Death!
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 26
Funny about the timing of this thread.

2 weekends ago I was searching Yahoo music for available music from one of my favorite late 60s obscure horn featuring rock bands, If. I actually saw If play once at a nearby high school in south suburban Chicago.

If was led by a British jazz saxophonist of some repute named Dick Morrissey who died several years ago. Reading his biography I was surprised to learn that Dick Morrissey played the slow smoldering sax solo on the Vangelis Blade Runner soundtrack in the "Love Theme (Love Song?)" cut.

Not a big Vangelis fan either but I bought the Blade Runner sound track and enjoy it from time to time particularly the above cut. This was probably mentioned previously, but BR was named top SF movie of all time by some group within the last several years. Can't remember which group but seem to recall it involved scientists.

Watched it recently and IMO it has weathered well.
__________________
B&K Pro10MC ST-140 Rega Ela Planet Planar 2 Denon DL-103 Sony ST-J60 Naim NACA5 Chord Cobra
Sumo Athena Polaris McIntosh MA230 NAD 4020 Sony TA-2000F WMD6 Sherwood S-8900A S-7200 S-7100A HK 350i SI Super T ADS 710 200c 2002 Dynaco A-25 Genesis Model 10 EPI 70C InDignias
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-03-2009, 07:33 PM
wajobu's Avatar
wajobu wajobu is offline
Near and Far Horizons
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 206
This just does it, for me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_saUN4j7Gw
__________________
Yamaha, Manley, ADS, McIntosh, Rega, B&O & Victor Talking Machine

"...As worrying is interest paid on trouble, long before it's due..." - Steve Hackett - "Serpentine Song"


Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 06-03-2009, 10:47 PM
Renzor213 Renzor213 is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: West Detroit
Posts: 1
I picked up the Blu-Ray 5 pack and watched the final cut over a Christmas holiday visit to my brother's. We both agreed the music was a big part of the movie. We hadn't seen this movie in years, but noticed some memorable stuff in final cut missing, such as Rudger Hauer's "F" words and flying off into the sunset with Sean Young ending. Think I prefer the original release. Still a cool movie and agree Rudger Huaer's role was a big part of that.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #41  
Old 06-03-2009, 11:26 PM
analogguyinadig analogguyinadig is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Sam View Post
"You see a turtle and it is on its back. What do you do? You do know what a turtle is?"

The music makes the movie and the movie makes the music. I have the Director's cut and it didn't have the same impact the original had. I'd like to get the theatrical version to compare them. Still, one of my all time favorites.
This is one of my all-time favorite sci-fi's, I have seen both theater and directors cut versions. For me at least, they both pack a wallop.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 06-04-2009, 06:31 AM
ducati_EL34's Avatar
ducati_EL34 ducati_EL34 is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 127
Yes! The music is very good, however, it is the story that makes for an excellent movie.
__________________
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” -- Frank Sinatra
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 06-04-2009, 07:44 AM
Robie's Avatar
Robie Robie is offline
Immortality or Death!
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajobu View Post
Me too, wajobu! Unlike lots of older SF films, this one has held up well, music and all.
__________________
B&K Pro10MC ST-140 Rega Ela Planet Planar 2 Denon DL-103 Sony ST-J60 Naim NACA5 Chord Cobra
Sumo Athena Polaris McIntosh MA230 NAD 4020 Sony TA-2000F WMD6 Sherwood S-8900A S-7200 S-7100A HK 350i SI Super T ADS 710 200c 2002 Dynaco A-25 Genesis Model 10 EPI 70C InDignias
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 06-04-2009, 08:08 AM
slow_jazz's Avatar
slow_jazz slow_jazz is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SE Michigan, Downriver....
Posts: 148
I love the movie and feel the music is perfect for it.... I don't think it would be as good without it.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.