![]() |
|
#46
|
||||
|
||||
|
The Moderators prefer that posts remain on topic, which is a MOVIE, not the pros & cons of nuclear power generation, nor the technical merits of diverse design techologies for same.
|
|
#47
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
The ones who were bored, was there discussion afterwards and they related why they felt that way? |
|
#48
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
Everyone did not like it because they thought it had no message and the topic was boring.... ya gotta remember it's TEENAGERS here... How many teenagers that you know would find a dated movie about nuclear reactors that had almost no violence or sex interesting?
__________________
Denon, Mackie, Lenco, JBL, Onkyo, Crown, Tascam, Teac, Otari, Ampex, Pro-Ject, Kenwood, Technics, Sound Engineering Labs, Apple, PreSonus, Panasonic, Shure, Realistic and JVC spoken here |
|
#49
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
Again here we see a good example of how most AKers can disagree without being disagreeable. Thank you Mudpuppy176 for a good discussion. With best regards, 70salesguy
__________________
I'm the only one that has to like the sound of my system. But if you expect to be invited back, you better say you like the sound of my system!. |
|
#50
|
||||
|
||||
|
One of the reasons why the French and Canadians have been so successful with nuclear power is the common design each uses. This makes for evolution of the design and controlled changes. They also get cheaper over time. Despite the name "Ontario Hydro" with the addition of the Bruce Penninsula plant they probably produce more power with nuclear than hydro.
__________________
![]() Some people are like Slinkies, not really good for anything. They do bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs. |
| Audiokarma |
|
#51
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
|
|
#52
|
||||
|
||||
|
Comanche Peak Station in TX was still under construction when the movie was released (it was under construction FOREVER, for that matter). The Control Room was redesigned to remove a large panoramic viewing window similar to the one in that movie where people could look down on the room from outside. How do I know this? I as-built the redesigned structure that replaced it.
|
|
#53
|
|||
|
|||
|
Quote:
__________________
Blind tests reveal audio truths. IF you ride like lightening, you will crash like thunder ~ BIG YOUTH |
|
#54
|
|||
|
|||
|
Quote:
Okay, I know, I am off topic.
|
|
#55
|
||||
|
||||
|
I don't recall if it has been mentioned, but Fail Safe would be highly recommended viewing from me.
__________________
I'm the only one that has to like the sound of my system. But if you expect to be invited back, you better say you like the sound of my system!. |
| Audiokarma |
|
#56
|
|||
|
|||
|
Yeah, but the movie, its plot, the dialog, the actors' personal views that shaped their characterizations of the roles they played --the whole movie package --was advocacy for a certain view of the nuclear energy industry at that time. It is impossible to intelligently discuss China Syndrome without commenting on its view of the technology that formed the basis for the movie's message.
__________________
Vintage: Kenwood KR-8010, Kenwood KR-9600 (2), Marantz 2385, Marantz 2500, McIntosh MAC-1700 (2), SAE TWO R9, Sansui RZ7000, Yamaha R1000 Main: McIntosh MX130, MI-3, MC300, Sony/TRL CE595, Magnepan 1.6qr Office: Marantz 2385, Music Hall Maverick, Monitor Audio Bronze 2 |
|
#57
|
||||
|
||||
|
I would imagine that most movies that deal with very technical subjects have the same shortcomings that are most easily spotted by people who are in that field.
"Hollywood" and "reality" are often different things.
__________________
I'm the only one that has to like the sound of my system. But if you expect to be invited back, you better say you like the sound of my system!. |
|
#58
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
|
|
#59
|
||||
|
||||
|
Well, back to the movie....
I saw it in the theater when it originally came out, and I was less nuclear educated than I am now (or I would have been snickering a LOT more), and while everybody seemed agahst at the ending, my take was that while the greedy bean counters had pushed the equipment beyond any reasonable limits, the engineers that designed it and the hardhats that had put it together had won out since the mistreated equipment had done what was needed, and it was now time to roast the bean counters on a slowly rotating spit over a low fire. For a REALLY scary real-life account of a reactor accident in 1961, google sl-1 idaho. It was over in milliseconds.... And as for the initial China syndrome premise, there are always solutions, and to understand how narrow a range of conditions are necessary to get it to happen and STAY happening (melt, not vaporize and disperse) gets me : almost as steamed as their little horror story....
__________________
![]() Nothing is ever completely fool proof, because fools are so ingenious. |
|
#60
|
||||
|
||||
|
I received my initial reactor training at Bettis Labs - Naval Reactors in Idaho, not far from the SL1 site. We were given a tour of the facility and as I recall, it happened during reactor maintenance, not operations. For reasons not known (or I can't remember) they pulled a rod (they were not motorized) and took the reactor super-critical.
As I recall, one of the maintenance workers was impaled by the rod itself...
__________________
The New BajaGringo Beach Pad is Underway... ![]() Take Risks - Explore, Dream & Discover... |
| Audiokarma |
![]() |
|
|