Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-09-2006, 03:17 AM
thedelihaus's Avatar
thedelihaus thedelihaus is offline
See me,touch me,Thiel me
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boston Area, Massachusetts
Posts: 178
A History of Violence

Directed by oddball director David Cronenberg (Crash, Naked Lunch, Videodrome, Scanners), I was very, very impressed with his reserved, straighforward direction (no creative and brilliant but hard to decipher moments here). The acting by Viggo Mortensen was excellent as a totally believable country-simple family man and former (possible) Philly toughneck, while Ed Harris played the perfect tough-as-nails straight-up gangster, and William Hurt pulled off a powerful, cold-blooded, conflicted loving brother and head honcho gangster. All three were exceptional in their depth and soul, and approach on the characters in the film.

Greg Bryk and Stephen McHattie play stunning sociopath killers, also in perfect form.

Maria Bello plays a great role here as well, as passionate, faithful and loving wife, full of her own confusion and conflict.

The son, played by Ashton Holmes, was one of the few weak points in the film. Not a total failure, but just not up to the other performances her, despite glimpses of quality.

Kyle Schmid as the school bully pulls it off effortlessly (though the charactor is about as deep as a wading pool), and Peter MacNeill as the small-town sherriff gets the job done.

All in all, although at times extremely violent, and with moments of gruesome beatings and killing, an excellent case study into the minds, and characters of a good collection of many types of personalities.

Kudos both to the direction of this film, and to the excellent approach of the actors.

Highly recommended, it's a smart, well-done film here.
__________________
What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got, say, pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angels' trumpets and devils' trombones. You are invited!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-10-2006, 05:00 AM
Rob Babcock's Avatar
Rob Babcock Rob Babcock is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 10
I would have to concur- this film is full of wonderful acting and strong writing. Truly excellent. I was fortunate enough to go into this one with little knowledge or preconceived notions of the movie and was very pleased. Maria Bello is a favorite of mine and Viggo Mortensen shows tremendous range and nuance. Truly he's one of the elite actors of his generation; his work runs the gamut from action fare to quirky indie flicks, but he pulls them all off with equal aplomb. Not many actors can manage a convincing portrayal of the duality of his character in this film and have both sides be equally compelling.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-10-2006, 09:04 AM
doucanoe's Avatar
doucanoe doucanoe is offline
Registered audio abuser
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 38
"A History of Violence" was one of the most memorable movies I have seen in some time. We had not heard of it prior to that but it sounded interesting. I was pleasantly surprised and the acting all around was very good.

RC
__________________
Entertainment provided by Prestige Worldwide
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-10-2006, 11:10 AM
danhagan danhagan is offline
DanHagan
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Lilburn, GA
Posts: 4
I loved the cheerleader scene. I kept waiting for another one...but the movie was still good!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-10-2006, 03:24 PM
Fisherdude's Avatar
Fisherdude Fisherdude is offline
The Golden Age of Hi-Fi
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lewiston, ID
Posts: 324
What a coincidence! A customer at work just this morning was telling me about this film, and raved about it too. Is it available on DVD?
__________________
I may be growing older, but I refuse to grow up.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 09-10-2006, 05:57 PM
Dusty Chalk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Yes, it is available on DVD.

I, too, enjoyed this film. Although from the trailer, I kind of got the idea that it might be a remake of Cape Fear/etc., it ended up being a completely different film. I liked not knowing what it was about going into it, but would've been even better off if I had not seen the trailer.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-10-2006, 06:58 PM
wajobu's Avatar
wajobu wajobu is offline
Near and Far Horizons
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 206
Oh, our elder son has a copy of this DVD and I have been meaning to watch it...since seeing the trailer in the movie theaters earlier this year. Our son is a movie buff (and is an aspiring screen writer/film-maker) and he recommends it highly so I am looking forward to seeing it!

Thanks for the further encouragement and reminder!

Ed Harris is brilliant in almost any role.
__________________
Yamaha, Manley, ADS, McIntosh, Rega, B&O & Victor Talking Machine

"...As worrying is interest paid on trouble, long before it's due..." - Steve Hackett - "Serpentine Song"


Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-10-2006, 06:59 PM
Rob Babcock's Avatar
Rob Babcock Rob Babcock is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhagan
I loved the cheerleader scene. I kept waiting for another one...but the movie was still good!
Oh yeah! Maria Bello is fine. She could really "raise your spirits."
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-10-2006, 07:18 PM
Fisherdude's Avatar
Fisherdude Fisherdude is offline
The Golden Age of Hi-Fi
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lewiston, ID
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
... but would've been even better off if I had not seen the trailer.
Don't anybody say anything!!
__________________
I may be growing older, but I refuse to grow up.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-12-2006, 05:26 AM
thedelihaus's Avatar
thedelihaus thedelihaus is offline
See me,touch me,Thiel me
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boston Area, Massachusetts
Posts: 178
Fisherdude-

Turns out that the whole thing is nothing more than a dream sequence.









Just kidding.













Or... am I?
__________________
What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got, say, pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angels' trumpets and devils' trombones. You are invited!
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #11  
Old 09-12-2006, 03:54 PM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
***POSSIBLE SPOILER WARNING***















I've seen this film 2x, once on the plane & another as a follow-up. I was pretty underwhelmed when I saw it on the plane but my attention was not fully on the movie. Enough were saying good things about it so I gave it another shot. I was still underwhelmed the second time around. Maybe i was tainted from the first viewing?

I liked the premise & the initial 45 minutes or so but that the film fell flat after a certain sequence involving Ed Harris outside the house with Viggo & his son. I agree that Ed Harris can be the bomb (I was never here). (I was never here either). Are you catching my drift? 1st half good, 2nd half dead. Indeed, 2nd half as if directed by someone else; a discontinuity.

I like Maria Bello & liked her in ER way back when. She didn't bring much to this film for me. Her best work for me was in Payback if anyone recalls that one w/ Mel Gibson.

A History of Violence gets a B as I saw it. Not terrible, not really that good either.
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-12-2006, 05:32 PM
Dusty Chalk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
What do you mean 'possible'? That was a 'definite' spoiler.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-12-2006, 07:10 PM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
What do you mean 'possible'? That was a 'definite' spoiler.
That's why I put possible spoiler warning at the beginning of my post separated from my comments by a wide margin. It would give anyone who didn't want to know fair warning before they continued to read what I wrote.

If you didn't want to know how I felt, you didn't have to read it.
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-12-2006, 07:48 PM
Dusty Chalk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
No, you did good, I just questioned your qualifier -- "spoiler warning" would've been adequate.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-12-2006, 07:54 PM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
No, you did good, I just questioned your qualifier -- "spoiler warning" would've been adequate.
Other than I didn't like the movie, I don't think I gave away the actual plot point I was alluding to. At least I didn't mean to. Believe me, I was as surprised as anyone when Ed Harris opened his shirt up & you could see the Wondebra underneath.
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.