Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-04-2007, 10:16 PM
ozmoid's Avatar
ozmoid ozmoid is offline
Resident Frog
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 111
Anybody Else watch Tin Man?

Sci-Fi channel version of the Wizard of OZ; A Steampunk-meets-faeries sense of style, with lots of nods to the MGM film, written by guys who watched too much Star Trek. What's not to like?

One of the "Evil Witch's" listening devices was even tubed!

Very enjoyable, I particularly liked Alan Cumming's "Glitch", very well done all around.
__________________

Nothing outside you can ever give you what you're looking for. I'm gone fishing... see you at the pond.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-04-2007, 11:39 PM
jpdylon's Avatar
jpdylon jpdylon is offline
<-- sucker for old sets.
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Knox County, Tennessee
Posts: 1,675
I saw the ads for it, but I spaced out and missed it

I'm sure there will be an encore. Sounds like a great spin off.
__________________
Jordan
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-05-2007, 02:10 AM
CUlater's Avatar
CUlater CUlater is offline
Member #287
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Ripkenland, MD
Posts: 27
Encore - Sunday (IIRC) all 3 episodes, starting at 5pm (EST).

Interesting watch. Not sure if it matches up to the original classic, tho...seemed kinda stuck together in some parts.

Zooey was a good choice for DG, but man, has she got some quirky mannerisms.
__________________
Cheers,

PBG

There is tic and toc in atomic
...
The cosmic is largely comic

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-05-2007, 02:41 AM
speedy22's Avatar
speedy22 speedy22 is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: LeClaire, IA
Posts: 4
Yeah, we noticed Zooey's mannerisms too, but hey, she's still cute. Thought the whole thing was pretty cool, not sure some of it was for little kids right before bed, but my kids grew up watching scary movies with me and loved it. Now they read Dean Koontz and Stephen King as their favorite authors. I didn't see this as a newer version of the old WIZ though, more of a sequel that added more to the story. We give it a thumbs up!!!
__________________
Pioneer SA-9500 / TX9500
Technics SL-D3/Stanton 681EEE
LENCO L75/GRADO 78C
Sony C77 ES / TC WA8ESA ES
Sony TC-366 Reel to Reel
Theil CS.5
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-05-2007, 07:41 AM
ozmoid's Avatar
ozmoid ozmoid is offline
Resident Frog
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy22 View Post
I didn't see this as a newer version of the old WIZ though, more of a sequel that added more to the story. We give it a thumbs up!!!
Definitely not the old Wizard. Good entertainment though. I agree with the "not for young kids" sentiment, too. Some bits are a little strong IMO for the very young.
__________________

Nothing outside you can ever give you what you're looking for. I'm gone fishing... see you at the pond.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 12-05-2007, 07:48 AM
tentoze's Avatar
tentoze tentoze is offline
Twangophile
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 125
Only saw a couple commercials for it. That guy in the role of Tin Man is seriously creepy looking. Looks like one of the original Village Of The Damned kids all grown up.
__________________
"If evil exists, it's a pair of train tracks,
And the Devil is a railroad car."

-Josh Ritter-
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-05-2007, 09:54 AM
Mark W.'s Avatar
Mark W. Mark W. is offline
Instantly addicted
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Silverton, Oregon
Posts: 63
I have only seen about 3/4 of the first episode since the wife can't stay up late enough to watch we have been TIVO ing it to watch this weekend. It is most certainly a sequel of sorts. From what I've seen so far I liked it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-05-2007, 10:23 AM
botrytis's Avatar
botrytis botrytis is offline
Space holder
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Burlington, MA
Posts: 71
It was good and the story flowed pretty well. I won't give away anything but this story was set way after the original Wizard of Oz.

Definitely one of the better mini-series lately.

Dave
__________________
"Resentment is like taking poison yourself and waiting for the other guy to die."

-Carrie Fisher
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Bigyank's Avatar
Bigyank Bigyank is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: West of Philadelphia
Posts: 4
Don't want to give anything away either but I was definitely not satisfied with the ending last night!

yank
__________________
Way too many toys!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Holst's Avatar
Holst Holst is offline
<Mahler and Me
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: S Crow Wing Co. Minnesota
Posts: 217
I just asked on of my SciFi fanatic co-workers about it and he told me it's a must watch. I suppose I'll DVR it this weekend. I had an old hardcover Wizard of Oz sequel book as a kid. Probably turn of the century, no doubt thrown out years ago. The illistrations looked a lot like the pictures I just found online from the movie.
__________________
Main: McIntosh MC2125, McIntosh C27, Ohm Acoustics Walsh 300's, AMC CD8b, Luxman K-373, Marantz 2110, Phillips N4504 w/dbx 222/200/NX40, SOTA Moonbeam w/Shure V15II/JICO-SAS
Upstairs Mancave: Yaoin VK2100, Ohm Walsh F's, Luxman D-373, Sony ST-3950SD
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #11  
Old 12-05-2007, 01:33 PM
bowtie427ss bowtie427ss is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 3
It was some of the first TV i've watched in months, friend told me about it, very entertaining and captivating. I'm anxious for more, so it'll probably be dropped/cancelled.
__________________
The re-issues are $5800.00 each!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-05-2007, 05:51 PM
Searching's Avatar
Searching Searching is offline
...for a peaceful mind...
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Eastern PA, US
Posts: 2
I liked it. At least it was better than most things on TV these days. Ending was predictable and kind've weak. By the end, the timing seemed to be "off". People were traveling miles, and miles with no apparent passing of time. No magic involved, they were just where they needed to be quickly.
__________________
...sometimes I find it in the music.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-05-2007, 09:19 PM
ozmoid's Avatar
ozmoid ozmoid is offline
Resident Frog
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigyank View Post
Don't want to give anything away either but I was definitely not satisfied with the ending last night!

yank
The ending was OK (kind of low-key compared to the build-up), but Zooey's performance was weak - the quirky stuff that worked for her through the bulk of the film did not hold up at the end, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holst View Post
The illistrations looked a lot like the pictures I just found online from the movie.
There is a lot of visual reference to the books and the MGM film throughout. Rich with eye candy, made it even more enjoyable for me.
__________________

Nothing outside you can ever give you what you're looking for. I'm gone fishing... see you at the pond.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-05-2007, 10:48 PM
gadget73's Avatar
gadget73 gadget73 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 134
I caught the first part on tv Monday, and downloaded the other two parts. Just got done watching it. Not a bad flick, and certainly worlds better than the rest of the Wed evening programming (or complete lack thereof).
__________________
Random bits of stuff in the collection:
Yamaha YP-D4 turntable with B&O MMC 10E cart
Allied 495 receiver
2 Magnavox amps, AMP150 and an AMP178, currently under the knife.
Onkyo TX-4500
Onkyo Radian III speakers
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-05-2007, 10:52 PM
bre's dad's Avatar
bre's dad bre's dad is offline
I drank what?!?
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: indiana
Posts: 44
Much better than alot of the crap that is on sci-fi channel. I guess having a larger budget means better (or real) writers. Definitly a good departure from big snake and alien vs. alien movies Ah crap... I just saw a preview for 'Showdown at Area 51'... looks like crap.
__________________
Main: McIntosh C28, MC2105, MR74, ML Aerius, Pioneer Elite PD65, Rega P1
Upstairs: SX-5580, DCM TW3, Kyocera PL-701
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.