Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-10-2006, 01:23 PM
herbman1975 herbman1975 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North East Georgia
Posts: 23
Dads system from 'RISKY BUSINESS' Phase Linear?

I now find myself looking through old movies for hi-fi gear.

In the beginning, the dad tells intergalatic warlord XENU - ooops! I mean Tom Cruise -

"Too much bass. How did the EQ get like this? Don't touch my gear while I am gone, my house - my rules."

I think I will tell my kid - "Break my gear and I will destroy you!"

Anyway, looks like Phase Linear gear. Anyone know for sure?

EDIT: OMG Rebecca DeMornay is so hot! Unedited Cinemax version is so much better than the TBS one!

herbs
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-10-2006, 06:23 PM
cabinover's Avatar
cabinover cabinover is offline
Dazed and Confused
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vermont, USA
Posts: 32
Are you trying to say that there was something AND someone in that movie besides a train, a staircase, a windowsill, and Rebecca DeMornay?

No way!!! I'll have to watch it again.
__________________
Do I understand??...Ummm....Well....no
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-10-2006, 06:55 PM
kichijai's Avatar
kichijai kichijai is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Conn.
Posts: 51
yeah thats a phase linear 7000 cassette deck--a monster at 38 lbs and 1350 bucks from 1979.
__________________
Acurus A250, RL-11, JVC XL-1050, Ohm Walsh 2
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-13-2006, 05:48 AM
thedelihaus's Avatar
thedelihaus thedelihaus is offline
See me,touch me,Thiel me
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boston Area, Massachusetts
Posts: 178
At first I was a bit confused. Do I pay more attention to the Porche, the stereo, or the girl?

Then I got my prioritys straight.

How dare Joel put his hands all over her!?!

That poor EQ...
__________________
What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got, say, pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angels' trumpets and devils' trombones. You are invited!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-13-2006, 07:47 AM
bordeno's Avatar
bordeno bordeno is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Finksburg, MD
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by kichijai
yeah thats a phase linear 7000 cassette deck--a monster at 38 lbs and 1350 bucks from 1979.
Really cool deck. Wonder what the rest of the system was?

Rebecca DeMornay never did much for me, but a Porsche 928 was one of my dream cars back then.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 12-17-2006, 07:13 AM
cabinover's Avatar
cabinover cabinover is offline
Dazed and Confused
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vermont, USA
Posts: 32
She never did much for me either...but that was only because I've never met her.
__________________
Do I understand??...Ummm....Well....no
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-17-2006, 07:30 AM
yamahammer's Avatar
yamahammer yamahammer is offline
mikiesmadness continues
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: land of lincoln(ILLINOISE)
Posts: 20
when she is in the window "SPROING" are you ready joel ????? HELL YEAH
__________________
YAMAHA A-1 B-2X C-2X CR 1020,1040, 2020 CX630 CDX 1120 CDC765 K-2000 M80(2) NS10T NS30T NS75T NS-500 NS690 NS890 PF800 PX3 T1,T2,T7 NAKAMICHI CONCEPT 5.5 SANYO PLUS A35 T35 T55 MARANTZ 2015 INFINITY 9 BOTTLEHEAD Hpm 100,200 DYNACO MAGNAVOX THORENS TD166MKII TECHNICS
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-17-2006, 02:05 PM
herbman1975 herbman1975 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North East Georgia
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bordeno
Really cool deck. Wonder what the rest of the system was?
It looked like Phase Linear as well. I am not sure about the EQ, but there appears to be a tuner that has the little silver rack handles.

herbalicious
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-17-2006, 03:54 PM
Earlsays's Avatar
Earlsays Earlsays is offline
Commander Cody Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Discovery Bay, CA
Posts: 34
I just watched it last night.....to me the cassette deck looked like a pioneer floroscan model of sorts
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-18-2006, 08:08 AM
JimmyNeutron's Avatar
JimmyNeutron JimmyNeutron is offline
Resurrected Cylon
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 8
Phaes Linear 7000 cassette deck.

Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #11  
Old 12-18-2006, 12:13 PM
slow_jazz's Avatar
slow_jazz slow_jazz is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SE Michigan, Downriver....
Posts: 148
with rebecca demornay in the movie how could you notice anything else...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-18-2006, 02:02 PM
doctorbongo's Avatar
doctorbongo doctorbongo is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow_jazz
with rebecca demornay in the movie how could you notice anything else...
I heard she's not very good at setting equalizers. I mean, just LOOK at that thing!
__________________
Never said I was a stool pigeon. Never said I was a diplomat.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-18-2006, 04:21 PM
JimmyNeutron's Avatar
JimmyNeutron JimmyNeutron is offline
Resurrected Cylon
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 8
Pioneer made this model, as well as others for Phase Linear. Here is the Pioneer CT-A1 version:

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-18-2006, 04:24 PM
avguytx's Avatar
avguytx avguytx is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 23
Man, that is a ton of buttons on a tape deck! I'm glad I don't listen to cassette! haha.

I had written about the cool silver rack system in the movie "Private Benjamin" but all I got was comments on Goldie Hawn. Ok, she was hot then but I want to know what the equipment was, still!
__________________
"....we can clone sheep, but we apparently can't make a short paper tube without a raised seam." A quote from Art Dudley, Stereophile, Oct 2008, in regards to Lowther coil/coil formers.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-18-2006, 05:11 PM
bordeno's Avatar
bordeno bordeno is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Finksburg, MD
Posts: 65
Wonder how that model spec'd out compared to Nakamichis? Phase Linear's tuner was a big box without much in it, but looked cool. But they sure got the styling together on that cassette deck. Cool meters. Very cool.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.