Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-24-2008, 07:58 PM
forzaroma's Avatar
forzaroma forzaroma is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Silicon Valley CA
Posts: 3
I got my Roku Netflix today ...

Roku is a device meant to work with Netflix and your TV to stream movies from a Netflix queue to your TV (click on the Roku link for a better description from Netflix).

Installation was a breeze, but I used a cable, not a wireless connection (because the TV is right next to my cable router), however, I don't think that the wireless set-up would be a problem.

I went to Netflix and entered a code number given to me by the Roku box into a sign-up page, selected a couple of Watch Now movies, a minute or so later, I was watching my first video from the queue.

The quality depends on your connection speed. Nothing to write home about, but no worse that regular TV 10 years of so ago. Same with the sound - nothing special, but very workable.

I am watching "Tommy" as we speak (I am up to one of the good parts "The Acid Queen"), something I wanted to watch again for a while but never got to it.

The selection of movies is OK, but I see new movies coming in every week.

Here's how I would rate the Roku+Netflix combo:

Installation: 5/5 - I can't imagine it any easier
Ease of use: 5/5 - Again, could not be easier IMO
Video quality: 3/5 (with a 1.5MBs connection)
Audio quality: 3/5
Material selection: 2.5/5 (but I am hopeful to see a lot more)
Price: 5/5 (<$120 including shipping and no fees besides the Netflix I am already paying)

Bottom line: 4/5 - with the potential of being a real killer with better video quality and selection.

I am glad I got it, let's see how much use it gets in the next couple of months.

Alberto
__________________
McIntosh:MCD201,MDA1000,C220,MC501(x2)
Thorens TD125ii, SME 3009ii, Clearaudio Maestro
Sonus Faber Guarneri Homage,AKG K1000
Sonos, Squeezebox, Wadia i170
Cardas, Tributaries, RGPC 400Pro

Last edited by hpsenicka; 05-24-2008 at 08:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-24-2008, 08:02 PM
hpsenicka's Avatar
hpsenicka hpsenicka is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: west of Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 8
I was hoping someone would get one of these new Roku Netflix Players and post a review.

Apparently these are in such demand that Roku is having trouble keeping up with the orders.

Unfortunately they only work if you are within the continental US.

There is also info on the manufacturers web site.. http://www.roku.com/netflixplayer/
__________________

Disclaimer: This post is published under the following licences: AFAIK, IMHO, IANAL. If you find orthographic and/or grammatical mistakes you can keep them.

Last edited by hpsenicka; 05-24-2008 at 08:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-25-2008, 07:52 AM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
So basically as a Netflix member you can buy this and watch any of the 10K titles it runs for free?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-25-2008, 08:11 AM
forzaroma's Avatar
forzaroma forzaroma is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Silicon Valley CA
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmotor View Post
So basically as a Netflix member you can buy this and watch any of the 10K titles it runs for free?
That's the idea. Some people think it's too good to be true, so we'll see how long this "free forever" part lasts. BTW, it's not exactly free, you need at least a $8-10 Netflix monthly subscription (which allows 1-DVD at a time I believe).

BTW, you can watch any of the 10K movies for free already, but you needed a PC + IE up to now (Mac was not supported).

Alberto
__________________
McIntosh:MCD201,MDA1000,C220,MC501(x2)
Thorens TD125ii, SME 3009ii, Clearaudio Maestro
Sonus Faber Guarneri Homage,AKG K1000
Sonos, Squeezebox, Wadia i170
Cardas, Tributaries, RGPC 400Pro
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.