![]() |
|
#31
|
||||
|
||||
|
Monty Python I grew up watching, along with Are You Being Served? I also really liked Faulty Towers, the funnest sitcom ever made and Black Adder. Does anyone remember Dave Allen at Large?
__________________
Main system: Pioneer SX 950 & Realistic STA 2100 Aiwa AD F770 and AD F660, Sony PS-T25 turntable, Pioneer CLD-5201 Laserdisk as a CD player, Denon DCM 360, Realistic 10- band EQ, Akai GX 4000D, Velodyne SA-101, Minimus 7, Baby Advents, Pioneer CS-88A speakers. Last edited by AnalogDigit; 07-05-2009 at 08:03 PM. |
|
#32
|
||||
|
||||
|
Grew up on Benny Hill, love Coupling and Top Gear!! On a different note anyone watch "Wire in the Blood", best crime drama ever. BTW netflix is great for this stuff, get the entire seasons of what you want.
__________________
Ed Technics SL-1700mk1, SL-D3, Yaqin MS-12B, Onkyo M501, Klipsch KG 4.2, and lots of home theatre junk |
|
#33
|
||||
|
||||
|
I have to +1 on The Office, although I disagree that the American version sucks. I usuall worry about an Americanised version, but the American version stands on it's own.
Ab Fab was great. I was especially worried about an American version of this one. I heard that Roseane Barr bought the rights and was going to develop an American version. Glad that didn't happen... .......so far. Falwty Towers? ......God, that could never be duplicated. It's too Cleesey. |
|
#34
|
||||
|
||||
|
Are you being served
Graham Norton Young ones Benny hill Top gear And my all time fav Absolutely fabulous. I watch more brit TV then US. |
|
#35
|
||||
|
||||
|
The dude is a trip. Did you know that the same actor did Paul's voice in Yellow Submarine?
__________________
Pioneer: SX-1250, RT-1020L, PL-530, P-D70, CT-F9191, H-R60, SE-205 & HPM 100s. KLH: Models 16 & 18, Tivoli Model CDP & Model 6 Speakers. |
| Audiokarma |
|
#36
|
|||
|
|||
|
The Brit sit-coms and mysteries are about the only reason we've not disconnected the cable. Oh, and Murder She Wrote. The satellite systems I'm not sure get them. None of the over the air channels do. I could live without them and red a good book but wifely loves the mysteries and we both enjoy the sit-coms though we each like differing menus.
The house identifies wifey with a certain character on Keeping Up Appearances and recently when wifey took off for 4 days to see a friend I did a little house reno and changed the door bell with the new one emulating the famous tone of Mrs. Bucket's. The neighbors loved it but, she who must be obeyed (Rumpole of the Baily) had other thoughts and sentiments. |
|
#37
|
||||
|
||||
|
Has anyone seen "The IT Crowd?" It is hysterical. You can watch some of the episodes on YouTube if you can't get it on cable.
__________________
Warren "No choice for sugar, but what choice could there be, But to drown in coffee, or drown in tea?" |
|
#38
|
||||
|
||||
|
Agreed, Extras is funny. I've been renting that one from netflix lately.
|
|
#39
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
[1] Are You Being Served? is pretty famous for being utterly terrible. Keeping Up Appearances likewise isn't actually that good at all (even though I did watch it all originally when I was about 7 years old). And Last Of The Summer Wine has amazing scenery, but I can't see the appeal to anyone under the age of 70. It's 30 years of programming about three old guys wandering around doing stupid things with bikes and falling into bushes. [2] Dark and depressing may appear to be what makes many British comedies, but it's always based on character-driven humour, and the characters themselves are always people you get behind, regardless of how insane they are. There are obvious examples. Last edited by RobShaz; 07-06-2009 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Typo |
|
#40
|
||||
|
||||
| Audiokarma |
|
#41
|
||||
|
||||
|
Also quite fond of:
The Royle Family Black Books The League Of Gentlemen Still waiting & hoping to see The Brittas Empire. |
|
#42
|
||||
|
||||
|
There's so many, that you all have listed, that I've never seen. (Or heard of.) I'll have to see what I can find for rental, perhaps.
BTW: anyone remember that god-awful rip-off of Fawlty Towers that America tried to do? Can't remember the name, but it was complete bomb. The sad thing is, it starred John Larroquette as Mr Fawlty, whom I love as a comedian. (John, that is.) It was just a bad idea.
__________________
Sony TA-5650, Sony TC-K700ES, Technics ST-7300, Technics SL-1400 MKII/Grado ZF-3, Nakamichi CR-5, Yamaha NS-1000M's. |
|
#43
|
||||
|
||||
|
I love Coupling, just funny stuff. My all time favorite though is The Thin Blue Line. I about fall out of my chair every time I watch it.
__________________
_______________________________ All there is to life is beer and music.... Well, family too, but they are where the beer and music is. Work? That's just to get me to the weekend.... where the beer, music and family are. Like I said, those are the important things. |
|
#44
|
||||
|
||||
|
I remember most of the ones mentioned and loveed them all. You guys have reminded of of some I haven't seen for a long long time so I will now have to go back to my favourite website "thebox" (only has British TV shows and nothing else) and get a few more to relive. I remeber one called "Some Mothers Do 'ave em" that used to make me laugh like crazy. Of course my favourit Brittish TV is any and all Doctor Who.
|
|
#45
|
||||
|
||||
|
Another one I liked very much was "Kiss me Kate" (no connection whatsoever to the stage musical), the author of which was nabbed not so long ago for collecting kiddie porn!
You might also want to search out the TV shows of Victoria Wood - my all time favourite stand-up. And if you like that, look up "French & Saunders". |
| Audiokarma |
![]() |
|
|