Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-10-2006, 01:49 PM
goldear's Avatar
goldear goldear is offline
Certifiable Audio Junkie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 32
New Dr Who

I've been searching for the old Dr Who thread, but it appears to have mysteriously vanished... So I guess that I'll start another!

Did anyone else watch the season Finally? Was I the only one to be surprised that they regenerated the latest Doctor after only a single season? That would have to make him the shortest lived Doctor ever (with the exception of the made for TV movie).

I got the impressions that this show was actually getting somewhat popular. So it seems pretty strange to me that the BBC would have fired the latest Doctor so quickly. He actually seemed like a pretty good Doctor to me...
__________________

Last edited by goldear; 06-10-2006 at 03:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-10-2006, 02:24 PM
Fast_Eddie's Avatar
Fast_Eddie Fast_Eddie is offline
Upper-middle fi
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Denver Colorado
Posts: 96
I was surprised too. Loved the season though! I did have a bit of a nit to pick however. If Rose could look into the heart of the Tardis like that and save the world, then the Dr. could take all that, that, whatever it is out of her like that and then do his little transform trick to stay alive, why didn't he just look into the heart of the Tardis himself, save the world and do the little trick? I mean, why mess around with the whole wave whatever thing? That was going to kill everything on the planet, but the time beam light show thing just killed the bad guys.

Ok, I'm thinking too hard about this.

Ed
__________________
The jet pilots wailed
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-10-2006, 06:27 PM
PabloL PabloL is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4
The Doctor

On one of the Making of shows on the New DVD's I happened to "borrow" from a friend, they said that they wanted to show a doctor transformation but they also wanted the Doctor to have developed before hand so that the transformation had an impact on the audience. Anybody happen to see "The Christmas Invasion?" The new, new doctor is the guy who played Inspector Crumb's son in the Last Harry Potter movie. He's ok as the new doctor but I liked the First Season guy better...
__________________
Pablol
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-10-2006, 11:28 PM
goldear's Avatar
goldear goldear is offline
Certifiable Audio Junkie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 32
Quote:
The new, new doctor is the guy who played Inspector Crumb's son in the Last Harry Potter movie. He's ok as the new doctor but I liked the First Season guy better...
Actually, that would be Barty Crouch Junior in the 4rth Harry Potter Movie. My wife and I recognized him almost instantly too. As for liking him beter or worse; that has yet to be seen. He had just better not be doing that annoying thing with his tongue that he did in that movie though...

But it still seems like a shame to get rid of a perfectly good doctor so soon for no good reason.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-11-2006, 12:07 AM
PabloL PabloL is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4
Yes

Your right, I knew it was something like that... Watching the second season now, Its good.
__________________
Pablol
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 06-14-2006, 12:20 AM
danj's Avatar
danj danj is offline
modern primitive
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Western Oregon
Posts: 87
I've seen it only once and was too distracted to be able to pay much attention.

How does the new Doctor compare to the likes of Tom Baker (the ultimate doctor) or John Pertwee or Sylvester McCoy or the other great Doctor Whos of old?
__________________
The older I get the more I like my T90
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-14-2006, 01:43 AM
juncers's Avatar
juncers juncers is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London,U.K.
Posts: 7
Goldear,
BBC didn't fire the doctor. He walked. He's actually a respected "serious" actor and didn't want to get identified with "the Doctor" like Connery did as Bond. The Beeb would have kept him there forever. They begged him to stay. He revived a dying series and made it more popular ( mainstream popular) than it ever was.

Ray
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-14-2006, 07:24 AM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by juncers
Goldear,
BBC didn't fire the doctor. He walked. He's actually a respected "serious" actor and didn't want to get identified with "the Doctor" like Connery did as Bond. The Beeb would have kept him there forever. They begged him to stay. He revived a dying series and made it more popular ( mainstream popular) than it ever was.

Ray
I was quite surprised at how much I enjoyed the new series. The Dr. was part of that. Too bad he's gone but if you are going to walk away from something, do it like that.
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-14-2006, 01:05 PM
dr*audio's Avatar
dr*audio dr*audio is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 93
I too liked Eggleston as the Doctor. I have been watching the new ones and the new guy is just as good, just different. The chemistry between him and Rose is still strong. Rose gets alot of character developement, and a much larger role than any previous companion. The story lines are very good, too. I don't want to reveal any surprises for those who haven't seen it. Both new doctors are as strong actors as Tom Baker, and as fun to watch.
__________________
Warren

"No choice for sugar, but what choice could there be,
But to drown in coffee, or drown in tea?"
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-14-2006, 01:55 PM
goldear's Avatar
goldear goldear is offline
Certifiable Audio Junkie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr*audio
I too liked Eggleston as the Doctor. I have been watching the new ones and the new guy is just as good, just different. The chemistry between him and Rose is still strong. Rose gets alot of character developement, and a much larger role than any previous companion. The story lines are very good, too. I don't want to reveal any surprises for those who haven't seen it. Both new doctors are as strong actors as Tom Baker, and as fun to watch.
Ok, so how exactly are you guys watching the new series? The Scifi Channel has halted after showing season 1. Do you guys have a PBS channel that still runs the Doctor?

And I agree that Eggelston was certainly up near Tom Baker's class. Now what's really funny is that my wife is now a bigger fan than I am! She now wants to watch some of my old tapes with original series episodes on them, and always wants to watch the Doctor first whenever it is recorded on the Tivo.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #11  
Old 06-15-2006, 07:11 AM
dr*audio's Avatar
dr*audio dr*audio is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 93
If you have high speed internet you can download the shows, new and old, with e-mule. It is a peer to peer anonymous file sharing program.
http://www.emule-project.net/home/perl/general.cgi?l=1
No, our PBS station sucks.Don't even get me started on them. They didn't play any Doctor Who newer than Peter Davidson, or older than Jon Pertwee. They don't play any interesting programs at all except during pledge drives. I lived in Los Angeles for 7 years and my mom lives in San Jose and I know what good PBS stations are all about. Such a shame...
__________________
Warren

"No choice for sugar, but what choice could there be,
But to drown in coffee, or drown in tea?"
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-25-2006, 10:49 PM
dtuomi's Avatar
dtuomi dtuomi is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr*audio
II lived in Los Angeles for 7 years and my mom lives in San Jose and I know what good PBS stations are all about. Such a shame...
The local PBS stations out here in LA aren't quite what they once were in my opinion. The whole PBS system seems to be really revolving around those pledge breaks now that they basically don't get any money anywhere else. How are you going to have experimental or different TV if you have to always beg for money and be afraid of offending some funding source. Just my two cents.

As for Doctor Who, love the show. The new ones were pretty good. I found it annoying that it seemed like every other one was like Saun of the Undead or something though. It seems like the new producer has a thing about people being taken over by outside forces. Still, it isn't exactly the first time the series has had a theme for a season. Back in Tom Baker's day they went through a season with every gothic horror monster redone sci-fi. I liked the one with the brain in the jar, Brain of Mobius I think it was. Very nice twist on Frankenstein.

David
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-27-2006, 05:04 PM
noprayer's Avatar
noprayer noprayer is offline
For The Dying
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
Posts: 8
Doctor Who. Dont get me started!

I have been collecting Doctor who most of my life (i was even a renegade timelord as a child in a local fan club) and while i was a little skeptical of an attempt at a new doctor who, I couldnt have been more pleased!! I was absolutely brilliant! I'm halfway through season 2 now and i am just as pleased with this season as i am with the first. Rose Tyler... MMMM.... .
__________________
He went right up side the head of my favorite baby seal
He went WHAP!
With a lead-filled snow shoe
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-27-2006, 05:59 PM
Negotiableterms's Avatar
Negotiableterms Negotiableterms is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lake Tahoe/Seattle
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by noprayer
Rose Tyler... MMMM.... .
IIRC, Billie Piper is the British version of Britney Spears, IRL.
__________________

New gear, old gear, black gear, gold gear, it's still rock n' roll to me.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-27-2006, 07:40 PM
noprayer's Avatar
noprayer noprayer is offline
For The Dying
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiableterms
IIRC, Billie Piper is the British version of Britney Spears, IRL.
Yup. She is quite the hottie pop star across the pond.
__________________
He went right up side the head of my favorite baby seal
He went WHAP!
With a lead-filled snow shoe
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.