Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 06-27-2009, 03:58 PM
zenith2134's Avatar
zenith2134 zenith2134 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: UTC -4
Posts: 2,546
Considering how much lead, cadmium and mercury are in a typical television set, I seriously think that the recycling laws should be a tad stricter.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 06-27-2009, 09:08 PM
67Zenith's Avatar
67Zenith 67Zenith is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimer View Post
The 19 inch set was an RCA Colortrak,the small one was an Emerson.Both sets
were extraordinarily nasty,covered in a tar-like goo,the rear vents were almost
clogged with some fuzzy looking crap....yuk

The good news is I found this 13 Sony this morning,minutes before a torrential downpour.The set works quite well as-is,it just
needs some cleaning of the controls(usual stuff)..woo hoo
This Sony looks like the one that Bob and Emily Hartley had in their living room on The Bob Newhart Show c.1973 (or maybe it was the Sony 19" model since they were a fairly affulent couple)
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 06-28-2009, 12:34 AM
peverett peverett is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 883
One misunderstanding that I have ran about the lead contents of TVs is that some think that all TV CRTs contain lead. As there are no shadow masks, hence very little X-RAY generation, black and white CRTS do not contain lead(except for any soldier joints). It is the color CRTS that have the leaded glass, with monitor CRTs containing the most.

Of course, the old black and white TVs had plenty of lead based soldier contained in the chassis resulting in a still high pollution potential.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 06-28-2009, 08:24 PM
wa2ise's Avatar
wa2ise wa2ise is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 3,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2ise View Post
First BPC set I've seen around here in Bellevue is a 19 inch TV/VCR unit by Panasonic.
Said TV set disappeared before Sunday afternoon, and trash pickup is usually Monday morning. Maybe someone decided they could use it, if it works. I passed on it myself.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 06-28-2009, 10:24 PM
jlw37663 jlw37663 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sullivan County, TN
Posts: 18
Here in Kingsport, TN looks like someone (motel maybe) is clearing out several early 80's RCA and some others I can't identify. These will be at auction on June 29 after 3PM.


http://auctiontimegallery.com/images/IMG_9172.jpg

Across town at "Old Tyme Auction" I saw a couple of old radios and some boxes of very old vacuum tubes while dropping of some non-electronic estate items. One of the radios was a 1929 Radiola 66 and the other was a pre-WWII Philco console. There were two carton of tubes in boxes ("Standard Tube" label) and some of these were the pre-octel 4-6 pin monsters such as the 80 and 6A7. Might be good find for a restorer in this area. The tubes will be in the noon auction on June 30 and the radios will go in the evening auction after 5:30PM.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #66  
Old 06-28-2009, 11:04 PM
radiotvnut's Avatar
radiotvnut radiotvnut is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Meridian, MS
Posts: 6,025
Those RCA's look to be from the mid-late '80's. I remember the older late '70's-early '80's RCA's that had the regular VHF/UHF tuner and an AM/FM radio. There was a local flop house motel that was still using these at least up into the mid '90's. I know because they asked me to repair the broken ones at about $10 a set if I came and picked them up from the motel. Nope, don't think so, LOL!
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 06-30-2009, 09:24 PM
vinyldavid's Avatar
vinyldavid vinyldavid is offline
EFSP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Creve Coeur, Missouri, USA
Posts: 239
Just trashpicked a Sony KV-32S26. See thread.
__________________
Denon, Mackie, Lenco, JBL, Onkyo, Crown, Tascam, Teac, Otari, Ampex, Pro-Ject, Kenwood, Technics, Sound Engineering Labs, Apple, PreSonus, Panasonic, Shure, Realistic and JVC spoken here
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 07-13-2009, 11:22 PM
suede's Avatar
suede suede is offline
VK Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tacoma W.A
Posts: 22
Well i was going to post a picture, but photobuckets being odd to me. My mom asked me to drop by the church (shes organizing a rummage sale) and toss a "really old" donated tv into the trash for her. So of course i headed right out.

Turns out that "really old" set is a wood grained 1991 panasonic 20"? color set with remote and after market bunny ears. Digital tuning, but everything works fine.

As my '84 magnavox console has just decided to die on me.. Ive this girl sitting up on top of her for the time being.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 07-14-2009, 07:35 PM
grimer's Avatar
grimer grimer is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Jim Thorpe,PA
Posts: 353
---

Last edited by grimer; 05-14-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 07-16-2009, 01:08 PM
bgadow's Avatar
bgadow bgadow is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Federalsburg, MD
Posts: 5,865
Grimer, you do as good as anyone at finding things!

I was given a CTC-140 console (as mentioned in another thread) it was pretty rough looking with a bubbling fake finish, the insides loaded with mouse droppings. Since I couldn't fix it in 5 minutes or less, I parted it out.

A friend has a 36" BPC sitting his porch, says it has "no yellow". I told him I will make it dissappear for him if he helps load it on my truck. If it isn't a solder joint or something equally simple, well, another will bite the dust.

My uncle called me earlier in the week and asked if I wanted his old TV. It's an RCA console he bought in the early 80s; I remember it well. Prior to that he had a rectangular Admiral from the 60s. One day the circuit breaker popped and he decided it was the last straw, and went shopping. I can recall at the time he said he carefully examined RCA, GE, Zenith & Magnavox and decided this was the best. (I also recall him saying that the Zenith was so poorly put together that you could look in the back of the cabinet and see out the front through the cracks) Yeah, he was probably paying more attention to the cabinets than the electronics. The Admiral still played okay and was relegated to the back room. I liked to sneak in and watch it...I really need to confirm that it got junked long ago. (that has been my assumption) It would be great to learn that it is actually in his barn, but I doubt it. Anyway, a few years back my aunt won a new TV in a contest and the RCA got put in the back room itself. I'll probably ride out there and get it before the weekend, and attempt to give it away. There are some happy memories associated with it; I recall when it was brand new being over there for a New Years Eve party. Everyone was gathered around watching Dick Clark. I snuck in the other room and watched CBS & NBC on the Admiral. Johnny Carson said he would have the ball drop at midnight; knowing he was on tape I thought this must be something special so I went in the living room at a few minutes to midnight and, against the protests of the others there, swithced the channel. Turns out Johnny did this fake thing with an apple on a skewer, sitting on his desk. I really got yelled at, and quickly switched back to ABC in time to see the confetti fly. Memories...but not enough for me to keep the RCA myself, I don't think!
__________________
Bryan
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #71  
Old 07-17-2009, 08:24 PM
grimer's Avatar
grimer grimer is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Jim Thorpe,PA
Posts: 353
weird

---

Last edited by grimer; 05-14-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 07-18-2009, 12:56 AM
ChrisW6ATV's Avatar
ChrisW6ATV ChrisW6ATV is offline
Another CT-100 lives!
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hayward, Cal. USA
Posts: 3,552
grimer-

Those look like Sony KV-1922's. I bought one as my first brand-new TV set, for $450 in 1979 at a store called McDade's in the Chicago, Illinois area. It was a great TV set.
__________________
Chris

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 07-20-2009, 12:53 PM
mr_fixer's Avatar
mr_fixer mr_fixer is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tennessee USA
Posts: 605
I found a 1983 Zenith Z1920W , on the curb yesterday. It works perfectly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00033.jpg (65.3 KB, 115 views)
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 07-20-2009, 08:09 PM
suede's Avatar
suede suede is offline
VK Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tacoma W.A
Posts: 22
Just scored a "70s" JCPENNY tv"12incher black and white off the curbside. yeah ive no picture. It works real clear and all. ive just no idea why photobucket wont take my pics.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 07-20-2009, 08:35 PM
grimer's Avatar
grimer grimer is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Jim Thorpe,PA
Posts: 353
---

Last edited by grimer; 05-14-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.