Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-29-2007, 12:16 PM
andy andy is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 4,004
Movie theater experience

...

Last edited by andy; 12-05-2021 at 08:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-29-2007, 12:29 PM
DENNYDOG's Avatar
DENNYDOG DENNYDOG is offline
PIONEER Lover :)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Central,MN
Posts: 65
Wow, that sounds like an old movie theater we used to go to when we were kids that smelled like someones stuffy old basement.

Most of the larger towns around here have been either putting up new theaters or rejuvinating their old ones with full dts surround and stadium seating. Some of these are REALLY nice. More space between seats to spread your legs out and reclining chairs with cupholders. With the stadium style seating you never have to worry about some tall guy sitting in front of you and blocking your view.

I would think there would be some nice theaters out there in CA.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-29-2007, 12:56 PM
dr.ido's Avatar
dr.ido dr.ido is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SE Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 550
I gave up on the cinema experience a long time ago. The last movie I saw in the a cinema was Spirited Away. I had downloaded it out of curiosity and was impressed enough that I wanted to see it in good quality. I went to an 11pm showing at an independent cinema that was showing the original (non-disney) version. As it was an independent cinema there weren't that many ads, but that was the only good part. The sound was distorted, the picture quality was so bad they could have been projecting the same rip I downloaded and the movie was constantly interupted by a large group of kids talking because the couldn't or wouldn't read the subtitles.

I haven't been back to a cinema since. I'd much rather watch movies at home. No ads, no interuptions, no food/drink police. The screen is smaller, but being able to stretch out (I'm a big guy and I need leg room) right in the sweet spot while eating/drinking/smoking as I choose more than makes up for it.

If they'd release the DVDs quicker I'd probably watch more movies. As it is I often seen promos for a movie then forget about it only later to see it shown on TV and remembering I wanted to see that ages ago.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-29-2007, 03:30 PM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
The last several flicks I've been to see have been disasters. Whether it's the dumbass 7'10" redneck who HAS to sit directly in front of me, & WON'T remove his cap, the 5-6 infants who are MANDATED by state law seemingly to be in every theater I attend, & who caterwaul the entire picture, or the endless stream of weenybopper kids who whisper & go in an endless stream back & forth the entire picture...We won't even go into the Oh-dear-God-what's-that-on-the-floor, the broken, dirty seats, the hour of commercials-I'm old enuff to remember when you saw maybe 2 or 3 at most "coming attractions", or the usurous rates Carmike or whomever charges nowadays for us to "enjoy" our entertainment. And the DBX, DTS, XYZ or all that hi-falutin sound system stuff? Half the time it's obviously broken, or at least the 18-yr-old running it has no idea how to work it, so he just cranks it up to ear-bleed levels, so he can go back to bangin' the Popcorn Girl...Grrrrrrr....
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-30-2007, 08:22 AM
Bigerik's Avatar
Bigerik Bigerik is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: I've Been Everywhere
Posts: 60
Don't know where you guys are at, but around here, there are tons of great theatres around. Not great in the old sense of beautiful plaster work and soaring proscenium arches, but rather stadium seating, large screens and great sound systems. A decently modern theatre is to the best home theatre system what a high end audio system is to and AM radio. There is just no comparison. A 60 inch screen? Big deal, compared to a 60 FOOT screen.
On top of it all, I love the communal experience of viewing a movie. Having 500 people screaming or cheering at the same time elevates it to a different level. You can feel the emotional energy of that packed house. Thats why I love seeing movies on opening night. Last two I saw were Hairspray and the latest Harry Potter (in 3D Imax, no less). Yes, I stood in line for both, but I met some great people there.
The commercials don't bother me. I pay for cable every month, and get hours of commercials, so if 10 minutes of commercials help keep a couple of bucks off the ticket price, I'll loose no sleep over it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 07-30-2007, 09:26 AM
Duane's Avatar
Duane Duane is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 190
Going to a movie used to be an event. The single screen theaters,were,for the most part, part of the experience.The ornate lobbies,the stairs leading to the balconies,the ushers directing you to your seat. I fondly remember going to a Fox theater both in St. Louis and one here in San Diego.They were absolutely marvelous. Even the popcorn seem to have tasted better.
The modern day multi-plex theaters are catered to the masses. Get the most for the least. Movies are aimed at the young and they will go enmasse, no matter what.Bottom line is to make the most money in the first couple of weeks in the theaters and then aim towards the video market.
The last movie I saw in a theater was Bobby. An early show,during the middle of the week. There were less than 10 people seated and yet I was seated close enough to two women who talked constantly throughout the entire movie and none of their conversation was in regards to the movie. I turned and stared at them a couple of times with that look, but it had no effect. This is so commonplace now.Don't even mention the cell phones.
The theater experience is not what it used to be.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-30-2007, 10:31 AM
Jack G Jack G is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 44
OK, I'll chime in here. I don't care for the theater experience these days either.
The last few times I went, we were herded into a shoe box sized theater (Moo!) where the seats were uncomfortable, the sound was too loud and distorted, and the movie was slightly out of focus. The last time I went, a splice joint broke, and it was about 5 minutes before they fixed it. Throw in the driving across town, the parking hassles, $10 a pop plus munchies, and its just not worth it any more.
But that's just my opinion.
Jack
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-30-2007, 05:31 PM
kbs48's Avatar
kbs48 kbs48 is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Gainesville,Floriduh
Posts: 9
I don't bother going to first run movies anymore because of all the horror stories you all describe.But for old classic films I used to go to the Bagdag theater in Portland,one of the old classic theaters high domed with a balconey.The owners have taken out every other set of seats and put in long tables.They serve BEER and Pizza and NO KIDS ARE ALLOWED,the movie tickets are 2 bucks.Ahhh micro beers.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-30-2007, 05:38 PM
Fisherdude's Avatar
Fisherdude Fisherdude is offline
The Golden Age of Hi-Fi
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lewiston, ID
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
I'm starting to get tired of the experience you get at the movie theater. I went to see the new Harry Potter at the Century 12 in Redwood City, CA, and the only thing we talked about on the way home was how bad the theater was.

First there was 20 minutes of TV commercials followed by an endless series of movie trailers. By the time the movie started, other people around us were commenting on how many ads and trailers they showed. Ok, that part is beyond the theater's control, but it also had the worst projection I had ever seen.

To start, the bottom edge of the picture was very noticeably curved upward at the sides. Next, the only part of the picture that was in focus was a band about half way between the center and right edge of the screen. The left side was way out of focus. There were large scratches on the right side of the film for the entire movie. The reel splices were badly done, often leaving up to a second of black between reels. This really confused the digital sound which stopped working entirely for the last third of the film. I'm sure the final scene would have sounded great in dts!

If all that wasn't bad enough, the seats had to be at least 20 years old and were very uncomfortable.

For $10 at a major theater chain in a densely populated area, I expected more. I certainly won't be going to that theater again. I would have complained, but with so many things wrong, they clearly don't care about quality.

Am I the only one who would rather watch movies at home so I can skip the commercials and have a good picture and sound?
So what happened when you asked for your money back?
__________________
I may be growing older, but I refuse to grow up.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-30-2007, 05:56 PM
onepixel's Avatar
onepixel onepixel is offline
.
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 154
I've rediscovered going to the movies awhile back. The theaters around here are highly competitive for movier goers. Most are newer or have been completely refurbished. Big wide clean and comfy chairs, clean restrooms, and the sound systems are simply awesome. A lot of have stadium type seating so no matter how big the guys head is in front of you, you'll have an unobstructed view.

Hey Andy,

Try the Century 16 in Mountain View or better yet the new Cupertino Square 16 in the old Valco Shopping Center in Cupertino.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #11  
Old 07-30-2007, 08:35 PM
Luckyman's Avatar
Luckyman Luckyman is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 19
The last movie I went to see was Star Wars. The picture quality was horrible, and the surround sound didn't work. When the dvd came out, I was blown
away. I have 4 free movie tickets sitting on my refrigerator door. Maybe I
will try the new theater that jst opened in the next town over.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-30-2007, 09:22 PM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
Caterwaul-The racket the regulation 4-5 infants that are in every theater I've been in the last several years make. Try to imagine what a 18-month-old would sound like if you liberally daubed his ass w/Turpentine, that would be a good approximation...
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-30-2007, 09:30 PM
Bigerik's Avatar
Bigerik Bigerik is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: I've Been Everywhere
Posts: 60
You guys definitely need to check out some newer theatres. If any of you find your way up to the Toronto area, I can certainly show you what a real theatre is all about.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-30-2007, 09:33 PM
dgwojo's Avatar
dgwojo dgwojo is offline
Away 8/14 -->8/16/2009
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: SouthEast Michigan
Posts: 37
Great thread here, I'm soaking up the comments, as a partner/owner of the local theatre I'm able to provide feedback to the partners. Our theatre is from 1945, 200 seats, one 55 watt mono amp attached series parallel to a dozen EV and JBL drivers "by me", for those that have experienced Transformer's this week they're in awe what I've done with a single amp. As much as we want to remodel and do the stadium style seats, liquor and dinner, the customers just love it the way it is, old fashioned charm, they're regulars that come back for every movie and live production we do. Eventually we'll go digital surround but I'm holding back knowing that the celluloid days are numbered once everything goes digital, BTW, going all digital is extremely expensive, hardware and film company licensing. Keep the comments going, I'm taking it all in, Dave.

SLT
__________________
11-Altec A7(515/802/511B/N501),Model 19(416/802/811B/N1201),Model 18(604-8H),604-8G,8K,604C,604E,Model 9,EV Interface D,LT12,Koss CM1030.
Soundcraftsmen MA5002,MA5002A,Pro-Power3.
Toshiba SD5700(8),SD4700(4),SD3750(9).
RCA 10 band EQ w/expander(3).
HK Citation 25(2),Mac C27,1700.
Marantz 2270(3),4300,2285B,2325,2226,2230,2240,2245,2250.
Lafayette LR1500TA(2),Allied 395(3),Pioneer SX1010,850.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-30-2007, 09:50 PM
Tom Brennan's Avatar
Tom Brennan Tom Brennan is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 108
Hell, the problem isn't the picture or sound quality, that's often quite good.

It's the other goddam patrons; chattering as though they're at home, smacking away on nachos and slurping on cokes in 55 gallon drums, putzing around with their cell phones and just acting like assholes in general. A major breakdown in civility and the social contract. And when you try to quiet these self-centered louts they act the aggrieved party.

What shows need is what they used to have---ushers with the authority to shitcan people. If I ran a picture show I'd hire an off-duty copper as an usher, then if anybody gave him any monkey business he could pinch them for disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

That's what Jam Productions, a rock promoter I used to work as a bouncer for, used to do; thay always had a couple of off-duty coppers around. People that were thrown out were often arrested as a legal CYA (cover your ass) procedure.

I'd patronize a show that had a policy of keeping people in order. As it is I seldom go out to the pictures anymore.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:18 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.