Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 05-08-2009, 07:11 AM
ducati_EL34's Avatar
ducati_EL34 ducati_EL34 is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBEEZ View Post

That being said, Wesley Crusher was a little too much.
just a little???


I hated Q at the time, but he's grown on me over time. TNG also introduced the Borg and set the stage for the next 20 years of Trek, which slowly degraded over time.[/QUOTE]


Yeah the mighty Borg, but, did you notice how pu**ywhipped they became, when they were defeated by Janeway in Voyager?
__________________
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” -- Frank Sinatra
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 05-08-2009, 08:01 AM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
OK boyz......

1PM today, IMAX for me!
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 05-08-2009, 11:21 AM
SBEEZ's Avatar
SBEEZ SBEEZ is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Alaska
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati_EL34 View Post
just a little???

Yeah the mighty Borg, but, did you notice how pu**ywhipped they became, when they were defeated by Janeway in Voyager?
The Voyager writers REALLY started running out of ideas and massively overused the Borg until they became a cliched shell of what they were in TNG.

I remember the episode of TNG where they were introduced. They were actually frightening. That could be because I was about 10 at the time though.

When Picard was assimilated--now THAT was a classic episode.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 05-08-2009, 11:33 AM
shaunhood's Avatar
shaunhood shaunhood is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 14
80's star trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmotor View Post
I watched TNG because it was on and certainly watched it every week. Was there any other sci-fi show even broadcast in the late 80's? Although I like Patrick Stewart, the kindler, gentler, conflict resolution style of starship captaining always left me cold. Personal preference was how Riker was portrayed, much more like the original Kirk. Data is certainly still a fave too. The rest, send to the airlock. However, TNG absolutely paved the way for the tumult of sci-fi shows since. IIRC it was nearly a dead genre on broadcast TV prior to the arrival of TNG. I don't know if anyone has read the sneak reviews from the UK on the new ST but by all accounts it is a steamroller and should lock many sequels to come. Good!
1980's sci-fi movies and series were really great..
having them out again with all the advance technology used in movies today is great..

ivge gotta say that i appreciate old movies..
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 05-08-2009, 12:17 PM
Arkay's Avatar
Arkay Arkay is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 225
I don't get into watching theater movies so much these days as I used to, but this one will definitely be a theater-must-see... Sucks that it is already out elsewhere, and hasn't started showing here yet.


Quote:
Originally Posted by m4rz View Post
I am very much looking forward to this movie. I will assume that with todays technology they should be able to make a really compelling movie. I am almost sad that Enterprise as a TV series didn't make it. But.....I still can't...wait...for this movie!
I picked up the Enterprise series on DVD (boxed sets) here, since it never showed on local TV --or at least, not on the channels that I get! I enjoyed it, but don't really view it as the same show as "Star Trek" TOS; as long as I treat them like two different, but good, series, it's okay. Enterprise was actually a GOOD series; I think people were too into demanding it dovetail with the original (and the Next Generation), and therefore too critical of it.

I'd agree, though, that it got a bit weaker towards the end. Most series do that, to some degree. Babylon Five was one of the best sci-fi series ever made, but towards the end it looked like they were compressing six seasons of episodes into one, skipping over huge chunks of history, etc... I had the feeling that they'd shot a lot of stuff in preparation for an extended run, then had the plug pulled and had to figure out how to make a limited number of episodes from what they'd shot.

I intend to enjoy the new movie, precisely because I will try NOT to equate it to the earlier ones, but just watch it as a new story that resembles others in some ways. In my experience, that is the best way to be able to enjoy these "revived" series and remakes. You can never really go back, and we shouldn't expect moviemakers to be able to, either. Just to give us a reasonable facsimile, with some "cool" updates!


Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati_EL34 View Post
Tell me that is not you!
Yes, please. And tell us that this wasn't an "audition pic", in the hopes of being cast in the new movie...


Quote:
I will pass...
If you add the word "water", you'll have a great caption for the picture!
(Kirk says, "I will pass water..." )
__________________
Be yourself. Everyone else is taken.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #66  
Old 05-08-2009, 12:26 PM
SBEEZ's Avatar
SBEEZ SBEEZ is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Alaska
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay View Post
Enterprise was actually a GOOD series; I think people were too into demanding it dovetail with the original (and the Next Generation), and therefore too critical of it.
Some aspects of it certainly weren't bad, but some of the acting was so atrocious it hurt me to watch it. It was like watching a sinking ship.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 05-08-2009, 03:39 PM
ducati_EL34's Avatar
ducati_EL34 ducati_EL34 is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBEEZ View Post
Some aspects of it certainly weren't bad, but some of the acting was so atrocious it hurt me to watch it. It was like watching a sinking ship.
Interesting? Got any examples? Or did you mean to say the "direction" was atrocious?
__________________
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” -- Frank Sinatra
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 05-08-2009, 03:52 PM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
I enjoyed it a great deal & see it in IMAX.

No review from me except that I will go again.
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 05-08-2009, 03:55 PM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati_EL34 View Post
Interesting? Got any examples?
Scott Bakula as Archer pretty much. (Tripp, Malcolm, Phlox, & T'pal however did great.)
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 05-08-2009, 04:17 PM
SBEEZ's Avatar
SBEEZ SBEEZ is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Alaska
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati_EL34 View Post
Interesting? Got any examples? Or did you mean to say the "direction" was atrocious?
Man, I honestly can't remember who was on the show anymore because it's been so long (proably stopped watching in '03, mainly cause I went off to college, busy, etc.). I just remember cringing at some really bad acting. And Archer did not work for me as the captain. Some of the plots weren't too bad, but I remember several of them being rather dull.

Perhaps it got better after I stopped watching.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #71  
Old 05-08-2009, 04:28 PM
ducati_EL34's Avatar
ducati_EL34 ducati_EL34 is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBEEZ View Post
Man, I honestly can't remember who was on the show anymore because it's been so long (proably stopped watching in '03, mainly cause I went off to college, busy, etc.). I just remember cringing at some really bad acting. And Archer did not work for me as the captain. Some of the plots weren't too bad, but I remember several of them being rather dull.

Perhaps it got better after I stopped watching.

Yes the last season was really good. I also liked Scott Backula as Archer. I particularly liked their spin on the vulcans.
__________________
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” -- Frank Sinatra
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 05-09-2009, 10:31 PM
ducati_EL34's Avatar
ducati_EL34 ducati_EL34 is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 127
I just saw the movie this afternoon and it was great!
__________________
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” -- Frank Sinatra
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 05-09-2009, 11:39 PM
SBEEZ's Avatar
SBEEZ SBEEZ is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Alaska
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati_EL34 View Post
I just saw the movie this afternoon and it was great!
At least we can agree that the new movie kicked ass. I'll have to check out the last season of Enterprise. I remember hearing about a petition to keep the show on the air, so it must have had some merit.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 05-18-2009, 08:05 AM
Carmine02 Carmine02 is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 21
Nice. Thanks for sharing the link. I have plans to watch it.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 05-19-2009, 09:53 PM
pioneervato's Avatar
pioneervato pioneervato is offline
ˇNo es mi problema!
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Where It's a Dry Heat
Posts: 32
Finally got to go see the movie. I really liked it. A lot more intense action than many of the the earlier movies and lots of neat tie ins to the original series. Did you notice Captain Pike in the wheel chair at the end of the movie?

The special effects were very good and the acting was not bad either. I thought there was enough there for the older generation who were around when the first series came around and enough there for the younger crowd as well.

I would go see it again.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.