Quote:
Jeffhs For RCA2000 and RCAkid:
The point I was trying to make in my post was and is that, after 42 years, an RCA G2000 TV, like any other set made over four decades ago, will not work as well as it did when new unless it is properly restored, meaning recapping and probably rewiring, not to mention a new CRT, since the original is probably so weak by now as to be unusable. If an unrestored set this old, RCA's G2000 or any other, were to be plugged in and powered on, the chances are very good that the power transformer, to say nothing of other parts of the power supply if not the rest of the set, would go up in smoke after the filter capacitors shorted, which they probably would (if they weren't shorted to begin with).
I did not realize that the G2000 already had a remote. I didn't see one with the set when I looked at the photos, so I thought (wrongly, as it turned out) that this series did not have a factory-installed remote control unit.
I would not have said what I said about the G2000 failing to operate properly with today's ATSC digital TV signals if it were not true. This set's search tuning was designed to operate with NTSC television signals, so if it were hooked up to an antenna and the channel up or down scan button pressed, the VHF tuner would scan through the channels forever because there would be nothing to lock on to. This is why I said that, to work with today's ATSC TV signals, the set's digital tuner would have to be set on channel 3 or 4 and left there to receive the output of an ATSC->NTSC converter box. (Think of the old UHF television converters which had outputs on VHF channels 5 or 6 -- same principle.) The use of an ATSC->NTSC converter box ahead of the TV's NTSC tuner, of course, renders the set's search/scan tuning unusable, as all channel tuning is now done at the converter box or with its own remote.
|
Well Jeffhs....you confuse the crap out of me. NOTHING prior to the year 2000 will work over the air. The will require a converter box. So DUH! A set from '69 will work no better OTA organically than my 2003 JVC D Series will. But with a few transmitters, that can be remedied and the sets can still perform as intended. The fact that no early tv can work as it was intended since the DTV conversion stinks. But the fact that the G2000 with it's CTC-47 chassis was capable of electronic tuning was, especially for '69, a big thing. The fact that there were no tubes in the set beyond the CRT was huge! As you know RCA fell back to the CTC-40 which still had a HV tube. And the fact that the picture of a G2000 looks as good, if not a bit better in some cases as my JVC D-Series is pretty mind blowing.
The issue here is the dismissal of the G2000. Now I have no idea how this set has been treated or the environment it has endured. But I suspect that she is not in all that bad of shape either. The original point you laid out, to me anyway, is basically why would anyone want this set and it won't perform like today's tv's.
It is a no brainer that NO vintage tv is going to perform as it did when new without restoration. Even the best CCII or System 3 with it's programmable tuner will not function any better in today's world. The most expensive and best NTSC set in the world won't function OTA today even with all of its computerized tuning capabilities. So the comparisons with today's tv's still alludes me other than to dismiss a set that was significant for its day.
Your original arguments are akin to saying that the CT-100 just isn't going to perform as well as today's sets and you won't be able to use them on anything but channel 3 or 4. Does that make the CT-100 a piece of junk? No....it is what it is, a piece of tv history. Although the G2000 and CT-100 don't come close to occupying the same status.....the G2000 shouldn't be dismissed as just another BPC tv either. This is the impression I have taken away from your comments. If misunderstood, I am always open to being enlightened.
Your arguments about capacitors and crt's and such are valid for ANY vintage tv. However, I would like to point out that both my G2000 sets have their original CRT's. One of the G's was a daily watcher up until 4 years ago....it's CRT is still quite strong, but compared to my other G, which was never owned and brand new, there is a definite difference in the picture quality, but it is not that significant and still as clean and clear as a CTC-16 picture.
If you don't like the G2000, just say so. I understand that. Not everyone likes the Eames era styling. Many don't like the Avanti either...but, like the G, it looks pretty damn awesome.
As I said before, if I could save this sweet ol gal, I would in a heartbeat. These were special and there aren't many of them out there. I dare say that there are probably far fewer than the CT-100 and there aren't a heck of a lot of those and I would be proud to have both in my collection.