![]() |
|
#1
|
||||
|
||||
|
Books You'd Like To See Made Into Film
I've got a quite a few rattling around but I'll start with these from my sci-fi bend -
A Wrinkle In Time - Seems like the natural progession now that Narnia Chronicles & The Hobbit are underway, The LOTR is complete, and The Last Mimzy is coming. One of my favorite stories growing up. Neuromancer - Still one of my alltime Gibson favorites although "The Idoru" set comes close to displacing it. Hyperion - This one moved the bar for me on malevolent machine intellect. What are your choices?
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time. |
|
#2
|
||||
|
||||
|
"Warday" by Whitley Strieber & Jim Kunetka. A novel set 5 years after WW3, it is done in a quasi-documentary style. New York got it, of course, Washington got turned into glass, as did the missile fields in the Dakotas. The South & California remained pretty much unscathed, except for San Antonio, Texas. The war only lasted about 1/2 an hour, after Washington & Moscow blasted each other it was over. It now seems fairly quaint, as it was written 1983 when the Soviet Union was still very much in business. Due to EMP damage, most of the solid-state electronics were rendered inoperable, most cars didn't work due to electronic ignitions being fried. Another one was "Guns of the South" which was a "What if?" novel, by Harry Turtledove. In it, white supremacists from the future go back in time, & give Gen. Rob't E. Lee & the Army of Northern Virginia AK-47s...The 1st part is pretty much fun, as Bobby Lee & Co. get to soundly thrash the Yankees-Hehehehe-but the 2nd half is kinda preachy about slavery & all that. I'd like to see 'em give Gen Patton about 5 B-52s & 2 or 3 companies' worth of M1A1 Abrams & see how fast he coulda won WW2...
__________________
Benevolent Despot |
|
#3
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time. |
|
#4
|
||||
|
||||
|
After London, by the Victorian era nature writer Richard Jefferies. It was one of THE first science fiction books...even before some of HG Wells' classics. The story of London (and Great Britain) after some kind of worldwide disaster...natural or manmade. Jefferies also wrote his remarkable mystic autobiography, The Story of My Heart, shortly before his death in the late 1880s.
Like many other now public domain works, it's available here at Project Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/13944 The Victorian era writing takes some getting used to, but stick with it.
__________________
Yamaha, Manley, ADS, McIntosh, Rega, B&O & Victor Talking Machine "...As worrying is interest paid on trouble, long before it's due..." - Steve Hackett - "Serpentine Song"
|
|
#5
|
||||
|
||||
|
I'm going to have to check out Jefferiers.
I was thinking HG Wells myself. Tono Bungay, likely his best novel and not science fiction. It's about the end of Victorian England and the rise of industrialism. Or as it's sez here Quote:
I read it here first, I now own the book. It inspired Ralph Vaughan Williams "London Symphony". Again Victorian English is a pill but well worth it. I'm off to read "After London", I love this era.
__________________
Main: McIntosh MC2125, McIntosh C27, Ohm Acoustics Walsh 300's, AMC CD8b, Luxman K-373, Marantz 2110, Phillips N4504 w/dbx 222/200/NX40, SOTA Moonbeam w/Shure V15II/JICO-SAS Upstairs Mancave: Yaoin VK2100, Ohm Walsh F's, Luxman D-373, Sony ST-3950SD |
| Audiokarma |
|
#6
|
||||
|
||||
|
After London is REALLY special as a First Edition, and even a late 19th C reprint. There's just something about an old book.
The Pageant of Summer is pretty special too, but not as a movie: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/414 The Story of My Heart is here: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/2317
__________________
Yamaha, Manley, ADS, McIntosh, Rega, B&O & Victor Talking Machine "...As worrying is interest paid on trouble, long before it's due..." - Steve Hackett - "Serpentine Song"
|
|
#7
|
||||
|
||||
|
The complete Arkady Renko series from Martin Cruz Smith. Gorky Park was made into a so-so movie, but I bet all of them would be great with some effort.
|
|
#8
|
||||
|
||||
|
Always thought that Lovecraft's At The Mountains Of Madness would make a terrific film, in the right hands of course. Last weekend,one of my twins said some decent director (don't remember who, I'm not a follower of cinema at all) has it on his plate as a future project, finally.
__________________
"If evil exists, it's a pair of train tracks, And the Devil is a railroad car." -Josh Ritter- |
|
#9
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
Quote:
__________________
___________________ ACHOO!!
|
|
#10
|
||||
|
||||
|
__________________
In battle, in forest, at the precipice in the mountains, On the dark great sea, in the midst of javelins and arrows, In sleep, in confusion, in the depths of shame, The good deeds a man has done before defend him. --Bhagavad-Gita |
| Audiokarma |
|
#11
|
||||
|
||||
|
Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov....
__________________
" All I know, Is That I Know Nothing"..... Mono: Fisher 500 mono rec. w/EVRegency III, Stereo: Technics SP-10 TT, McIntosh MR-55, Pilot SA-232, JBL L-96, Pilot SA-210 pre. In reserve: EV12trxb, EV15trx |
|
#12
|
||||
|
||||
|
Atlas Shrugged
|
|
#13
|
||||
|
||||
|
L. Ron Hubbards' "Mission Earth" dekology.
I think it would make a great 2 or 3 part movie. Definately, one of my all time favorite stories. Full of plot twists, action, and political controversy. Heh. I've read it twice..... And i'm working on the third time. Mostly because I gleen new information from it every time I read it as i get older. You know.....wisdom, savvy and all. ![]() It's a true sci-fi satire.. ....and at 1.2 million words, could be edited to any given degree. Literally. Regards, John.
__________________
Preceding thoughts are dedicated to masters of the past, heirs of tomorrow, and travelers of today. HT-Denon/Klipsch RF7 Tube-Jolida/'57 Khorns |
|
#14
|
||||
|
||||
|
"The Earth Abides"- A plague kills 99.99% of the people on earth. The people and domestic animals have to cope with a new reality.. Great read!
__________________
HK 430, HH Scott Type 314 Tuner , Marantz Imperial 6, Braun L-1030/8 |
|
#15
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
Jimmy
__________________
Current System:Cambridge Audio 640 Azur v2/NAD pp-2/,Oppo DV-970HD dvd/cd/,Luxman T-12 Tuner,Technics SL-1200 Mk5/Grado Red,ADS L810. |
| Audiokarma |
![]() |
|
|