Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91  
Old 01-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Jeffhs's Avatar
Jeffhs Jeffhs is offline
<----Zenith C845
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Fairport Harbor, Ohio (near Lake Erie)
Posts: 4,035
Adam -

I'm glad your Insignia ATSC OTA converter box works well for you, as many people have had real problems with these and other off-brand converters (they actually work quite well when they are working, but they don't last long and some of them are about as sensitive as a crystal set); I sincerely hope yours doesn't burn up or otherwise go belly-up just months from now. The addition of an RF modulator so you can transmit the output of the box to your TV (as opposed to hardwiring the latter to the TV's antenna terminals) will likely work well for you too.

I didn't realize that "Cash4Gold" was available in Detroit. I live near Cleveland and see ads for Cash4Gold on the local TV stations all the time (infomercials).

BTW, I like your cat sitting atop the oscilloscope in your avatar. I have a cat that likes to sit on things like desks, tables, and the like as well; she especially likes to jump on things such as a chest of drawers in my bedroom, when I'm not looking. But I love her anyway, after having had her with me about seven months; needless to say, she loves me to death as well.
__________________
Jeff, WB8NHV

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 01-11-2010, 04:41 PM
jr_tech's Avatar
jr_tech jr_tech is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,573
"I'm glad your Insignia ATSC OTA converter box works well for you, as many people have had real problems with these and other off-brand converters"

I have a Zenith DTT901 converter box and it works fine. The Insignia (Best Buy house brand) and Zenith boxes are both made by LG in China and appear identical except for logo. I suspect that there is little difference between the two units. My Channel Master CM-7000, however is made in Bulgaria !

jr
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 01-11-2010, 06:02 PM
andy andy is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 4,004
000

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 04:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 01-11-2010, 08:32 PM
site123a site123a is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 240
Actually it's the firmware that makes the Insignal/Zenith boxes the best in terms of sensitivity. Adam, I think you'll be very happy with your Insignia converter box, I've been using my NS-DXA1 since March of 08 and it still works fine...

Now sit back and relax Adam, your going to enjoy watching RTN with all it's Glen A. Larson shows.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 01-11-2010, 10:53 PM
Adam's Avatar
Adam Adam is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,383
That cat has just recently taken to sitting on the scope, I thought it would make a good picture.

So far it's still working good. I'm watching Rockford on my 23" metal cabinet Zenith b/w right now... I heard so much about how bad these work, I expected the worst, but I've gotten nothing but good reception, even with the snowy weather today.

Last edited by Adam; 01-11-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #96  
Old 01-12-2010, 09:15 AM
Ed in Tx's Avatar
Ed in Tx Ed in Tx is offline
Zenith Walton My 1st TV
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
"I'm glad your Insignia ATSC OTA converter box works well for you, as many people have had real problems with these and other off-brand converters"

I have a Zenith DTT901 converter box and it works fine. The Insignia (Best Buy house brand) and Zenith boxes are both made by LG in China and appear identical except for logo. I suspect that there is little difference between the two units. My Channel Master CM-7000, however is made in Bulgaria !

jr
I have one of each, Zenith and Insignia, and they are identical, no "off brand" converter box. Only issue I've had is with the cheap-assed remotes. One gets a lot more use than the other and the keys got intermittent less than a year in service. A typical tell-tale sign the remote's key pads and PC board needing to be cleaned. Only problem is, the shell housing of the remote is glued together, no clips or screws! So I had to bust the seams to get it open, and taped the damned thing back together after cleaning, which did restore full key functions.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 01-12-2010, 11:01 AM
Jeffhs's Avatar
Jeffhs Jeffhs is offline
<----Zenith C845
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Fairport Harbor, Ohio (near Lake Erie)
Posts: 4,035
Ordinarily, I'd suggest you replace that remote with a universal one (so that you could also have control of your TV and VCR or DVD as well as the converter box with a single remote), but I don't think there are many universals available (yet, anyway) that will operate ATSC->NTSC converters. I have an All for One universal remote that will operate a TV and either a DVD or VCR, but not both, and certainly not a converter box (these remotes were made well before the digital transition). The AUX button on this remote cannot be programmed to operate a converter box or DVD either. Perhaps the newer All for One remotes are being made with this capability, but if you have one of the earlier ones (like mine), you must program the DVD/VCR button for one or the other, as the instruction manuals for the older versions of this remote do not have control codes for anything that was made after roughly 1995 or so. The only universal remotes I can think of offhand that will operate today's TV and audio gear are Philips or Logitech Harmony learning remotes, and they are very expensive--$150 and up. I use a GE four-function universal I bought for $5 at Best Buy several years ago; suits my purposes (control of my TV, DVD, VCR) just fine. No problems with the buttons sticking, either. These remotes are made by Jasco Products, which may be an obscure brand but the remotes themselves work great. As I said, mine is several years old, and to date I've had no problems whatsoever with sticking or worn-out buttons.
__________________
Jeff, WB8NHV

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 01-12-2010, 05:30 PM
site123a site123a is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 240
The volume button on my remote is starting to becoming intermittent. Ed in Tx if you can suggest what not to do when taking the remote apart, that would be helpful...
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 01-14-2010, 01:38 AM
ChrisW6ATV's Avatar
ChrisW6ATV ChrisW6ATV is offline
Another CT-100 lives!
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hayward, Cal. USA
Posts: 3,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by kx250rider View Post
I did find some ATSC boxes with HDMI outputs in full 1080i, but they're $250++. For that, Costco has a Panasonic DVD recorder with ATSC tuner. Not sure if it has HDMI output, but I can't imagine not. But I wouldn't be surprised if the tuner quality HD is dumbed down to prevent digital HD TV show copying.

Charles
Almost certainly, that DVD recorder will only give you SD output from its digital tuner, even if it has an HDMI output and you set that output to 1080i mode. Basically, it will probably have an SD-output digital tuner (the same type of components in the coupon set-top boxes) to feed the DVD recorder, and an upscaling HDMI output circuit (if it does have HDMI).

As Andy mentioned, the bargains in HD-output ATSC tuners are the DirecTV/off-air combo ones. Best are the LG-built ones (as is true with the SD digital tuners): Sony 200 and 300 (I don't know the full model numbers), Hughes HTL-HD, Zenith HD-SAT520, LG 3510 (I think).

There is a little known trick with those DirecTV boxes: If you go ahead and install a DirecTV dish, you will get the DirecTV program guide for the OTA channels (which is far better than the OTA guide information) without even subscribing. You would need the access card installed to do that, though.
__________________
Chris

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 01-14-2010, 09:44 AM
Ed in Tx's Avatar
Ed in Tx Ed in Tx is offline
Zenith Walton My 1st TV
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by site123a View Post
The volume button on my remote is starting to becoming intermittent. Ed in Tx if you can suggest what not to do when taking the remote apart, that would be helpful...
Don't use a hammer! I was able to get the sucker apart prying on it with a little screwdriver blade along the seam where the two halves of the shell are bonded together. Have patience and take care that you don't stab yourself in the hand with the screwdriver while prying on it. When I got one side broken loose, I was able to open the remote case enough by hinging it on the other side that I had not completely broken loose, and worked the board and keypad out to clean.

Mine had the typical glaze on the most used keys carbon pads, and some on the pc board. Alcohol, q-tips, and paper towels cleaned it up, functionally like new.

Last edited by Ed in Tx; 01-14-2010 at 09:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #101  
Old 01-14-2010, 11:16 PM
zenithfan1's Avatar
zenithfan1 zenithfan1 is offline
Mark
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kenosha, Wisconsin
Posts: 4,211
I think a learning remote would be a good replacement so the original can be put away.
I just hate cheap stuff that can't be taken apart. I'll look at mine, I didn't even notice that they're glued together.

Like 3 min. later......Yep, damn chinese crap is glued together.
__________________
My TV page and YouTube channel
Kyocera R-661, Yamaha RX-V2200
National Panasonic SA-5800
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26

Last edited by zenithfan1; 01-14-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 01-16-2010, 10:41 AM
Ed in Tx's Avatar
Ed in Tx Ed in Tx is offline
Zenith Walton My 1st TV
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenithfan1 View Post
I think a learning remote would be a good replacement so the original can be put away.
Yep just ordered a Sony learning remote so I can do just that. If it works well (and can be disassembled) I'll buy a second one for my other lesser used Zenith converter box.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 01-20-2010, 08:22 AM
Ed in Tx's Avatar
Ed in Tx Ed in Tx is offline
Zenith Walton My 1st TV
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,420
Got my Sony learning remote RM-VL600 yesterday, and programmed in the DTV box remote commands into the "CBL" position. Works great! Has a single screw holding it together so disassembling it someday should be no problem.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 01-20-2010, 12:49 PM
zenithfan1's Avatar
zenithfan1 zenithfan1 is offline
Mark
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kenosha, Wisconsin
Posts: 4,211
Cool, glad it worked out. I have a Sony learning remote......somewhere If I find it, it'll be a miracle if the book is anywhere around.
__________________
My TV page and YouTube channel
Kyocera R-661, Yamaha RX-V2200
National Panasonic SA-5800
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 01-20-2010, 01:00 PM
Ed in Tx's Avatar
Ed in Tx Ed in Tx is offline
Zenith Walton My 1st TV
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenithfan1 View Post
Cool, glad it worked out. I have a Sony learning remote......somewhere If I find it, it'll be a miracle if the book is anywhere around.
You can probably download the instruction manual in PDF form on Sony's web site. Type in the model number in the search box

(The results of my search for the remote I have)

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...pl?mdl=RMVL600
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.