Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-08-2007, 05:45 AM
Combwork's Avatar
Combwork Combwork is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kirriemuir, Scotland
Posts: 82
`Friends' DVD Sound.

Hi,

My daughter has the FRIENDS boxed set of DVD's, sent over from Canada. Region coding is not an issue, but the sound quality is. What I'm finding is that ambient sound, off screen effects and musical accompaniment with or without vocals sound good with excellent stereo imaging but dialogue can sound mushy or harsh (I know this sounds like mushy would counter harsh but it doesn't). It almost sounds as if the dialogue is out of phase with the ambient sound. Is this possible? Or is it more likely to be a problem with the DVD player, receiver or speakers? The DVD player is an average quality Panasonic multi region combi VCR/DVD unit, connected to an SX-1980 via its AUX socket driving a pair of CS99A speakers. The 1980 was overhauled by Echowars, so I'm using it as a benchmark and building my system around it. I re-capped the speakers myself a few months ago; values are as original or (in one case) very close. From what I've read, good full range speech reproduction can be more of a test of a speaker system than music and shows up any crossover problems.

My thoughts are to re-cap the crossovers again with the best caps I can get my hands on and try to exactly match original values. I've tested all six drivers in each speaker and they're good but having said that, am I right in thinking that any speaker with six drivers and a five way crossover is maybe asking for trouble?
__________________
Home brew & Hi-Fi. Quietly decomposing in the Scottish countryside.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-08-2007, 11:58 AM
VinylHanger's Avatar
VinylHanger VinylHanger is offline
auscultator inveterasco
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Oregon
Posts: 128
Try running it just out of the TV. If it sounds like crud then, you will know it is the mixing. I definetly wouldn't use a Friends DVD as a benchtest for my audio gear. However, if it sounds balanced through the TV or another set of speakers, then they may be the culprit.

I once used a Steve Miller album to check wow and flutter on my Onkyo TT. Bad idea, the song was mixed with it all over on purpose. oops. Got rid of that TT and regretted it ever since. Sometimes it is the message and not the messenger.
__________________
_______________________________
All there is to life is beer and music.... Well, family too, but they are where the beer and music is. Work? That's just to get me to the weekend.... where the beer, music and family are. Like I said, those are the important things.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-08-2007, 12:11 PM
Combwork's Avatar
Combwork Combwork is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kirriemuir, Scotland
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinylHanger
Try running it just out of the TV. If it sounds like crud then, you will know it is the mixing. I definetly wouldn't use a Friends DVD as a benchtest for my audio gear. However, if it sounds balanced through the TV or another set of speakers, then they may be the culprit.
Thanks VinylHanger. Just to clarify, I'm not using `Friends' as a benchtest; in trying to get things set up as well as possible, I'm using the SX-1980 as a reference point and setting things up around it. The only other speakers I've used are built into a Seeburg `Home Stereo'; two way co-axial design from the 1960's. They don't sound bad but lack top end response. The Pioneer speakers are weird; it's almost as if there's a hole in their frequency response which is only apparent if speech just hits that frequency.

Do you think you could send me a link to wherever you got your avatar? A decent size poster of `Veil Girl' sure would brighten up my workshop wall
__________________
Home brew & Hi-Fi. Quietly decomposing in the Scottish countryside.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-08-2007, 12:16 PM
VinylHanger's Avatar
VinylHanger VinylHanger is offline
auscultator inveterasco
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Oregon
Posts: 128
I can't remember where I got it. All I remember is that I was uh, searching for, uh....ya know, chicks and such.
__________________
_______________________________
All there is to life is beer and music.... Well, family too, but they are where the beer and music is. Work? That's just to get me to the weekend.... where the beer, music and family are. Like I said, those are the important things.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.