Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-22-2005, 05:20 PM
Donny's Avatar
Donny Donny is offline
Lets be bad guys.
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vidor TX
Posts: 121
any Lonesome Dove fans?

I used to love lonesome dove the outlaw years but I had only seen bits and pieces of the movies untill the week long rain hit! I borrowed my dads dvd and I loved the first movie! Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Deval (please forgive my spelling) made great cowboys. That 5-6hours just flew by. Then I watched Return to Lonesome Dove. Well it was good just not great (hurt some due to replacement actors) The next movie would be Streets of Lorado correct? My dad does not have this one on dvd I doubt I can find it in this area without ordering it... I am prob missing a few movies from the list,if so I hope they are like the 1st movie
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-22-2005, 07:19 PM
TWantiques's Avatar
TWantiques TWantiques is offline
Vinyl Addicted
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Atlanta, Ga.
Posts: 9
I am a big fan. One of the best westerns.

Just found it on VHS (2 tapes) at the thrift store about a month ago and snapped it up. Went home and sat down right then and watched it all. As you said time flew.

Terry
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-22-2005, 07:31 PM
Micropassatman's Avatar
Micropassatman Micropassatman is offline
Swollen Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 17
What did you guys think of Open Range?
__________________
"Yes, but it goes to eleven..."

"No matter where you go...there you are"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-22-2005, 08:49 PM
Donny's Avatar
Donny Donny is offline
Lets be bad guys.
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vidor TX
Posts: 121
I liked open range I should watch it again. I really liked how he handled the hired gun!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-22-2005, 09:44 PM
shrinkboy's Avatar
shrinkboy shrinkboy is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Oak Cliff, Texas, just across the Trinity River from Big D
Posts: 135
donny-- read the book. the movie is great, really, a great movie. almost as good as the movie that reels out in your head as you read this great american novel...it is about as vivid a piece of fiction as you will ever come across. and when done with that, read Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy, the greatest, darkest, most shiver in your boots, sublime piece of western fiction (actually, any fiction) you will ever come across
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 07-23-2005, 09:59 AM
craven
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
My favorite western ever awesome movie.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-23-2005, 10:52 AM
VintageNut's Avatar
VintageNut VintageNut is offline
Politically Incorrect
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 8
Great series.
Here's info from the web:

"Lonesome Dove originated as a screenplay called The Streets of Laredo, which was intended as a vehicle for John Wayne, Henry Fonda and James Stewart." That would have been something to see these sctors in it
__________________
Consciousness: That Irritating Time Between Naps
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-23-2005, 06:01 PM
Donny's Avatar
Donny Donny is offline
Lets be bad guys.
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vidor TX
Posts: 121
Was that like the movie Streets of Loaredo or like the first movie Lonesome Dove? I'm not sure but I think streets of laredo is the 3rd one(maybe even the 4th) I'm sure it would have been great! btw how old is the book?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-23-2005, 09:36 PM
shrinkboy's Avatar
shrinkboy shrinkboy is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Oak Cliff, Texas, just across the Trinity River from Big D
Posts: 135
i am gonna guess that lonesome dove was published around 83-84. i heard larry mcmurtry interviewed about it while i was in the car one day, and he read the first paragraph over the air. i drove straight to a bookstore and picked it up and didn't put it down for 3 or 4 days, until i was done. it is a long book, but an incredibly vivid, gripping read.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-23-2005, 10:23 PM
JDaniel's Avatar
JDaniel JDaniel is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkboy
donny-- read the book. the movie is great, really, a great movie. almost as good as the movie that reels out in your head as you read this great american novel...it is about as vivid a piece of fiction as you will ever come across. and when done with that, read Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy, the greatest, darkest, most shiver in your boots, sublime piece of western fiction (actually, any fiction) you will ever come across
Donny - I concur completely with shrinkboy. Read the books. I've never actually seen the movies, but the books are some of my favs. I have them if you want. I could mail them to you. Just return them when finished. I'm a big western fan - I've got over 500 western books here at the house. Especially Louis Lamour and Zane Grey.

JD
__________________
I got a couple dents in my fender, got a couple rips in my jeans
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #11  
Old 07-23-2005, 10:32 PM
VintageNut's Avatar
VintageNut VintageNut is offline
Politically Incorrect
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 8
here you go, Lonesome Dove history:

http://www.library.txstate.edu/swwc/...some_dove.html
__________________
Consciousness: That Irritating Time Between Naps
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:49 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.