Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #5  
Old 01-12-2020, 04:56 PM
Electronic M's Avatar
Electronic M Electronic M is offline
M is for Memory
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pewaukee/Delafield Wi
Posts: 15,482
I've seen a couple of monochrome sets with cataracts they seem less common with the vulnerable bonded safety glass tubes though. Some of them had wrap-around safety glass that you can't get wire or clothes pins into...I have a hard time imagining a practical method of removal for the average hobbiest.

Zenith cataracts are the better to have IMO... they tend to stay clear and only affect the color (act as a green filter) vs the RCA type that tends to become cloudy and difficult to discern image through. Also you can slice through a Zenith cataract cold with wire VS RCAs that require dangerous heat or prying...I've heard of using water to remove cataracts on RCA CRTs but after 3 months of no noticeable progress I gave up on using that technique.

The most ruined cataracts I've seen were from a damp basement in Indiana... some the glass literally fell off when the tube was lifted... water degrades PVA just not as fast as I would like.
__________________
Tom C.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
 



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.