![]() |
|
#1
|
|||
|
|||
|
The Flight of The Phoenix(1965)
Finally grabbed a DVD copy of this.Saw it as a kid when it first came out.Holds up well after all these years.Did anyone see the remake with Dennis Quaid?Mostly,remakes seem to be a waste of time-to me anyway.
I'll say this much,seeing the tv ad for the new version spurred me on to finding the original. |
|
#2
|
||||
|
||||
|
I own both......I like the original better.
__________________
Denon, Mackie, Lenco, JBL, Onkyo, Crown, Tascam, Teac, Otari, Ampex, Pro-Ject, Kenwood, Technics, Sound Engineering Labs, Apple, PreSonus, Panasonic, Shure, Realistic and JVC spoken here |
|
#3
|
||||
|
||||
|
The original is a classic. Never seen the remake and don't care to.
__________________
Main system: Pioneer SX 950 & Realistic STA 2100 Aiwa AD F770 and AD F660, Sony PS-T25 turntable, Pioneer CLD-5201 Laserdisk as a CD player, Denon DCM 360, Realistic 10- band EQ, Akai GX 4000D, Velodyne SA-101, Minimus 7, Baby Advents, Pioneer CS-88A speakers. |
|
#4
|
|||
|
|||
|
I remember the original too. I can remember how my Dad would get excited when this movie would come on, so we would watch it together.
|
|
#5
|
|||
|
|||
|
Original for sure. It actually has actors that act. Storyline is much more believeable.
|
| Audiokarma |
|
#6
|
||||
|
||||
|
what a goofy movie... there was a remake?!?
(EDIT: I remember it fondly... but...)
__________________
all the best, mrh |
|
#7
|
||||
|
||||
|
The remake was good as far as todays movies go, better than most, in fact, but NO comparison to the original.
__________________
Denon, Mackie, Lenco, JBL, Onkyo, Crown, Tascam, Teac, Otari, Ampex, Pro-Ject, Kenwood, Technics, Sound Engineering Labs, Apple, PreSonus, Panasonic, Shure, Realistic and JVC spoken here |
|
#8
|
|||
|
|||
|
Did anyone notice......
...in the original,it's not the Phoenix flying over that drilling rig near the end.Looks to be a disguised WW ll or later prop engine fighter modded to look like a thrown together plane.Doesn't hurt the movie one bit though,'cause it's so great a film.
|
|
#9
|
||||
|
||||
|
Original all the way.
|
|
#10
|
||||
|
||||
|
The original (one-of-a-kind) plane was crashed and killed the famous stunt pilot, Paul Mantz.
After the crash, another plane was rented to finish the flying sequences. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n82nN_lqn58 http://www.check-six.com/Crash_Sites/Mantz-P1.htm |
| Audiokarma |
|
#11
|
||||
|
||||
|
Great Movie. The original is best. It is filled with many recognizable actors.
|
|
#12
|
||||
|
||||
|
I love the original; I am not interested in seeing the remake.
Precisely the 'nuts and bolts' quality of the full-sized props and the good actors is what makes it such fun. And for sheer suspense, has there ever been a more nail-biting moment than when they have one last shot at getting the engine to run? Hardy Kruger as the 'airplane designer' (lol) was also excellent in 'The One that Got Away'. C.
__________________
If it's too loud, you still have your hearing. |
|
#13
|
||||
|
||||
|
In the 70's, the original was on TV all the time.
I've seen it at least 30 times. I like this movie. |
|
#14
|
||||
|
||||
|
The original was best.
__________________
Retired USN. "Good ........ bad ........ I'm the guy with the gun." Ash, Army of Darkness |
|
#15
|
||||
|
||||
|
I hated the remake. The original is a great movie. The fact that James Stewart actually served in the Air Force as a pilot in real life gave the movie a big dose of credibility in his performance as well.
....Yeah, I realize that Dennis Quaid is a pilot as well....but Dennis Quaid is NO Jimmy Stewart ![]() Russ |
| Audiokarma |
![]() |
|
|