Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-29-2012, 05:33 PM
DaveWM DaveWM is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 5,607
Wizard of Oz

I just love the lullaby league I cant believe how small the center ballerina was.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-29-2012, 10:06 PM
Dude111 Dude111 is offline
Analogue is Awesome
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,735
Yes and I love my VHS copy -- I havent ever been able to see this movie IN ANALOGUE (Where it looks and sounds the best) and I was glad my friend gave them to me!!! (She was throwing out a bunch of VHS tapes so I took 2 (Wizard of OZ and Home Alone -- 2 EXCELLENT MOVIES TO HAVE IN ANALOGUE SP MODE!!)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-30-2012, 07:40 AM
DaveWM DaveWM is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 5,607
I did some searching, seems there are a lot of vhs on ebay, but also says digital remastering etc... on some. whats the deal with that?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-30-2012, 07:27 PM
Dude111 Dude111 is offline
Analogue is Awesome
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,735
In my opinion any VHS tapes that say that ARE NO BETTER THAN WATCHING THEM ON DVD

I have Back to the future 1,2 and 3 on VHS and they say this... YOU CAN TELL BY LOOKING @ THE VIDEO IT WAS BEEN MESSED WITH....

I do have several tapes though THAT DO NOT SAY THIS (Sleepaway camp and Bullit being 2) and i like how they look MUCH BETTER! (More natural)

Lots of VHS (AND BETAMAX) available here: http://half.ebay.com
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-01-2012, 01:17 AM
Eric H's Avatar
Eric H Eric H is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: So. Calif
Posts: 11,565
If you must watch it in Analog at least do it on Laser Disc, VHS has the resolution of a Crayon drawing.

The Wizard has had a major restoration since the VHS release (using Digital Technology BTW) it's one of the best examples of Three Strip Technicolor in existence (or possibly Robin Hood).

Nothing can match the old Three Strip process for that "You are There" feeling, it almost like you are standing in the studio watching them film.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 12-02-2012, 02:46 AM
Dude111 Dude111 is offline
Analogue is Awesome
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H
The Wizard has had a major restoration since the VHS release (using Digital Technology BTW) it's one of the best examples of Three Strip Technicolor in existence (or possibly Robin Hood).
Yes i know and i am GLAD TO HAVE IT ON VHS!!!

I dont wanna make you mad Eric but i really dislike Digital,im my opinion IT DOESNT LOOK QUITE AS GOOD..... (Not as natural)

Im probably the BIGGEST Purist you know
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-02-2012, 03:43 AM
Eric H's Avatar
Eric H Eric H is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: So. Calif
Posts: 11,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes i know and i am GLAD TO HAVE IT ON VHS!!!

I dont wanna make you mad Eric but i really dislike Digital,im my opinion IT DOESNT LOOK QUITE AS GOOD..... (Not as natural)

Im probably the BIGGEST Purist you know

Dude, I'm not mad and I don't want to start an argument over this but VHS is about as far from Pure as it gets, it's a very poor format.

This was shot on Film in very high resolution and the full range of color and that's how it should be seen.

Whether it's analog or digital doesn't really matter but the amount of information reaching the screen does, VHS just doesn't deliver, not all digital transfers are done well either but I know the Wizard was, I have both the Bluray and the standard DVD and they are both amazing looking.

If you really want to stick with analog then Laser Disc might be for you.

It's analog also but the number of lines of resolution is much higher and the color is much more vivid.
If you are watching it on a good CRT Monitor using a Laser Disc for the source the picture can be flat amazing, of course at larger screen sizes it starts to lose it's clarity.

I have four or five LD players, I wish I could give you one!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-02-2012, 09:29 AM
DaveWM DaveWM is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 5,607
Eric, are the laser disk the big ones that look like LP's? I was checking some out on ebay.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-02-2012, 06:07 PM
Dude111 Dude111 is offline
Analogue is Awesome
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,735
I hear ya Eric
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-02-2012, 06:29 PM
Eric H's Avatar
Eric H Eric H is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: So. Calif
Posts: 11,565
Yes, they look like giant DVD's but they were an analog format (some of the later ones had digital sound)

You can sometimes find the discs and players at Goodwill and other Thrift Stores, I've accumulated a fair number of them this way, along with several players, they are often stuck in with the LP's since the jackets are the same size.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #11  
Old 12-02-2012, 06:33 PM
DaveWM DaveWM is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 5,607
are there good one bad ones or are the all the same maker with different badges on them like late model VHS machines.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-08-2012, 03:14 PM
earlyfilm's Avatar
earlyfilm earlyfilm is offline
Eternal Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Culpeper, VA
Posts: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWM View Post
are there good one bad ones or are the all the same maker with different badges on them like late model VHS machines.
Generally speaking, you can't go wrong with Pioneer liaser disc players.

They were best when new, and today are the easiest to get parts for.

The problem is finding someone with the tools and parts to service them.

And if you buy one on ePray, be sure the seller insures it, because it is almost guaranteed to be ruined in shipping.

Oh, don't buy one that is missing its remote, because that is needed to operate some functions.

Jas.

Last edited by earlyfilm; 12-08-2012 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Added remote warning
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.