![]() |
|
#46
|
||||
|
||||
|
Love British 'humahr'; the only series I watch.
To throw in something really obscure: has anyone here ever seen or heard of the little British comedy short "Same Procedure as Last Year" (also known as 'The 90th Birthday')? Rich old lady throws her annual birthday party, but with the years, her four regular friends have died, so her butler impersonates the four friends while also serving the meal. He has to toast for all of them too, so he gets increasingly hammered while trying to keep up the illusion of the tableful of guests. The film has the distinction of never having been shown in Britain, but it has for decades been a set-in-stone New Year's Eve tradition in Denmark, Germany, Sweden and other countries. I now have a DVD of it, from a VHS tape, and it finally also found its way to YouTube. C.
__________________
If it's too loud, you still have your hearing. |
|
#47
|
||||
|
||||
|
It's been on TV here (can't recal if free or pay channels) a few times under the title of "Dinner for one".
|
|
#48
|
|||
|
|||
|
Hello everyone, been a member for quite a while but this is actually my first post!
Comedy is a great passion of mine, and I'm gobsmacked (and quite proud, in that understated British way) that so much British comedy is so popular in the US, but I have to say that one of my favourite sitcoms of all time has to be Married With Children. Ran for so long yet never went of the boil, and really quite subversive in many ways, but is practically unknown over here due to being relegated to late night regional schedules throughout the 80s. Ah, so many happy childhood memories of laughing my bottom off at 4am ... ![]() P.S. Have any of you had the chance to see Peep Show? If not check it out, it is probably the funniest thing on UK TV at the moment TTFN |
|
#49
|
||||
|
||||
|
Years ago (1980 or so) we were visiting old friends in Flordia. There I saw one called "Doctors' Hospital" called "Doctor in the House" in the UK. I was 15 at the time and it made me roar. I have not seen it since and wonder if I would find it as funny.
__________________
Pioneer: SX-1250, RT-1020L, PL-530, P-D70, CT-F9191, H-R60, SE-205 & HPM 100s. KLH: Models 16 & 18, Tivoli Model CDP & Model 6 Speakers. |
|
#50
|
||||
|
||||
|
I've heard of that one, but I've never seen it. I do like "The Vicar of Dibley", however, which stars Dawn French.
__________________
Sony TA-5650, Sony TC-K700ES, Technics ST-7300, Technics SL-1400 MKII/Grado ZF-3, Nakamichi CR-5, Yamaha NS-1000M's. |
| Audiokarma |
|
#51
|
||||
|
||||
|
And everyone must know Jennifer Saunders from "Absolutely Fabulous", which was a spinoff from one of the sketches she & Dawn F. did in their Tv show.
|
|
#52
|
||||
|
||||
|
Yes, Minister and Yes, Prime Minister are likely the smartest comedies ever written. And probably the most accurate representation of what goes on in the halls of power.
Just brilliant.
__________________
|
|
#53
|
||||
|
||||
|
Indeed they are. Another programme featuring actor Paul Eddington that I enjoyed was The Good Life, in which Paul played opposite two of my favorite English television actresses, Penelope Keith and Felicity Kendal.
|
|
#54
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
And he IS the character that makes that show. |
|
#55
|
||||
|
||||
|
Ditto!
Blackadder Goes Forth is awesome. The Young Ones are really funny if your in the right mood.
__________________
Main: McIntosh MC2125, McIntosh C27, Ohm Acoustics Walsh 300's, AMC CD8b, Luxman K-373, Marantz 2110, Phillips N4504 w/dbx 222/200/NX40, SOTA Moonbeam w/Shure V15II/JICO-SAS Upstairs Mancave: Yaoin VK2100, Ohm Walsh F's, Luxman D-373, Sony ST-3950SD |
| Audiokarma |
|
#56
|
|||
|
|||
|
Yes, Minister and Yes, Prime Minister was so much more than a sit-com. I equate it with Dilbert, a mix between comedy and an object lesson in reality.
My wife and I would watch it religiously. One night when my some was home I told him to watch it as he never watches tele. He came down, took a look of it in progress, correctly named the program and told me in one of his poli-sci classes it was required watching. Apparently they would watch it in class sometimes and then discuss the significance. |
|
#57
|
||||
|
||||
|
Oops. I thought this was going to be a discussion on Bertrand Russell.
|
|
#58
|
||||
|
||||
|
No one has mentioned Mr. Bean! Rowan Atkinson is a comic genius!
__________________
Warren "No choice for sugar, but what choice could there be, But to drown in coffee, or drown in tea?" |
|
#59
|
|||
|
|||
|
Funny you should mention Mr. Bean. My wife and I just watched the French movie, Mr. Huto's (or was it Hotu) Vacation and we both thought of Mr. Bean. I do not know the history but wonder which influenced the other.
|
|
#60
|
||||
|
||||
|
I still remember Ms. Kendall talking about her 'best frock', she still shows up as a private detective in a show whose name escapes me at the moment. Ms. Keith went on to star in To the Manor Born.
__________________
![]() Some people are like Slinkies, not really good for anything. They do bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs. |
| Audiokarma |
![]() |
|
|