Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 02-04-2008, 02:40 PM
bordeno's Avatar
bordeno bordeno is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Finksburg, MD
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
If we really have reached the point where supposedly adult parents have gotten so damaged by watching infant-TV with their kids that they now claim to enjoy it themselves, I am very happy never to have had kids.

This is not the only place I have seen people in their 20es and beyond saying they actually sit and watch this....very strange

Best,
C.
Man cosmic...I'm damaged dude. Started with Romper Room, ended with Teletubbies and Mister Rogers. Oops, take that back. Hasn't ended. Its an ongoing process.

In fact, damaged is a charitable term for how kids shows have deranged me. I'm almost 50 good buddy and while strange is very flattering, I prefer the British term: round the bend.

Cheers.

Almost time for Rocky and Bullwinkle.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-04-2008, 03:06 PM
Adam's Avatar
Adam Adam is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,383
I saw it once and I think it's creepy, I saw it while I was working on a set and the horizontal frequency was off such that there was two images on the screen, one on the right one on the left, and that might have added to the effect, but either way I think the show is damn creepy, in a bad trip, nightmarish kind of way. I think it's creepy as hell, no way I would show it to children, it'll give them bad dreams, it gave me bad dreams. On the other hand, I've been watching the twilight zone, outer limits, etc. (shows which are supposed to be creepy) since I was 7 years old and first got my own tv and have enjoyed watching them ever since. Now there are cartoons I do like to watch, but teletubbies, keep that stuff away from me.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-04-2008, 03:27 PM
bordeno's Avatar
bordeno bordeno is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Finksburg, MD
Posts: 65
Can't decide whether Dipsy or Laa-Laa is my favorite.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-04-2008, 03:34 PM
spartanmanor's Avatar
spartanmanor spartanmanor is offline
Old School is New School
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Posts: 75
Anyone remember the Bugaloos?

http://www.bugaloos.com/

Sid and Marty were definitely enjoying something.
__________________

Harman Kardon Citaton I preamp, Marantz 8b amp, Klipschorns speakers, Thorens TD 124 turntable, and piles of other gear.....
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-04-2008, 03:39 PM
bordeno's Avatar
bordeno bordeno is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Finksburg, MD
Posts: 65
Just got my Teletubbies Times.

Tinky-Winky says he's straight.

There was no confirmation, and we'll never know for sure.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #21  
Old 02-04-2008, 04:01 PM
thedelihaus's Avatar
thedelihaus thedelihaus is offline
See me,touch me,Thiel me
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boston Area, Massachusetts
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by bordeno View Post
Anyone as mesmerized with this show as I am?.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by techsui View Post
Boo-bahs are way better....
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeninDC View Post
Teletubbies are great when you are coming down.
Teletubbies was a big hit with the Raver scene, coming home after a night of dancing and "E". Sweaty raver girls that taste of Jolly Rancher candies and are very lovey-dovey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeninDC View Post
...I, too, have moved on to Mr. Squarepants with my kids.
I'm trying to get my niece, 7 years old, to watch Ren & Stimpy. She's a big Spongebob fan. So far, no luck. But if I can only keep her sugar-addled brain in check for 90 seconds, I'm sure I can do it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
If we really have reached the point where supposedly adult parents have gotten so damaged by watching infant-TV with their kids that they now claim to enjoy it themselves, I am very happy never to have had kids.

This is not the only place I have seen people in their 20es and beyond saying they actually sit and watch this....very strange

Best,
C.
Lots of the shows are "intended" for a young target audience, but also have adult themes woven in the story line. Spongebob, though not one I prefer, is not too far removed from Ren & Stimpy, of which I love.

Pee Wee's Playhouse was initially started by a bunch of adult comics and punk rockers and quite dirty. It was toned down for children, but there's still some adult themes strongly prevalent throughout the show.

Heck, even Mark Mothersbaugh (you may remember him from DEVO) writes music for the RugRats.


I'll sit and watch Pee Wee's playhouse and Ren and Stimpy, no issue. I can tolerate Spongebob.

And as for Teletubbies, indeed it's a trippy show and can be enjoyed for it's oddball production and strange psychedelic presentation.


Reminds me of Sid & Marty Kroft's "H&R Puffinstuff".



Indeed, no "Twin Peaks", but enjoyment can be found in it.


For the record, no kids myself. I have a lovely niece though.
__________________
What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got, say, pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angels' trumpets and devils' trombones. You are invited!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-04-2008, 06:37 PM
bordeno's Avatar
bordeno bordeno is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Finksburg, MD
Posts: 65
In all honesty, I've only seen Teletubbies a few times, well actually a little more than a few with the two kids. And I do think it is a brilliantly conceived show. I do like to stand behind the show though since so many make fun of it.

And I hope you know I don't get the TT times, if it even exists....

Now, Rocky and Bullwinkle is another story...
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-05-2008, 09:34 AM
KeninDC's Avatar
KeninDC KeninDC is offline
speedfreak jive
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Fairfax City, Virginia
Posts: 85
Kids -

Don't forget that Sid & Marty's "Lidsville" is the groo - groo - grooviest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOyG9WN9udI

Ken
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-05-2008, 09:36 AM
KeninDC's Avatar
KeninDC KeninDC is offline
speedfreak jive
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Fairfax City, Virginia
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedelihaus View Post
Teletubbies was a big hit with the Raver scene, coming home after a night of dancing and "E". Sweaty raver girls that taste of Jolly Rancher candies and are very lovey-dovey.
Deli gets all my references. Twin sons from different mothers.

I was a huge Ren & Stimpy fan, too. I may have to try that on my kids.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-05-2008, 09:46 AM
ProAc_Fan's Avatar
ProAc_Fan ProAc_Fan is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Niagara Falls,Ontario
Posts: 47
I can't seem to find Ren and Stimpy anywhere on the tube nowadays or my kids would be watching it too. I enjoy SpongeBob ( especially Patrick) and other kids programming like The Backyardigans and Toopie and Binoo. I've got a wide age range of kids ( 8 months to 11 yrs) so I've spent more than a decade evaluating kids programming. Much of it is quite catchy and interesting.

I ask you now,would you rather have your little minds watching some of the provocative smut that passes for prime time TV? As I type this I'm watching Toy Story 2 on DVD and my 5yr old and infant are loving every second of it.


Mike
__________________
Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a moron.




Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #26  
Old 02-05-2008, 10:29 AM
bordeno's Avatar
bordeno bordeno is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Finksburg, MD
Posts: 65
Rugrats......a fine show. My 9 yr old was into them between I think 4 and 6. Hilarious!

Excellent satire as well.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-05-2008, 02:23 PM
poohsan's Avatar
poohsan poohsan is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 5,000 miles southwest of onepixel
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bordeno View Post
In fact, damaged is a charitable term for how kids shows have deranged me. I'm almost 50 good buddy and while strange is very flattering, I prefer the British term: round the bend.
The word of mouth says I'm round the bend,
It's all over, this is the end.
__________________
"Don't take life too seriously because you'll never get out of it alive" - Bugs Bunny

"Princes of Prestidigious Petrochemical Platitudes" - 'toze
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-05-2008, 04:17 PM
thedelihaus's Avatar
thedelihaus thedelihaus is offline
See me,touch me,Thiel me
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boston Area, Massachusetts
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeninDC View Post
Kids -

Don't forget that Sid & Marty's "Lidsville" is the groo - groo - grooviest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOyG9WN9udI

Ken
I see your "Lidsville", and raise you one "HR Pufnstuf"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA3FF...eature=related
__________________
What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got, say, pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angels' trumpets and devils' trombones. You are invited!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-05-2008, 08:48 PM
electronjohn's Avatar
electronjohn electronjohn is offline
I like....big sparks!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: minnesota
Posts: 652
Got my grandson (now 9) hooked on "Tom & Jerry" when he was about 2. Still just about my all-time fave...no dialogue...story's told with just action, expressions & music. He also got Laurel & Hardy immediately...thought he'd pee his pants laughing while watching "The Music Box". (the one where they're trying to haul the piano up that lonnnnng flight of stairs.) Much to his Mom & Dad's chagrin got him hooked on the Stooges, too. Nyuk, Nyuk.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-05-2008, 09:00 PM
thedelihaus's Avatar
thedelihaus thedelihaus is offline
See me,touch me,Thiel me
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boston Area, Massachusetts
Posts: 178
Ren & Stimpy used (among other things) Classical, Jazz and blues recordings, some from the likes of Raymond Scott (who also created electronic equipment long before Bob Moog was) and some of it influenced, though not performed by, Spike Jones.

No surprise, then, to know Tom & Jerry also used Classical, Jazz and blues recordings with great success. Scott Bradley was influenced by Spike Jones and Raymond Scott's music, and I wonder if Spike Jones and Raymond Scott was ever used in a T&J cartoon...
__________________
What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got, say, pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angels' trumpets and devils' trombones. You are invited!
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.