![]() |
|
#1
|
||||
|
||||
|
Well I'll be Damned - 3 Stooges Trivia
I've been working on a 3 Stooges project today, transferring a bunch of VHS tapes to DVD. On the latest one, there were some trivia questions. I've been a life-long fan, but didn't realize they were brothers (Moe, Curly, & Shemp at least). Last name was Horowitz. I never knew they were brothers.
JD
__________________
I got a couple dents in my fender, got a couple rips in my jeans |
|
#2
|
||||
|
||||
|
Knew that.
__________________
I'm the one that's got to die, when it's time for me to die. |
|
#3
|
||||
|
||||
|
I thought their last name was Howard? or maybe was that a stage name?
|
|
#4
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
Born Horowitz. Howard was the stage name.
__________________
I got a couple dents in my fender, got a couple rips in my jeans |
|
#5
|
||||
|
||||
|
knew it.
seen them live at the toronto canadian national ex when i was 9 or 10. that would've been 1963 or 64. of course by then curly was dead and curly-joe took his place. there were no bigger celebrities then the stooges for a 10 year old back then. wasn't a big fan of curly-joe. nyuck, nyuck, nyuck!!!!
__________________
to fish or not to fish? what a stupid question. |
| Audiokarma |
|
#6
|
||||
|
||||
|
There was a movie about them a few years back. Showed how Columbia Pictures (and others) screwed them around.
|
|
#7
|
||||
|
||||
|
Moe-Moses Harry Horowitz (Gorovitz) d-1975
Curly-Jerome Lester Horowitz d-1952 Larry-Louis Larry Feinberg d-1974 Shemp- Samuel (Shmool) Horowitz d-1955 Joe Besser "Curly Joe" De Rita
__________________
Benevolent Despot |
|
#8
|
||||
|
||||
|
To me Curly was the greatest comedian there ever was. I've never laffed more at one single person.
__________________
I'm the one that's got to die, when it's time for me to die. |
|
#9
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
|
|
#10
|
||||
|
||||
|
Moe! Larry! Cheese!! whooop whooop whooop!!!
__________________
Technics SL1700/SL1400 Marantz CDR700/Entech205.3 Onkyo TA-RW 311 TEAC x2000r/Realistic TR3000 DBX CX-2/Phase Linear 400 Mk.II Acoustic Research AR3a |
| Audiokarma |
|
#11
|
||||
|
||||
|
Curley was only 48 or so when he died. He neglected his health, had high blood pressure, & several strokes. Shemp died of a stroke as well, in Nov 1955. I don't think they had the drugs to combat high-blood pressure back then that we have now, though. Moe died of lung cancer. Larry had several strokes, starting in '70, & another one got him in '74.
__________________
Benevolent Despot |
|
#12
|
||||
|
||||
|
Curly, I believe, was an alcoholic. There was a 3 Stooges club that would meet near here, Larry's sister was a part of it. I could watch those shorts again and again, but they don't run them here in Philadelphia any more. The Honeymooners rivaled these guys for hillarity. Sigh.
|
|
#13
|
|||
|
|||
|
Quote:
The original 3 were Shemp, Moe, and Larry. Before the Columbia shorts, they appeared on film together with Ted Healy. At that time, Moe was not the leader at all. Shemp left to pursue his career on his own, but he never got roles worthy of him.* When Shemp left, Curly replaced him. Moe, being the older brother to Curly, was naturally more like the leader, which is probably why he seemed to dominate the Stooges. When Shemp returned to replace Curly when Curly became too ill to continue, the pecking order was set, even though Shemp was the oldest of the three brothers. Rather than continue typing, here is a link for plenty of info about them, with a slightly different take on it all than I have presented above: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_stooges For anyone who has not already purchased Three Stooges films, I highly recommend the latest remastered versions, which look better than ever for home video. Here is a link to the first set in the series: http://www.amazon.com/Three-Stooges-...dp/B000SSQ7JW/ ________________ *Wikipedia has a very different take on this, but I can only say, that almost no one watches Shemp films that were made without the Stooges (excluding films with him in bit parts, which, of course, would not be normally called "Shemp films".) |
|
#14
|
||||
|
||||
|
One Word "Nuck"!
-Mike
__________________
Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid. Frank Zappa |
|
#15
|
||||
|
||||
|
This was the movie. It was well worth watching and brought tears to my eyes.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0214698/ One of my favs was the Lawyers office of "Dewey, Cheetum and Howe".
__________________
Sansui G6000,7070 Pioneer SX1250,SX1280 Kenwood KR-8010 Onkyo TX8500II Pioneer CTF950,Akai GX-S80 DCM TF-600,TF-400 CX-17+ KL Quartets |
| Audiokarma |
![]() |
|
|