Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 01-03-2008, 09:23 AM
Mystic's Avatar
Mystic Mystic is offline
AK Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Gabriel Valley
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
No, not the PC 1990s-2000 version, either...The Original 1963-65 Scare-the-P!ss-Outta-You Leslie Stevens-Joe Stefano series...Odd, murky cinematography...Odd, murky scripts...Hysterical music...$1.98 EFX (but they were good for 1963)... Actually, it WAS an excellent series, some of the most talented people in Hollywood at the time worked in it. ABC, perennially in 3rd place in those days, didn't know quite what to do w/the show, kept cutting the budgets & moving it around. Even after Stevens & Stefano left/got kicked out at the beginning of the 2nd season, they STILL managed to pull off several excellent shows. I think I know why all the revivals of shows like this fail-They attempt to impose a modern-day sensibility on them-try to show "Compassion", "Tolerance", "Relevance", all that other happy horseshit. The people that watch these kinds of shows could care less about seeing a woman as the boss-they watch 'em for one reason & one reason only-To get the living daylights scared out of themselves. Anyhow, anybody else have a soft spot for "Outer Limits" like me ?
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-25-2008, 11:37 AM
outshined's Avatar
outshined outshined is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 72
I have DirecTV and I think they've played a few original episodes just once or twice.
But, I was wondering if anyone knows if the following stories are from the OL?
Been so long since I saw them, but here's the gist...

A man (Jack Warden?) finds himself in the world where everything and everyone seems to be frozen in time, except they aren't; they are all moving imperceptibly slowly. He realizes that a truck will hit a little girl on a trike and fashions the emergency brake to activate with the seat belts from the truck that he cut out. Sound familiar?

The other is something about 2 small cubes in a lab setting. They are moving very slowly towards each other. If someone doesn't do what's required, then they will touch and the world will blow to bits or some such thing?

Thanks.
__________________


"So now you know who gets mystified"
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-27-2008, 10:46 AM
sleddogman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by outshined View Post
I have DirecTV and I think they've played a few original episodes just once or twice.
But, I was wondering if anyone knows if the following stories are from the OL?
Been so long since I saw them, but here's the gist...

A man (Jack Warden?) finds himself in the world where everything and everyone seems to be frozen in time, except they aren't; they are all moving imperceptibly slowly. He realizes that a truck will hit a little girl on a trike and fashions the emergency brake to activate with the seat belts from the truck that he cut out. Sound familiar?

The other is something about 2 small cubes in a lab setting. They are moving very slowly towards each other. If someone doesn't do what's required, then they will touch and the world will blow to bits or some such thing?

Thanks.
I happen to remember that first one! The title was "Premonition" and the actor was David Garcia, where the solution involved a seat beat cleverly tied between the truck wheel and emergency brake lever. That was Season 1 Episode 8 on One Step Beyond

"Alcoa Presents: One Step Beyond" ran from 1959-1961 and I was 8 years old when I saw it. For some reason that episode has remained stuck in my head all these years...

Sorry, but the two cubes don't ring a bell at the moment.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-27-2008, 11:26 AM
outshined's Avatar
outshined outshined is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 72
Thanks, sleddogman. It crossed my mind that it could have been an episode from One Step Beyond, which is another favorite that I haven't seen in many years, but I thought it was more of an Outer Limits type story.

These favorite episodes, whether from Outer Limits, 'Zone and One Step Beyond tend to get fuzzy after so many years of not watching them.

As far as I know, only The Twilight Zone is on on a regular basis.

Maybe it's time to buy the DVD box sets.
__________________


"So now you know who gets mystified"
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-30-2008, 01:39 PM
Holst's Avatar
Holst Holst is offline
<Mahler and Me
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: S Crow Wing Co. Minnesota
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddogman View Post
I happen to remember that first one! The title was "Premonition" and the actor was David Garcia, where the solution involved a seat beat cleverly tied between the truck wheel and emergency brake lever. That was Season 1 Episode 8 on One Step Beyond

"Alcoa Presents: One Step Beyond" ran from 1959-1961 and I was 8 years old when I saw it. For some reason that episode has remained stuck in my head all these years...

Sorry, but the two cubes don't ring a bell at the moment.
The Preminition outshined would be thinking of is OL, the second to the last one aired, Dewey Martin was an X-15 pilot who broke the time barrier and saves his kid with the seat belt trick. OSB's premintion involved a falling chandelier (spelling?)
__________________
Main: McIntosh MC2125, McIntosh C27, Ohm Acoustics Walsh 300's, AMC CD8b, Luxman K-373, Marantz 2110, Phillips N4504 w/dbx 222/200/NX40, SOTA Moonbeam w/Shure V15II/JICO-SAS
Upstairs Mancave: Yaoin VK2100, Ohm Walsh F's, Luxman D-373, Sony ST-3950SD
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #36  
Old 01-30-2008, 05:36 PM
outshined's Avatar
outshined outshined is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holst View Post
The Preminition outshined would be thinking of is OL, the second to the last one aired, Dewey Martin was an X-15 pilot who broke the time barrier and saves his kid with the seat belt trick. OSB's premintion involved a falling chandelier (spelling?)
Thanks for the clarification. I have been looking at the OSB dvd's, but there isn't much in the way of plot outlines. I thought it was an episode from The Outer Limits.

With two series of the same genre, and two episodes with the same name, I can see how this can become a little confusing, but sleddogmans response is appreciated nontheless.
__________________


"So now you know who gets mystified"
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-31-2008, 01:35 PM
sleddogman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holst View Post
The Preminition outshined would be thinking of is OL, the second to the last one aired, Dewey Martin was an X-15 pilot who broke the time barrier and saves his kid with the seat belt trick. OSB's premintion involved a falling chandelier (spelling?)
Oops. My bad...
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-31-2008, 04:54 PM
Mark W.'s Avatar
Mark W. Mark W. is offline
Instantly addicted
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Silverton, Oregon
Posts: 63
Both Series. Granted the new one is a little PCish but I've seen a few of those that were while not scary like the ones I saw when I was a little kid or the reruns or the reruns. But at least as good as anything Stargate Atlantis and such have come up with.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-05-2008, 09:54 AM
Ashfan's Avatar
Ashfan Ashfan is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 31
The show first aired when I was 6. There was one episode that scared the CRAP out of me back then. Couldn't remember its name, other than it something to do with radioactive particles. Found a VHS tape on ebay with the title Production and Decay of Strange Particles and decided to gamble that it was the one and buy it, to see if I had the same reaction. It was the episode I remembered and although it was creepy, it didn't quite have the same effect. Still, there was a nice frisson between the 50 year old me and and 44 year old memory.

I also found a stack of VHS tapes for $.49 each at a thrift late last year, so picked up about 15 episodes that way.

There is a nice discussion of the show in Stephen King's Danse Macabre
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.