Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-04-2006, 12:11 PM
denniswilson's Avatar
denniswilson denniswilson is offline
328 Chauncey Street
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Originally Bensonhurst Bklyn
Posts: 4
Charly

Just saw the movie recently on AMC. Also read the short story Flowers for Algernon in Jr. High. A heart wrenching Si-Fi story....Starring Cliff Robertson 1968..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-04-2006, 12:19 PM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
I remember reading "Flowers For Algernon" for summer reading prior to going to McCallie in summer '71...despite the fact I HATED summer reading...the NERVE of them gawdam people, anyway...that story has stayed w/me all these years. Maybe the McCallie people knew something I didn't, after all...
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-04-2006, 01:23 PM
CortR
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Sci-fi Classic. When I saw it when it first came out I mooned and pined for Claire Bloom for at least a couple years.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-04-2006, 08:50 PM
tcdriver's Avatar
tcdriver tcdriver is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Valley of Heart's Delight
Posts: 75
Charly: Original Soundtrack Recording

I never read the book or saw the movie, however, I do have the original soundtrack recording featuring music by Ravi Shankar. World Pacific WPS-21454. I will have to give it a spin. I have not played it in years.
__________________
Round and Round it goes
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-26-2006, 07:18 AM
Bogframe's Avatar
Bogframe Bogframe is offline
Holy Pioneer!
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 103
I've never seen the movie, but Flowers for Algernon is still a book that will bring a lump to my throat.
__________________

"A drummer, bass and two guitars
When you're playing Tasty, you'll go far
Tasty, ooh Tasty, ain't it time we mellow out?"


Tasty-The Good Rats
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 04-26-2006, 08:06 PM
tcdriver's Avatar
tcdriver tcdriver is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Valley of Heart's Delight
Posts: 75
Well, I dug out my Charly record, gave it a spin and understood why I had not played it in years. Not much substance in spite of the number of famous musicians.
__________________
Round and Round it goes
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-26-2006, 09:57 PM
OvenMaster's Avatar
OvenMaster OvenMaster is offline
DTV blows
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Red Sox Nation
Posts: 565
I remember reading a condensed version of the story in 8th grade. Now, I wonder what medical advances we have today that could possibly make this "science fiction" story a reality that we aren't being told... yet. Food for thought.
Tom
__________________
Tom
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-09-2006, 06:43 AM
Jim Eck's Avatar
Jim Eck Jim Eck is offline
Chicks dig the Mule
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Springpatch, IL Where the Buffalo and our ex-Governor won't roam
Posts: 58
Weren't the Lawnmower Man movies basically a take off of Charly? I remember reading Flowers for Algernon as a kid also, amazing the impact such a story can have on your life.

Not to hijack this thread but maybe start another thread, books you remember from child hood reading that impacted your life. Hmmmm.


Jim
__________________
You did what to your what? Man that is going to leave a mark.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.