![]() |
|
#1
|
||||
|
||||
|
submarine movie cliche
So what's the first movie to use the "hey, lets shoot debris and our dead guy out the tubes to make them think they sunk us" strategy. I'll bet I've seen it at least 5 movies. My vote is "The Enemy Below". How many can you think of?
__________________
Kevin |
|
#2
|
||||
|
||||
|
Is there a prize?
(I always make up a wise reply if I don't know)
__________________
**your witty remark here for just pennies a day!!!** |
|
#3
|
||||
|
||||
|
I don't know the first movie to do that but I can name one that did....U571
And Das Boot perhaps.
__________________
...and pass the mustard. A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore. ~ Yogi Berra |
|
#4
|
||||
|
||||
|
Operation Petticoat
Down Periscope |
|
#5
|
||||
|
||||
|
U571....I love that movie. It has it's cheesy moments but those depth charges rattle my house with 2 (yes 2) Sunfire subwoofers!
__________________
"....we can clone sheep, but we apparently can't make a short paper tube without a raised seam." A quote from Art Dudley, Stereophile, Oct 2008, in regards to Lowther coil/coil formers. |
| Audiokarma |
|
#6
|
|||
|
|||
|
That was used in one of the original Star Trek episodes too.
Against the Romulans. Geeks of the world.....Unite! |
|
#7
|
||||
|
||||
|
Run Silent, Run Deep
Run Silent Run Deep (1958):
The captain of a submarine sunk by the Japanese during WWII is finally given a chance to skipper another sub after a year of working a desk job. His singleminded determination for revenge against the destroyer that sunk his previous vessel puts his new crew in unneccessary danger. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052151/
__________________
ads | Canton | Denon | Dual | harman/kardon | Infinity | KLH | Luxman | Nakamichi | nht | Ortofon | Sony | Yamaha |
|
#8
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
Any others with the dead crewman "used"?
__________________
Kevin |
|
#9
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
__________________
Kevin |
|
#10
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time. |
| Audiokarma |
|
#11
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
(*Anything with Mitchum)
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time. |
|
#12
|
||||
|
||||
|
I can't help with that specific bit, but my favorite submarine movie cliche is closing the distance between the boat and the enemy torpedo to a short enough range that the "fish" is under the distance required to arm itself and bounces off the hull harmlessly. (Hunt for Red October, Crimson Tide... others I'm sure.)
__________________
"Having a moustache tells people that I listen to the Little River Band with giant headphones..." -Peter Griffin |
|
#13
|
||||
|
||||
|
This thread inspired me to put a bunch of submarine movies in the Netflix queue. My wife will be expecting a Woody Allen flick in the mail and it'll be Robert Mitchum. Ha ha.
|
|
#14
|
||||
|
||||
|
Hell and High Water (1954)
A privately-financed scientist and his colleagues hire an ex-Navy officer (Widmark) to conduct an Alaskan submarine expedition in order to prevent a Red Chinese anti-American plot that may lead to World War III. Mixes deviously plotted schoolboy fiction with submarine spectacle and cold war heroics. Directed by Samuel Fuller Staring Richard Widmark http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047073/ Unfortunately, this movie is NOT available on VHS or DVD. It is occasionally shown on TCM.
__________________
ads | Canton | Denon | Dual | harman/kardon | Infinity | KLH | Luxman | Nakamichi | nht | Ortofon | Sony | Yamaha |
|
#15
|
|||
|
|||
|
Well more cliches
How about the depth gauge with the red line, captain we can't go THAT deep!!! And water starts to spray and they tighten bolts in desperation. There just has to be one bolt that will keep it together. The guy that has to die or almost die swimming through flooded compartments to tighten a line or push a switch or whatever for the good of the crew. |
| Audiokarma |
![]() |
|
|