![]() |
|
#1
|
||||
|
||||
|
What's a classic TV fan to do, lol? Some shows are starting to make it out on DVD (yes, finally The White Shadow made it!) but there are still many that haven't made it out to DVD and aren't being shown on TV any longer.
One show that automatically comes to mind is Barnaby Jones. I vaguely remember it as a regular series when I was a kid, but mainly remember it from reruns. A few years ago, PAX-TV started airing it again, but suddenly stopped saying that it might never be shown again! It sported an all-star cast and ran for quite a few years. It seems to me that A & E or someone would have picked it up by now, but no dice.B.J. and the Bear/Lobo is another show that hasn't made it out to TV or DVD to my knowledge. I know this might be considered along the lines of corny TV, but I loved it as kid. With CMT picking up The Dukes of Hazzard and shows like Trick My Truck, it's a little surprising they haven't decided on BJ! Hee-Haw. Well, it's technically out on DVD, but Time-Life is piece-mealing it to death. Out of almost 600 episodes, they've released only a handful. CMT was showing some of the episodes last month, but then inexplicably dropped it again. So what shows would you like to see again?
__________________
|
|
#2
|
||||
|
||||
|
"My Mother The Car"? I loved that car. What was it? An Edsel?
|
|
#3
|
||||
|
||||
|
I believe it was an Edsel, lol!
__________________
|
|
#4
|
||||
|
||||
|
1. Without a doubt, Roswell. Yeah, the entire series is out now on DVD, but I just wish they'd re-air them. Then I could save 'em on videotape for free!
![]() 2. No question about it: Max Headroom. I didn't have a VCR when it was first shown and unceremoniously dumped by ABC for being too close to actual portrayals of TV executives! Tom
__________________
Tom |
|
#5
|
||||
|
||||
|
rofl @ #2!!!!
__________________
|
| Audiokarma |
|
#6
|
||||
|
||||
|
Oh yeah, Max Headroom, that's a strong n-n-n-N-NUMber 2! Number 2.
|
|
#7
|
||||
|
||||
|
Outer Limits. Yeah, make it B&W, DON'T "Politically-Correct" it to death, just have some good stories that scare the $#*% outta us...
__________________
Benevolent Despot |
|
#8
|
||||
|
||||
|
"My Mother (voiced by Ann Southern) The Car" was a 1928 Porter.
|
|
#9
|
||||
|
||||
|
I think the actual car was a '26 or '27 Ford T-model, heavily modified. If I could see the front axle, I could tell, as Model-Ts had no front brakes, & a transverse spring.. Another possibility is that it was a '28 Ford A-model, but it looks more like a T.
__________________
Benevolent Despot |
|
#10
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
|
| Audiokarma |
|
#11
|
||||
|
||||
|
It would not be unusual for "My Mother the Car's" producers to take artistic license with a prop, so hodrodding a Ford is certainly within reason. However, the lyrics to the theme song reveal:
MY MOTHER THE CAR Theme by Paul Hampton Everybody knows in a second life, we all come back sooner or later. As anything from a pussycat to a man eating alligator. Well you all may think my story, is more fiction than it's fact. But believe it or not my mother dear decided she'd come back. As a car... She's my very own guiding star. A 1928 Porter. That's my mother dear. 'Cause she helps me through everything I do And I'm so glad she's near. My Mother the Car. My Mother the Car. |
|
#12
|
||||
|
||||
|
Wikipedia said the actual car was made by George Barris using a bunch of different parts from various makes. But I still think the basic chassis was either a T or A Model Ford-Back in the mid-'60s, they were cheap, readily available, strong, & could be easily modified to accomodate virtually any engine/drivetrain combination. It prolly wasn't run too much-I'd guess they had a fair amount of "stock" footage of the car, turning, driving past the camera, pulling to a stop, etc. The "Batmobile" was a '56 Lincoln Futura showcar that was similarly modified by Barris, & there were really only about 5 or 6 different scenes of the Batmobile moving, if you remember.
__________________
Benevolent Despot |
|
#13
|
||||
|
||||
|
Wow, was I off, Edsels certainly weren't around in 1928!
Thanks for the clarification, ekimetsok er, Mike. |
|
#14
|
||||
|
||||
|
The Prisoner! (late sixties)
Patrick McGoohan was a british secret agent ("number six") trapped on a wierd island that looked like a resort in Puerto Vallarta. When he tries to escape a outer limit-ish weather balloon thing bounces along, smothers him up and brings him back to his suite so he can start all over again. All the time he's plotting to kill the (never seen) warden "number one". I think in the end he discovers that he has been "number one", all along. Full of sexy british women, violence, bizzare sub-plots and sub-text, it was just perfect to help mold a pre-teen's psyche. |
|
#15
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
Best taken in smaller doses I'm pretty sure "The Prisoner" out there on DVD too. And if you like that, Emma Peel will certainly also be on the list
__________________
I think the world is run by "C" students - Al McGuire |
| Audiokarma |
![]() |
|
|