Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-21-2007, 02:30 AM
jeffn's Avatar
jeffn jeffn is offline
Mid-Fi Crisis
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 23
Your thoughts on Woody Allen

I now he's fallen from favour a little........but his movies have always been my favorites. Why spend millions on special effects when great dialogue can substitute. Always funny, accurate, and cliche free viewing.
__________________
32°56'49.15"S
151°39'43.78"E
In the middle of my Street
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-21-2007, 03:35 AM
2DualsNotEnough's Avatar
2DualsNotEnough 2DualsNotEnough is offline
The Goodbye Look
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Phoenix,AZ
Posts: 308
With the exception of perhaps Spike Lee,Woody Allen is the only American director I can think of who consistently and prolifically creates personal films,some of very high quality,and some just curiosities.The reason he can keep doing this,despite his films usually doing poorly at the box office,is that he makes them fairly cheaply,and they are considered prestige products by his studio,oftentimes garnering Oscar nominations,etc.
I think Ive seen close to everyone of his films,and often my favorite ones are the same ones the critics have ignored.Anything Else is a good example.A lot of his more serious films mine the same territory(fate being without conscience,and often without consequences for those that do terrible things).But Anything Else takes a different approach,and uses two very fine young actors to good effect.
I think one of the biggest downturns in his film output began when Diane Keaton was replaced as leading lady in favor of Mia Farrow.

My favorites include:
Love And Death(1975)
Sleeper(1973)
Annie Hall(1977)
Manhattan(1979)
Stardust Memories(1980)
Purple Rose Of Cairo(1985)
Hannah And Her Sisters(1986)
Crimes and Misdemeanors(1989)
Husbands and Wives(1993)
Bullets Over Broadway(1995)
Mighty Aphrodite(1996)
Anything Else(2004?)
Sorry,I love talking about Woody Allen!
Jimmy
__________________
Current System:Cambridge Audio 640 Azur v2/NAD pp-2/,Oppo DV-970HD dvd/cd/,Luxman T-12 Tuner,Technics SL-1200 Mk5/Grado Red,ADS L810.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-21-2007, 03:42 AM
jeffn's Avatar
jeffn jeffn is offline
Mid-Fi Crisis
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DualsNotEnough View Post
With the exception of perhaps Spike Lee,Woody Allen is the only American director I can think of who consistently and prolifically creates personal films,some of very high quality,and some just curiosities.The reason he can keep doing this,despite his films usually doing poorly at the box office,is that he makes them fairly cheaply,and they are considered prestige products by his studio,oftentimes garnering Oscar nominations,etc.
I think Ive seen close to everyone of his films,and often my favorite ones are the same ones the critics have ignored.Anything Else is a good example.A lot of his more serious films mine the same territory(fate being without conscience,and often without consequences for those that do terrible things).But Anything Else takes a different approach,and uses two very fine young actors to good effect.
I think one of the biggest downturns in his film output began when Diane Keaton was replaced as leading lady in favor of Mia Farrow.

My favorites include:
Love And Death(1975)
Sleeper(1973)
Annie Hall(1977)
Manhattan(1979)
Stardust Memories(1980)
Purple Rose Of Cairo(1985)
Hannah And Her Sisters(1986)
Crimes and Misdemeanors(1989)
Husbands and Wives(1993)
Bullets Over Broadway(1995)
Mighty Aphrodite(1996)
Anything Else(2004?)
Sorry,I love talking about Woody Allen!
Jimmy
I also liked Deconstructing Harry. Kirstie Ally acted so well in that. I named my Daughter Hannah after H+her sisters. What about a Midsomers' Night Sex Comedy. I also loved that. (as well as those you've mentioned).

Merry Christmas 2Duals!
__________________
32°56'49.15"S
151°39'43.78"E
In the middle of my Street
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-21-2007, 03:53 AM
2DualsNotEnough's Avatar
2DualsNotEnough 2DualsNotEnough is offline
The Goodbye Look
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Phoenix,AZ
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffn View Post
I also liked Deconstructing Harry. Kirstie Ally acted so well in that. I named my Daughter Hannah after H+her sisters. What about a Midsomers' Night Sex Comedy. I also loved that. (as well as those you've mentioned).

Merry Christmas 2Duals!
Midsummers Night Sex Comedy is one of the most beautifully shot films Ive ever seen.Almost every shot looks like a 19th century painting.
Merry Christmas to you,too!

Jimmy
__________________
Current System:Cambridge Audio 640 Azur v2/NAD pp-2/,Oppo DV-970HD dvd/cd/,Luxman T-12 Tuner,Technics SL-1200 Mk5/Grado Red,ADS L810.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-21-2007, 04:49 AM
Yamaha B-2 Yamaha B-2 is offline
registered user
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ Shore
Posts: 53
Sleeper. Great movie. Is it coming true?
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 12-21-2007, 05:52 AM
WhiteSE's Avatar
WhiteSE WhiteSE is offline
Lambda Acoustics!!!
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Pocomoke, MD
Posts: 174
Play It Again Sam and Take The Money and Run are two of my all time fav movies....oh, and All You Wanted to Know About Sex...
__________________
" All I know, Is That I Know Nothing".....

Mono: Fisher 500 mono rec. w/EVRegency III, Stereo: Technics SP-10 TT, McIntosh MR-55, Pilot SA-232, JBL L-96, Pilot SA-210 pre.
In reserve: EV12trxb, EV15trx
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-21-2007, 07:11 AM
dr*audio's Avatar
dr*audio dr*audio is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 93
I missed the last film. The last one I saw was "Match Point" which was a pretty good film, but disturbing.
"The Curse Of The Jade Scorpion" was hysterical. "Annie Hall" was my favorite.
__________________
Warren

"No choice for sugar, but what choice could there be,
But to drown in coffee, or drown in tea?"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-21-2007, 07:32 AM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
"Sleeper"-Hilarious. Loved the Volkswagen, the Huge Giant Tit, all the neurotic Noo Yawkish asides....
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-21-2007, 09:46 AM
jcmjrt's Avatar
jcmjrt jcmjrt is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: S.F. Bay
Posts: 28
His early movies were funny - through Annie Hall. Of his later movies...I watched them until I found out he was a pedophile hunting at home. At this point I wouldn't care if he turned out the best movie in history, I wouldn't pay a dime to see it.

http://judicial-inc.biz/woody_allen_with_mia_farrow.htm
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-21-2007, 10:05 AM
Wigwam Jones Wigwam Jones is offline
Nescio Quid Dicas
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: South of No North
Posts: 52
I really didn't know too much about Woody Allen growing up - missed most of his movies. But some friends dragged me to see "Hannah and her Sisters," and I cannot remember a more boring experience at a movie theater.

Later, when I saw some of his earlier works, they definitely had some funny bits in them. But I am not from NYC, and I fail to follow the "NYC is the center of all things" kind of humor that only people living in the Five Burroughs seem to get. Nothing against NYC, but since I'm not from there, I don't see it as the center of the universe, and the fact that everyone who lives in Manhattan is in therapy doesn't strike as funny, only sad and pathetic.

I don't watch his movies. Nothing personal, they just don't interest me.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #11  
Old 12-21-2007, 10:10 AM
wineslob's Avatar
wineslob wineslob is offline
Wiping out white van
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: The West Coast
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigwam Jones View Post
I really didn't know too much about Woody Allen growing up - missed most of his movies. But some friends dragged me to see "Hannah and her Sisters," and I cannot remember a more boring experience at a movie theater.

Later, when I saw some of his earlier works, they definitely had some funny bits in them. But I am not from NYC, and I fail to follow the "NYC is the center of all things" kind of humor that only people living in the Five Burroughs seem to get. Nothing against NYC, but since I'm not from there, I don't see it as the center of the universe, and the fact that everyone who lives in Manhattan is in therapy doesn't strike as funny, only sad and pathetic.

I don't watch his movies. Nothing personal, they just don't interest me.
Same here. "Everything about Sex" was funny, but other than that........
__________________
"Quiet, or I'll blow your throat up!"

Luxman CO2
Bedini 150/150 MK II
Marantz SA 8260
Apogee Duetta II's
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-21-2007, 10:18 AM
ta131js's Avatar
ta131js ta131js is offline
<< my best dog pound find
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Southern Cal
Posts: 6
Funny guy.
I would not hesitate to let him walk my dog or borrow my Kenwood - but not date my daughter.
__________________
ADS L810, L400, AR90,91,AR-XB,
Domus Mirage
Dynaco A-25,PAT4,FM5,ST-120,
Kenwood Eleven G,KD-770D
Sony PS-X6,STR-7065,STR-7800D
TC-880-2,Akai GX-635D etc.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-21-2007, 10:23 AM
Tom Brennan's Avatar
Tom Brennan Tom Brennan is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 108
I liked "What's Up Tiger Lily", I used to drag people down to the old Clark Theater in the Loop when it would show there once in awhile.

But the guy's a creep, he won't get a nickel of mine now. Same with Polanski who has a penchant for anal sex with young girls; he doesn't get my money either.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-21-2007, 12:25 PM
OvenMaster's Avatar
OvenMaster OvenMaster is offline
DTV blows
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Red Sox Nation
Posts: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffn
Your thoughts on Woody Allen
Except for "Radio Days", grossly overrated.
Tom
__________________
Tom
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-21-2007, 01:20 PM
pmsummer's Avatar
pmsummer pmsummer is offline
simul justus et peccator
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rheinhardt Station, Peters Colony, Republic of Texas
Posts: 122
Quote:
Your thoughts on Woody Allen
Good.

Then bad.

And then good again.
__________________
P.M. Summer



McIntosh MA6100, Klipsch Klipschorns, Denon DP-1800 w/AT-15SS, Sony XDR-F1HD, Yamaha CDC+Entech dac
McIntosh MAC4100, Fons Mk1 w/Shure M97xE, AR3a, Frazier Mk V, Yamaha NS1000M, TEAC A-2300SR
H.H. Scott 299D, Frazier La Fiesta, Tivoli Model CD, ELAC 40A
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:34 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.