![]() |
|
#1
|
||||
|
||||
|
3 Good Ones
My son has increasingly become interested in period films and asked me for some suggestions. We watched the following 3, all favorites of mine -
Lawrence of Arabia Day of the Jackal The Man Who Would Be King We both thoroughly enjoyed them all and I was struck yet again by how filmakers from the past without dramatic special FX had to concentrate on the story, plot, writing, and the acting to support them. Let's see some of your recommendations.
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time. |
|
#2
|
||||
|
||||
|
Vanishing Point
Thunder Road Charley Varrick Maybe not classics but definitely cult favorites.
__________________
Main System: Pioneer SA-9100, Pioneer TX-9100, Pioneer Elite PD-59, Pioneer Elite CLD-79, Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai, JBL Decade L36's |
|
#3
|
||||
|
||||
|
Zulu, with a very young Michael Caine. Historically incorrect, but very well done and fascinating.
![]() The Blue Max with George Peppard. Master and Commander is a fairly well done recent movie. Lots of good period scenes in that. And my all-time favorite ... In Harm's Way with John Wayne. Classic old scenes of navy life ashore and how life was in those years of WWII..
__________________
Retired USN. "Good ........ bad ........ I'm the guy with the gun." Ash, Army of Darkness |
|
#4
|
||||
|
||||
|
The Great Escape; Knife in the Water: both for outstanding photography. 'Escape' is a good story, too. 'Knife' may be a little artsy-fartsy but you could frame about half the black and white scenes in it.
Fraulein Doktor: pretty obscure but gripping, with a plot that's 'grand opera' without the music. Chilling WW1 gas attack scene. Good supporting performance by Capucine, the only French actress of her era with an expression beyond 'on' and 'off' (OK, besides Simone Signouret). Mind you, I saw all these 40+ years ago so YMMV; mine might, too, if I saw them again today.
__________________
Being cheap isn't a character defect -- it's an art form. |
|
#5
|
||||
|
||||
|
The Day of the Jackal is unquestionably one of my favorite films of all time. A great movie. A rare case of the movie matching the quality of the book.
|
| Audiokarma |
|
#6
|
||||
|
||||
|
"Patton", 1970, & "Tora, Tora, Tora !" from the same year.
__________________
Benevolent Despot |
|
#7
|
||||
|
||||
|
Breaker Morant, one of my favs. Gallipoli is also good.
I think I am going to the video store and doing a movie weekend. Our local shop has around 15,000 movies with just about anything you could want. The average Blockbuster shop has around 4,000 or so with mostly mutiple copies of new releases. If you can find a mom and pop place run by movie fans, you are very lucky indeed.
__________________
_______________________________ All there is to life is beer and music.... Well, family too, but they are where the beer and music is. Work? That's just to get me to the weekend.... where the beer, music and family are. Like I said, those are the important things. |
|
#8
|
||||
|
||||
|
Operation Pacific
The Thomas Crown Affair (1968 version) Breakfast at Tiffany's
__________________
Denon, Mackie, Lenco, JBL, Onkyo, Crown, Tascam, Teac, Otari, Ampex, Pro-Ject, Kenwood, Technics, Sound Engineering Labs, Apple, PreSonus, Panasonic, Shure, Realistic and JVC spoken here |
|
#9
|
||||
|
||||
|
Guns of Navarone
My Favorite Year I Wanna Hold Your Hand (A 1978 Robert Zemeckis film, Steven Spielberg's first outing as executive producer. This would be Zemeckis' third feature film, and his third film with a writing credit - He had also written for Kolchak: The Night Stalker TV series by this time.)
__________________
Nothing outside you can ever give you what you're looking for. I'm gone fishing... see you at the pond. |
|
#10
|
|||
|
|||
|
Kurosawa, anything with guys carrying swords, also Dersu Uzala, a fairly obscure film of his. You have to be willing to put up with subtitles of course.
The Mission is a heck of a period movie A Man for all Seasons Another David Lean film is Great Expectations from the forties I think. Much more watchable than you might expect. |
| Audiokarma |
![]() |
|
|