Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-29-2007, 07:11 PM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
Anybody else a Fan of "The Outer Limits"?

No, not the PC 1990s-2000 version, either...The Original 1963-65 Scare-the-P!ss-Outta-You Leslie Stevens-Joe Stefano series...Odd, murky cinematography...Odd, murky scripts...Hysterical music...$1.98 EFX (but they were good for 1963)... Actually, it WAS an excellent series, some of the most talented people in Hollywood at the time worked in it. ABC, perennially in 3rd place in those days, didn't know quite what to do w/the show, kept cutting the budgets & moving it around. Even after Stevens & Stefano left/got kicked out at the beginning of the 2nd season, they STILL managed to pull off several excellent shows. I think I know why all the revivals of shows like this fail-They attempt to impose a modern-day sensibility on them-try to show "Compassion", "Tolerance", "Relevance", all that other happy horseshit. The people that watch these kinds of shows could care less about seeing a woman as the boss-they watch 'em for one reason & one reason only-To get the living daylights scared out of themselves. Anyhow, anybody else have a soft spot for "Outer Limits" like me ?
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-29-2007, 07:17 PM
bolly bolly is offline
_______
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: CFB Borden
Posts: 55
great series sandy!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-29-2007, 07:31 PM
Snade's Avatar
Snade Snade is offline
humble AK member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago burbs - DuPage county
Posts: 192
When it first ran in the 60's I was about 10 years old and I remember it well. But I never got past the intro "...we are taking over your TV...."

Too fricken scary.

I watched the Twilight Zone and a lot of the sci-fi shows at that time, but Outer Limits was too intense.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-29-2007, 07:38 PM
wajobu's Avatar
wajobu wajobu is offline
Near and Far Horizons
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 206
"There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur, or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to... The Outer Limits."



Chills down the spine, EVERY time!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TheOuterLimits.jpg (6.8 KB, 221 views)
__________________
Yamaha, Manley, ADS, McIntosh, Rega, B&O & Victor Talking Machine

"...As worrying is interest paid on trouble, long before it's due..." - Steve Hackett - "Serpentine Song"


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-29-2007, 07:48 PM
doucanoe's Avatar
doucanoe doucanoe is offline
Registered audio abuser
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 38
I used to sneak and watch it as a kid. It would creep me out afterward for days.

I still to this day, enjoy it better than Twilight Zone.

RC
__________________
Entertainment provided by Prestige Worldwide
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 09-29-2007, 07:53 PM
Fisherdude's Avatar
Fisherdude Fisherdude is offline
The Golden Age of Hi-Fi
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lewiston, ID
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by doucanoe View Post
I used to sneak and watch it as a kid. It would creep me out afterward for days.

I still to this day, enjoy it better than Twilight Zone.

RC
Me too!
__________________
I may be growing older, but I refuse to grow up.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-29-2007, 07:57 PM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
One of my faves was "A Feasability Study"...A well-to-do man in a '63 Lincoln pulls into this strange cloudbank...This horrible hand drops down on his windshield..He's surrounded by these ghastly creatures...We see him screaming as the frenetic music starts...Oh, Mommy ! (grin)
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-29-2007, 08:34 PM
Celt's Avatar
Celt Celt is offline
Peanut Head
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Paragould, Arkansas
Posts: 1,746
I loved them both. Zone had excellent writing, but rarely gave me the creeps. Outer Limits on the other hand...
__________________

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-29-2007, 08:36 PM
wajobu's Avatar
wajobu wajobu is offline
Near and Far Horizons
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 206
As soon as I saw the opening O-scope screen, I was locked!
__________________
Yamaha, Manley, ADS, McIntosh, Rega, B&O & Victor Talking Machine

"...As worrying is interest paid on trouble, long before it's due..." - Steve Hackett - "Serpentine Song"


Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-30-2007, 06:31 AM
ponderbear's Avatar
ponderbear ponderbear is offline
waltzing with sin
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jefferson City MO USA
Posts: 45
Yep, love it. the Zone was pretty cool but the Outer Limits was always, well, out there. Some cable station reran the originals all at once and I taped most of them. "The Galaxy Being" was weird as hell, an auspicious way to start the series.

This series reminds me a lot of the old radio show "Dimension X" which was also fairly weird and scary. Those old shows are a blast- they can be found all over the net, though if you don't mind RealAudio, this is a good place to start.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #11  
Old 09-30-2007, 07:39 AM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
Growing up in the 60's-70's I lived in Fresno, CA which had 4 TV stations IIRC. I was programming starved as much of what was on was local station generated. Ugh! We'd drive down to visit my relatives in Socal and there were 25-30 stations along with what seemed to be hundreds programs I'd never seen before. The Outer Limits absolutely hooked me the first time I stumbled across it. The 2D creature, the ant criminals, the human made alien to infiltrate aliens, man it just went on & on. The Outer Limits was like the Sears Screamer drag bicycles to Schwinn's StingRays. Wilder and more out there. Maybe not as good over the long haul but they sure got your attention.

More here -

Outer Limits Episodes
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-30-2007, 07:53 AM
kbs48's Avatar
kbs48 kbs48 is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Gainesville,Floriduh
Posts: 9
I loved that series growing up,now when I see it(You can still get it from Netflix)It's great seeing the old movie stars that were just starting out.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-01-2007, 01:14 PM
Holst's Avatar
Holst Holst is offline
<Mahler and Me
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: S Crow Wing Co. Minnesota
Posts: 217
I loved it as a kid, and my family had no problem with me watching it. The Architects of Fear, Robert Culp being redesigned to be a fake alien to get the public to worry about invaders from space to end the cold war, The Sixth Finger, David McCallum is pushed through a few millieum of evolution in a few weeks and begins viewing the rest of us as little, weak beings.
The Man Who Was Never Born, Martin Landau is a mutant from the future out to kill the father of the scientist who brought humanity down and create a future that never included him
O.B.I.T., the rare TV or movie to scare the crap out of me as a kid. A machine that can spy on people without them knowing only to see the feet of some creature sneaking up behind them
Fun and Games, Nick Adams gets to play a game, if he wins, he doesn't die.
The Invisible Enemy, funny thing about landing on Mars, evryone dies.
Demon with a Glass Hand, Robert Culp has no memory, someone has amputated his hand and replaced it with a glass version that talks to him, and Aliens are trying to kill him

Really, I need to buy the DVD's.
__________________
Main: McIntosh MC2125, McIntosh C27, Ohm Acoustics Walsh 300's, AMC CD8b, Luxman K-373, Marantz 2110, Phillips N4504 w/dbx 222/200/NX40, SOTA Moonbeam w/Shure V15II/JICO-SAS
Upstairs Mancave: Yaoin VK2100, Ohm Walsh F's, Luxman D-373, Sony ST-3950SD
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-01-2007, 01:18 PM
onepixel's Avatar
onepixel onepixel is offline
.
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 154
I loved that show as a kid. Used to scare/freak me out every time!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-01-2007, 02:16 PM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
"The Zanti Misfits" somehow managed to be hokey & scary at the same time...
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:34 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.