Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-28-2007, 08:31 AM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
Nold....

..Night Of The Living Dead, 1968. I watched most of it last nite in the spirit of the season, & yeah, its a hokey premise, $1.98 props, make-up, & EFX, no-name actors & all, but why do I always end up shakin' after its over ? I've always found it to be a profoundly disturbing movie, yet I always go back..."They're Coming To Get You, Sandy..." What sayest all y'all ?
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-28-2007, 08:34 AM
bolly bolly is offline
_______
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: CFB Borden
Posts: 55
I just watched the remake of Dawn of the Dead last night Sandy, great flick!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-28-2007, 12:02 PM
Cosmic's Avatar
Cosmic Cosmic is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 82
I think NOLD has the impact it has precisely for that reason: it is cheaply, not terribly "well-made" and that, combined with the subject matter, gets under your skin in ways a more slick production won't.

I think of it as the "Texas Chainsaw Massacre Syndrome": the shortcomings of the filmmaking help the film get through your defenses because it somehow feels more 'documentary-like' in a way.

There is an old saying: the medium is the message.

It is indeed. You are as powerfully affected by the way something is presented to you as you are by the content itself.

Best,
C.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-28-2007, 12:27 PM
fotno's Avatar
fotno fotno is offline
Canis Major
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Buzzardtown, NC
Posts: 118
Watched Texas Chainsaw Massacre (for the umpteenth time) a couple nights ago, and I'd have to agree with you Cosmic.

If you dissect TCM piece by piece (no pun intended) it's not that great. Shot on 16mm, with local actors & non-actors, a skimpy plot and special effects that were (let's face it) not that special.

For all its faults; it still works. It's one of the few horror films that actually scare me. It's practically bloodless, but in spite of that, almost every one remembers it as being very gory. Who knows? But I bet Hollywood would love to bottle it!
__________________
Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-28-2007, 08:16 PM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
At least there's a kewl old Motorola TV in NOLD..An' the '65 Lincoln the Big Shots ride in is nice, too.
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 11-01-2007, 10:11 AM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
Like "Christmas Story" at Christmas, Night has been a Halloween standard at my home for many years except last night.

Changed it up for Phantasm.

__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-01-2007, 10:21 AM
rickr15's Avatar
rickr15 rickr15 is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mesa AZ.
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolly View Post
I just watched the remake of Dawn of the Dead last night Sandy, great flick!
Haven't seen that one but the original was a staple at the midnight movies when I was in HS. Gotta love cheesy horror flicks.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-01-2007, 11:11 AM
Holst's Avatar
Holst Holst is offline
<Mahler and Me
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: S Crow Wing Co. Minnesota
Posts: 217
I think the flip of this is, just cuz Hollywood spent a bundle making a flick, doesn't mean it will be any good.
__________________
Main: McIntosh MC2125, McIntosh C27, Ohm Acoustics Walsh 300's, AMC CD8b, Luxman K-373, Marantz 2110, Phillips N4504 w/dbx 222/200/NX40, SOTA Moonbeam w/Shure V15II/JICO-SAS
Upstairs Mancave: Yaoin VK2100, Ohm Walsh F's, Luxman D-373, Sony ST-3950SD
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-01-2007, 11:57 AM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
Yeah...Romero & Russo would have LOVED to have had a tenth of the money that was wasted on "Waterworld"...Or "3 Amigos"...Or "Showgirls".."Showgirls"-That one always tickled me...Yeah, I always wanted to see if Elizabeth Berkeley was as HOT as I figured she must have been...And she was, but I found myself thinking, "Jessie ! Put yer clothes back on, girl !" That flick sure kicked her career into the terlet, didn't it ?
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-01-2007, 12:16 PM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
......ahem.....likes Waterworld & Postman too......
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #11  
Old 11-06-2007, 12:36 AM
donoghue donoghue is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Home of the "Little" 500
Posts: 75
I need to see the original NOLD sometime. Dawn of the Dead is a fun movie because of the mall setting. The new one from Mr Romero with John Leguizamo was pretty lame. TCM is crazy. The energy from the actors, the direction. It's just intense. Speaking of Christmas and horror movies, Black Christmas is another low-budget classic.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.