Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-01-2006, 05:25 PM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
So I got the Emma Peel Megaset for Christmas.....

....and was happy to see how well they held up. Although the ones in color are enjoyable, it is the B&W ones that are magic for me. What I liked most about the show overall is how Steed & Peel used their heads first and thought their way out of trouble. When that did not work, they were game for any rough stuff including using whatever weapon happened to be handy.

Any other Avengers fans here?

__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-01-2006, 05:29 PM
Celt's Avatar
Celt Celt is offline
Peanut Head
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Paragould, Arkansas
Posts: 1,746
Yup...definately me. But the B&W ones only. I remember when they went colour and lost some of the magic. Don't know if it was the writing that suffered or what, but I remember not liking it as well. And don't even get me started on the girl that replaced Emma Peel!
__________________

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-01-2006, 05:33 PM
Fast_Eddie's Avatar
Fast_Eddie Fast_Eddie is offline
Upper-middle fi
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Denver Colorado
Posts: 96
What I like about the show is Emma Peel's wardrobe.
__________________
The jet pilots wailed
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-01-2006, 05:39 PM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
I liked Mrs. Peel's clothing, & I thought Steed was kewl as all get-out. I really loved the theme song by Laurie Johnson...& Steed's old Bentley...but I guess what I really liked was how the whole series had a slightly "cock-eyed" flavor-erm, "flavour" to it.-Sandy G.
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-01-2006, 05:41 PM
Andyman's Avatar
Andyman Andyman is offline
Scroungus Stereophilus
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: North of Detroit, East of Grumpy. West of Kegger
Posts: 261
Loved that show!
I picked up the 1965 B&W VHS tapes a few years back.
Sure, they're very dated, but still great stuff, especially from a 13 year olds POV

"The Prisoner" w/Patrick McGoohan also was pretty cool.
__________________
I think the world is run by "C" students - Al McGuire
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 02-01-2006, 05:58 PM
Negotiableterms's Avatar
Negotiableterms Negotiableterms is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lake Tahoe/Seattle
Posts: 28
Wow, do I remember Diana Rigg. There was some extraneous stuff going on in the background around her, too.
__________________

New gear, old gear, black gear, gold gear, it's still rock n' roll to me.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-01-2006, 06:14 PM
Fast_Eddie's Avatar
Fast_Eddie Fast_Eddie is offline
Upper-middle fi
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Denver Colorado
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyman

"The Prisoner" w/Patrick McGoohan also was pretty cool.
In my opinion, The Prisoner is in a wole different league. One of my favorite shows ever.
__________________
The jet pilots wailed
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-01-2006, 07:24 PM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G
I thought Steed was kewl as all get-out.
I wanted to be John Steed growing up. (Still do for that matter.)

__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-01-2006, 07:39 PM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyman
Loved that show!
"The Prisoner" w/Patrick McGoohan also was pretty cool.
Absolutely! (Can you say "mind fawk?) I plan to buy the episodes sometime down the road.

As an aside - McGoohan was also in an earlier spy series called "Secret Agent". I've read that "The Prisoner" is considered the sequel to it. Although I've never seen the individual episodes of "Secret Agent". When you read their outlines, the structure and ambiguity to the plotlines seems to verify that premise.

There is a movie edited out of "Secret Agent" called "Koroshi". It is probably worth seeing if you are a fan of "The Prisoner". You can easily see McGoohan as the agent that eventually ends up being smothered by a malevolent balloon. One funny thing about McGoohan, he plays the same smart, obnoxious prick over & over in his roles. Doesn't matter if it is the Scarecrow in the Disney film, Devereau in "Silver Streak", or Longshanks in "Braveheart", same guy! I've enjoyed his work over & over throughout the years. He is a fun prick to watch.
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.

Last edited by soundmotor; 02-01-2006 at 07:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-01-2006, 07:43 PM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiableterms
Wow, do I remember Diana Rigg. There was some extraneous stuff going on in the background around her, too.
Probably the most fun part of the show is the double-entendres whipping back & forth between her and Steed. My wife & I keep finding ourselves going back over a bit of dialogue and saying "Oh my!".

It also points out how talented the writing staff was on these shows to get edgy & risque humor past the decency brigades of the day. Kids could watch & adults got it. Now, say anything, show anything. No class at all.
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.

Last edited by soundmotor; 02-01-2006 at 07:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #11  
Old 02-01-2006, 07:47 PM
Andyman's Avatar
Andyman Andyman is offline
Scroungus Stereophilus
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: North of Detroit, East of Grumpy. West of Kegger
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmotor
As an aside - McGoohan was also in an earlier spy series called "Secret Agent".
Yep, that was 60's cool too. I think the Johnny Rivers "Secret Agent Man" was the theme song.
__________________
I think the world is run by "C" students - Al McGuire
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-01-2006, 07:52 PM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyman
Yep, that was 60's cool too. I think the Johnny Rivers "Secret Agent Man" was the theme song.
I did not know that. After reading the following fan synopsis however, this DVD set may precede "The Prisoner" -

Secret Agent
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-01-2006, 08:13 PM
koseltri's Avatar
koseltri koseltri is offline
Underfunded Tinkerer
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Salem, OR USA
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyman
Yep, that was 60's cool too. I think the Johnny Rivers "Secret Agent Man" was the theme song.
The theme song (or signature tune, as the Brits say) was only heard in the US, as the series was called "Danger Man" in the UK.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-01-2006, 08:53 PM
jcmjrt's Avatar
jcmjrt jcmjrt is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: S.F. Bay
Posts: 28
Diana Rigg kicked butt! Loved that as a kid and still do.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-01-2006, 09:55 PM
Aage's Avatar
Aage Aage is offline
Custom User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 149
"Mrs. Peel, I need you."

You don't know how many times I said that to myself, while simultaneously clicking my heels together.

Steed's car was cool, too. Anyone remember what it was? A Bentley?
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:02 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.