Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 06-25-2008, 12:55 PM
Aage's Avatar
Aage Aage is offline
Custom User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow 68 View Post
I highly recommend "Three Day's Of The Condor", and "Network". Also check out Redford's, "The Candidate". All should be seen in every high school.
Okay, I know, I am off topic.
What about "Catch 22"?
  #62  
Old 06-25-2008, 01:04 PM
vinyldavid's Avatar
vinyldavid vinyldavid is offline
EFSP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Creve Coeur, Missouri, USA
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
What about "Catch 22"?
Already own it.
__________________
Denon, Mackie, Lenco, JBL, Onkyo, Crown, Tascam, Teac, Otari, Ampex, Pro-Ject, Kenwood, Technics, Sound Engineering Labs, Apple, PreSonus, Panasonic, Shure, Realistic and JVC spoken here
  #63  
Old 06-25-2008, 04:56 PM
arrow 68 arrow 68 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
What about "Catch 22"?
All three of the movies I mentioned were made over 30 years ago. And they are right on with what is going on in the world today!!! Catch 22 is a good movie, but it doesn't resonate like the others.
  #64  
Old 06-25-2008, 05:22 PM
MudPuppy176 MudPuppy176 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo View Post
I received my initial reactor training at Bettis Labs - Naval Reactors in Idaho, not far from the SL1 site. We were given a tour of the facility and as I recall, it happened during reactor maintenance, not operations. For reasons not known (or I can't remember) they pulled a rod (they were not motorized) and took the reactor super-critical.

As I recall, one of the maintenance workers was impaled by the rod itself...
One was impaled, I believe 3 died. The one impaled was launched into the ceiling by the control rod where his body was found. We saw the training video when I went through operator licensing. No one knew why he pulled the rod up, but he had to do it quickly to get the steam generation required to eject the control rod. I saw the video around 1983, kinda foggy by now....
  #65  
Old 06-25-2008, 05:35 PM
BajaGringo's Avatar
BajaGringo BajaGringo is offline
Beach Bum
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Baja, Mexico
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudPuppy176 View Post
One was impaled, I believe 3 died. The one impaled was launched into the ceiling by the control rod where his body was found. We saw the training video when I went through operator licensing. No one knew why he pulled the rod up, but he had to do it quickly to get the steam generation required to eject the control rod. I saw the video around 1983, kinda foggy by now....
My training took place in 1976, so you can imagine how foggy my memory is. There are some pretty cool sites out there in the Idaho desert. Because of my security clearance and bilingual ability, I was asked to accompany a tour from Spain to visit a few of the areas that were normally off-limits, including the spent fuel handling facility and others.

The one I found most interesting was a test site where they were setting up to see if a water cooled thermal fuel core would simply go sub-critical and shutdown if the all water were rapidly drained, simulating a major loss of coolant accident. The theory was that there would be some minor meltdown but that overall the core would remain intact, going against the popular "China Syndrome" scare.

I listened to the project lead explain the theory and it sounded feasible. Unfortunately the actual testing was scheduled to begin after my training at Idaho.

I suppose it wasn't something that would make the news. I still am curious as to what happened...
__________________
The New BajaGringo Beach Pad is Underway...



Take Risks - Explore, Dream & Discover...
Audiokarma
  #66  
Old 06-25-2008, 05:55 PM
MudPuppy176 MudPuppy176 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo View Post
The one I found most interesting was a test site where they were setting up to see if a water cooled thermal fuel core would simply go sub-critical and shutdown if the all water were rapidly drained, simulating a major loss of coolant accident. The theory was that there would be some minor meltdown but that overall the core would remain intact, going against the popular "China Syndrome" scare.

I listened to the project lead explain the theory and it sounded feasible. Unfortunately the actual testing was scheduled to begin after my training at Idaho.

I suppose it wasn't something that would make the news. I still am curious as to what happened...
I'm sure it would go sub-critical without moderation, let alone doppler's effects. Fast fission alone wouldn't yield a Keffective over 1. The decay heat however would pose problems....
We've already been warned by moderators that this thread is about a nuclear power movie, and not about nuclear power. We should discuss cardboard and styrofoam to keep the thread on track.
  #67  
Old 06-25-2008, 06:36 PM
tentoze's Avatar
tentoze tentoze is offline
Twangophile
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 125
Move along.
Closed Thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.