Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-09-2006, 02:15 AM
thedelihaus's Avatar
thedelihaus thedelihaus is offline
See me,touch me,Thiel me
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boston Area, Massachusetts
Posts: 178
Ultraviolet- I'd rather get sunburn...

The movie Ultraviolet.

The only problem with this 90 minute, 25 second film is it is 90 minutes, 25 seconds too long.

Okay, it was a noble effort of a film- maybe. There was an attempt to emulate the comic book style of the flow, the colors, the pace of an arisian's graphic novel. It couldn't make up for the fact however that this was a misguided and sloppily constructed film.

For a rapid-fire paced film, an ACTION film, I caught myself feeling like I wanted to shut it off and give up on it (even only 15 minutes into it). forcing myself through it, I found many times I was starting to doze off from boredom and growing frustration that was wearing on me, tiring me out- even with the frenetic music pumping through the soundsystem.

I won't get into the villianous main charactor Vicecardinum Ferdinand Daxus too much- the actor, Nick Chinlund, basically played a stereotypical villian to the over-the-top hilt. Think of Joe Izuzu trying to be bad-ass.

And the young boy who played the young charactor of the borderline-pubescent clone of Vicecardinum Ferdinand Daxus by the name of Six... well, I can't tell if he's just another product of the well-marketed youth stars of tomorrow factory, devoid of talent, or if he's a talented lad and the poor script, storyline, and pace of the film left him without a chance in hell to get it right.

and as for actor Sebastien Andrieu, who played the goody/baddy charactor of Nerva- he should stick to modeling Calvin Clein underwear and CK cologne. He's got the hair and the curled-lip snarl for it.

The only redeemable acting was done by a fellow named William Fichtner, who wasn't bad at all- he played the tormented, love-lorn scientist do-gooder Garth. But the fella, he had nothing to work with here. Like a carpenter with a headfull of skill and a handfull of nails, but no hammer. You may know William Fichtner as the voice of Ken Rosenberg- a charactor in the Grand Theft Auto video games. Yes, he's probably better known as a voice in a video game series. Hey just may have promise though. The screentime he had here was too short to really tell...

What about the star, you may ask? Granted, Milla Jovovich is a scrumptious feast for the eyes. And the outfits she's poured into would get any post-modern, urban, artsy-type heterosexual male salivating at the mouth. Her lithe body, perfect makeup, and Betty Page/Cleopatra hairdo meets St. Marks street Manic Panic punky-colored hair keeps a bit of fire, a little sizzle in the scenes.

But even with her serpentine frame sashaying, slicing and dicing through most of those 90 minutes and 25 seconds, it still isn't enough to keep this hot-blooded male interested, nor awake. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...



Your mileage may vary, of course...
__________________
What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got, say, pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angels' trumpets and devils' trombones. You are invited!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-09-2006, 02:36 AM
TheLordofPain's Avatar
TheLordofPain TheLordofPain is offline
Ouch!
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 10
Is that the one with Black chick with monkey feet?

Or is it the other one? I saw the one with the Black chick with monkey feet, that sucked. If it's the other one I remember seeing a commercial for it and thinking, Didn't they just make this movie?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-09-2006, 02:51 AM
thedelihaus's Avatar
thedelihaus thedelihaus is offline
See me,touch me,Thiel me
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boston Area, Massachusetts
Posts: 178
Ultraviolet

tagline- "The Blood War is On"

dunno about any monkey feet. You've inrtigued me...

here's the flick-

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0370032/

here are a bunch of comments about the film by others- most quite in agreement with me.
__________________
What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got, say, pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angels' trumpets and devils' trombones. You are invited!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-09-2006, 03:01 AM
TheLordofPain's Avatar
TheLordofPain TheLordofPain is offline
Ouch!
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 10
Oh... the other movie had a blonde... Err... I'm used to seeing her blonde anyway... found it.

Æon Flux

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0402022/

That movie sucked like a Dyson.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-09-2006, 03:04 AM
thedelihaus's Avatar
thedelihaus thedelihaus is offline
See me,touch me,Thiel me
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boston Area, Massachusetts
Posts: 178
I think they both should have been re-titled.


Æon Sux, and UltraVomit...
__________________
What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got, say, pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angels' trumpets and devils' trombones. You are invited!
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 12-09-2006, 03:14 AM
TheLordofPain's Avatar
TheLordofPain TheLordofPain is offline
Ouch!
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 10
Sounds about right.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-09-2006, 03:15 AM
2DualsNotEnough's Avatar
2DualsNotEnough 2DualsNotEnough is offline
The Goodbye Look
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Phoenix,AZ
Posts: 308
I had seen Equilibrium by the same writer/director,which uses the same fighting style,and similar back story,if Im not mistaken.Christian Bale was the star,and it was a nifty little action flick,not too stupid,either.
Imagine my surprise when I saw this piece of cinematic debris.
Jimmy
__________________
Current System:Cambridge Audio 640 Azur v2/NAD pp-2/,Oppo DV-970HD dvd/cd/,Luxman T-12 Tuner,Technics SL-1200 Mk5/Grado Red,ADS L810.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-09-2006, 03:25 AM
thedelihaus's Avatar
thedelihaus thedelihaus is offline
See me,touch me,Thiel me
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boston Area, Massachusetts
Posts: 178
Jimmy, Christian Bale is what I consider a late bloomer, but definately a talented fella- loved him in Batman Begins and especiaally The Machinist- if you haven't seen The Machinist, I highly recommend it.

But I didn'y like him at all in Amercan Psycho nor Velvet Goldmine. He's dramatically improved with time.

I've heard nothing but good things about the film Equilibrium, and heard the director Kurt Wimmer (who did both Equilibrium and Ultraviolet) did a good job with Equilibrium. seems something went awefully wrong with Ultraviolet though.
__________________
What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got, say, pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angels' trumpets and devils' trombones. You are invited!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-09-2006, 03:33 AM
2DualsNotEnough's Avatar
2DualsNotEnough 2DualsNotEnough is offline
The Goodbye Look
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Phoenix,AZ
Posts: 308
I liked Christian Bale a lot in the Prestige,also.Its hard to believe hes the same kid from Empire of the Sun.
Jimmy
__________________
Current System:Cambridge Audio 640 Azur v2/NAD pp-2/,Oppo DV-970HD dvd/cd/,Luxman T-12 Tuner,Technics SL-1200 Mk5/Grado Red,ADS L810.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-10-2006, 02:41 AM
Dusty Chalk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I enjoyed it, but I definitely see why other people don't like it. Then again, I'm a Milla fanboy, so she can do no wrong. I love the building-top sequence, and the over-the-top superheroics of the main character in both movies.

But I hated the special effects (in Ultraviolet). You could see the friggin' polygons.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #11  
Old 12-13-2006, 09:01 PM
Donny's Avatar
Donny Donny is offline
Lets be bad guys.
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vidor TX
Posts: 121
Ultraviolet was terrible no doubt.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-14-2006, 08:34 AM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
I liked Aeon Flux, quite a bit actually. It was decent sci-fi for me. However, I concede that had I not been in the right mood, I could have hated it too.

When I saw the first X-Men I was on a plane. I hated it. Later, my wife rented it as my kids wanted to see it. So I watched it again. Complete comic book and I loved it the second time around. Mindset is everything on some films. I have not seen Ultraviolet yet.
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-14-2006, 10:27 AM
Duffinator's Avatar
Duffinator Duffinator is offline
Lost in the Supermarket
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: ROCKville, CA
Posts: 115
I have Ultraviolet in my Netflix queue, mainly for Milla Jojovich and I read it was pretty crappy. But sometimes crappy sci-fi flicks can have a good message. But I don't think this is going to be one of them.

I like Aeon Flux, mainly for Charlize Theron and the style of the movie. I thought the style and action was very well done. The story line was fairly weak and I gave it a three star rating.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-15-2006, 08:27 PM
Bill22
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
i own both ultraviolet and aeon flux and i can say with sertainty that they are a waste of DVDs. Oh and Bale was the best part of An American Psycho!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-16-2006, 06:37 AM
thedelihaus's Avatar
thedelihaus thedelihaus is offline
See me,touch me,Thiel me
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boston Area, Massachusetts
Posts: 178
Bale was definately the best part of American Psycho, but for some reason, it didn't jive well with me.

I'll give it a second chance.

couldn't stand him in Velvet goldmine, but that was almost 10 years ago. Loved his performance in Batman Begins, enough to buy it. Also I think he was fabulous in The Machinist.

The Machinist- what a great flick!

http://www.themachinistthemovie.com/
__________________
What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got, say, pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angels' trumpets and devils' trombones. You are invited!
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:34 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.