Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Artie's Avatar
Artie Artie is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 7
Brit-Coms anyone?

If it wasn't for Brit-coms, I probably wouldn't watch TV. "Yes, Prime Minister", "Keeping Up Appearances", "Are You Being Served?", "The Thin Blue Line", "Waiting For God", "As Time Goes By", and of course . . . "Fawlty Towers".

I love this stuff. Anyone else?
__________________
Sony TA-5650, Sony TC-K700ES, Technics ST-7300, Technics SL-1400 MKII/Grado ZF-3, Nakamichi CR-5, Yamaha NS-1000M's.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-03-2009, 12:10 PM
Rome's Avatar
Rome Rome is offline
Sound Aesthetics
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 45
Ocassionally I will watch Keeping Up Appearances. I really like the characters Hyacinth & her husband. I think AK member Celt's avatar, reflects one of the characters also.

Rome
__________________


"Arm Yourself With The Weapon Of Common Sense" -- Rome
I 2 I
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-03-2009, 12:23 PM
Gunner's Avatar
Gunner Gunner is offline
That was then this is now
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5
I've been collecting Brit-com DVD's for the last year or so. Favorites are "Dad's Army", "Open All Hours", and "Only Fools and Horses." I have not been able to develop an appreciation of "Allo' Allo'" or "One Foot In the Grave" which I also have. Wish they would issue a complete DVD set of "Last of the Summer Wine." If you want to watch Brit-coms economically, a region-free DVD player is a good investment.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-03-2009, 12:40 PM
merrylander's Avatar
merrylander merrylander is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Glenwood, MD 21738
Posts: 121
We get catalogs from BBC America from time to time and somehow I think Last of the Summer Wine was in it.
__________________


Some people are like Slinkies, not really good for anything. They do bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Gunner's Avatar
Gunner Gunner is offline
That was then this is now
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5
So far, to the best of my knowledge, they've only issued a few composite DVD's, a couple feature length films and a few seasonal DVD's. Most of the episodes are not yet available.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 07-03-2009, 01:07 PM
mhardy6647's Avatar
mhardy6647 mhardy6647 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: New England
Posts: 333
Red Dwarf is my personal fave.
__________________
all the best,
mrh
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-03-2009, 02:38 PM
Artie's Avatar
Artie Artie is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 7
It took me awhile to warm up to "Red Dwarf". The humor there, (like all Brit humor), is subtle. I also forgot about "Last of the Summer Wine". We, (my wife and I), watch that just as much for the country scenery, as the "plot". Great show.
__________________
Sony TA-5650, Sony TC-K700ES, Technics ST-7300, Technics SL-1400 MKII/Grado ZF-3, Nakamichi CR-5, Yamaha NS-1000M's.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-03-2009, 02:49 PM
mhardy6647's Avatar
mhardy6647 mhardy6647 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: New England
Posts: 333
My (elderly) father really likes Last of the Summer Wine; I've never seen it, though.
__________________
all the best,
mrh
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-03-2009, 02:51 PM
epifanatic's Avatar
epifanatic epifanatic is offline
ha ha charade you are
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Omaha, Ne.
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie View Post
If it wasn't for Brit-coms, I probably wouldn't watch TV. "Yes, Prime Minister", "Keeping Up Appearances", "Are You Being Served?", "The Thin Blue Line", "Waiting For God", "As Time Goes By", and of course . . . "Fawlty Towers".

I love this stuff. Anyone else?
All great, I'd also add "The Young Ones" to that list.
__________________
All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man.~ Thoreau
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-03-2009, 02:56 PM
grinnell grinnell is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4
Love the brit coms. Doctor in the House, The Brittas Empire, Allo, Allo, The Blackadder. They are subtle and then they are not. One Foot in the Grave has some very dark humor and ended darkly.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #11  
Old 07-03-2009, 03:05 PM
Celt's Avatar
Celt Celt is offline
Peanut Head
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Paragould, Arkansas
Posts: 1,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rome View Post
I think AK member Celt's avatar, reflects one of the characters also. Rome
Yes, that's Daisy's husband, Onslow. He's my favorite.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-03-2009, 03:06 PM
RobShaz's Avatar
RobShaz RobShaz is offline
MiniDisc Loyalist
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 5
One Foot' is a very tragic show really. The writer states that Victor's reactions are not abnormal considering what actually happens to him. Also subtle references throughout the series tell us that they had a child that died early in life (perhaps enough to make any man slightly bitter when snot-nosed kids spray paint insults on the wall of your house).

Perhaps the best British comedy in terms of writing and character-based humour is Porridge.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-03-2009, 03:20 PM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
Top Gear
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-03-2009, 04:07 PM
steerpike2's Avatar
steerpike2 steerpike2 is offline
VK Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Transvaal, South Africa
Posts: 53
No-ones mentioned "To the Manor Born", one of my favourites.
Nor have they mentioned "Little Britain" which I find exceptionally awful and unfunny.

I recently discovered "Hinge & Bracket".
__________________
New toys (updated July 11th):
http://web.eject.co.za/s8nspawn/hifi/ak/index.htm

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-03-2009, 04:15 PM
Gunner's Avatar
Gunner Gunner is offline
That was then this is now
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5
The BBC ran a lengthy contest allowing viewers to vote for their favorite sitcoms. Though the contest is long over, the results are here; http://www.bbc.co.uk/sitcom/
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.