Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-12-2010, 02:18 PM
bandersen's Avatar
bandersen bandersen is offline
RCA 741PCS
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,826
I'm still plugging away at my HV issues, but figured I'd button up everything else.

That 2200 uF bi-polar capacitor does indeed work great in place of the old 1ohm @ 60Hz one. Since it was easy to unmount I decided to restuff it by uncrimping the can.

I used a small knife and flat bladed screwdriver to open up the crimp.


I used a heat gun to soften up all that old tar. Then I drilled a couple small holes and feed through the capacitor leads.


I used a small hammer and slowly, carefully worked my way around the base to fold the aluminum lip back over. I've heard that a hose clamp can help maintain the round shape while crimping too.


Here it is installed back in the set. Definitely tedious, but it does look nice I think.


Very cool that a modern Ohmite resistor is nearly identical to the old one.
__________________
Here are my Vintage Radio & TV YouTube Channel and Photo Gallery

Last edited by bandersen; 09-12-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-12-2010, 07:45 PM
mbates14 mbates14 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,016
I watched your youtube on how you done that capacitor. nice job.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-12-2010, 10:43 PM
bandersen's Avatar
bandersen bandersen is offline
RCA 741PCS
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,826
Thanks!

It's been suggested that I go over the glass/metal seams on the 19AP4 with something called VacuSeal. Can anyone fill me in on the benefits of this product and where to get it ?
__________________
Here are my Vintage Radio & TV YouTube Channel and Photo Gallery
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-13-2010, 06:20 AM
jeyurkon's Avatar
jeyurkon jeyurkon is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central Michigan
Posts: 1,699
It's a high vacuum leak sealant. You can find it at www.2spi.com

It's quite expensive.

John
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-13-2010, 12:58 PM
bandersen's Avatar
bandersen bandersen is offline
RCA 741PCS
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,826
Yes, that sounds like the stuff. I was told it would be expensive. I just wonder if it's worth it.
__________________
Here are my Vintage Radio & TV YouTube Channel and Photo Gallery
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 09-14-2010, 12:34 AM
bandersen's Avatar
bandersen bandersen is offline
RCA 741PCS
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,826
A little googling brought my to Phil's excellent CT-100 restoration in which he used it on a 15GP22.

Assuming that a 0.5 oz bottle is enough, I'll have to run the $36 + shipping costs by the set's owner.
__________________
Here are my Vintage Radio & TV YouTube Channel and Photo Gallery
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-14-2010, 07:52 AM
leadlike's Avatar
leadlike leadlike is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lancaster, Pa
Posts: 956
I have a Thordarson cross-reference book that would tell you what alternate flys you can use. Since you already have the universal fly on the way, you sound like you are okay. Let me know and I'll dig it up for you. BTW, it does not just cover Thordarson, but all of the common parts suppliers of the time (RAM, Merit, etc.)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-14-2010, 02:31 PM
Phil Nelson's Avatar
Phil Nelson Phil Nelson is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
A little googling brought my to Phil's excellent CT-100 restoration in which he used it on a 15GP22.

Assuming that a 0.5 oz bottle is enough, I'll have to run the $36 + shipping costs by the set's owner.
I applied Vacseal generously to the seams around two 15GP22s, which used up perhaps 1/6 of the 3-oz bottle. A little goes a long way! I have no idea what sort of seams a 19AP4 has, though.

Phil Nelson
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-14-2010, 09:36 PM
leadlike's Avatar
leadlike leadlike is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lancaster, Pa
Posts: 956
I could only find Fly-40 as a replacement. I have another Merit only book, and it seems to skip right over the parts for this model entirely. Looking over the schematics for the Merit flys, I could not find one that was even close. Motorola part # is #24C792691
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-14-2010, 12:31 PM
bandersen's Avatar
bandersen bandersen is offline
RCA 741PCS
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,826
I have the universal replacement, but haven't tried it yet. It doesn't fit well on the chassis and the leads to the tube caps are a bit short.
It's also used and a little undersized compared to the existing one.


I have the Thordarson guide from 1978, but it doesn't list other brands. Please check your guide when you get a chance. Thanks!
__________________
Here are my Vintage Radio & TV YouTube Channel and Photo Gallery
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #11  
Old 09-14-2010, 11:05 PM
bandersen's Avatar
bandersen bandersen is offline
RCA 741PCS
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,826
OK, thanks. The Sams mentions a Merit HVO-6 as a replacement, but I haven't been able to track one down.
__________________
Here are my Vintage Radio & TV YouTube Channel and Photo Gallery
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-14-2010, 11:23 PM
miniman82's Avatar
miniman82 miniman82 is offline
First Light: 1952-2011
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Great Mills, MD
Posts: 4,183
There's a few HVO-7's out there, maybe they would be close enough?

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-Emerson-TV-pa...item45f54c775a

Not affiliated
__________________
Evolution...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-15-2010, 12:14 AM
bandersen's Avatar
bandersen bandersen is offline
RCA 741PCS
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,826
Hmmm. Hard to say without a datasheet, but I looked at the other HVO-7 he has listed and this is in the description:

"Merit HV0O-7 Horiz. Output Approx 14K.V. Output with AFC replaces HVO-6 for tues up to 24 inch. "

That sounds promising! Thanks for the link.
__________________
Here are my Vintage Radio & TV YouTube Channel and Photo Gallery

Last edited by bandersen; 09-15-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-21-2010, 04:29 PM
bandersen's Avatar
bandersen bandersen is offline
RCA 741PCS
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,826
I have another bit of good news. I scored a NOS Merit HVO-6 this morning on eBay. Hopefully, that will will do the trick and I can call this project done
__________________
Here are my Vintage Radio & TV YouTube Channel and Photo Gallery
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-30-2010, 11:39 PM
bandersen's Avatar
bandersen bandersen is offline
RCA 741PCS
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,826
I finally received the Merit HVO-6 and managed to hook it up. It's not the greatest fit, but good enough to try out.


Nuts! The dark lines are less pronounced, but still there


However, I discovered that the capacitor hanging off the flyback has a big effect on those lines.
I was able to pretty much eliminate them by tweaking the value I think I'll button this set up and call it done!
__________________
Here are my Vintage Radio & TV YouTube Channel and Photo Gallery
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:50 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.