Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 03-21-2007, 12:21 PM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
I don't know -- I loved the book, but I think I would be disappointed with any film that was made out of it, I just don't picture it translating to the screen well. Ditto Neuromancer.

And to keep on the Niven/Pournelle theme -- how about my personal favourite, The Legacy of Heorot (w/Steve Barnes)? I love the fact that some of these people used to be the smartest ever, and got stupid as a result of suspended animation. They better not leave it out of the movie. (Or was that Beowulf's Children?)
After seeing 300, I believe anything is possible image-wise.

No, it was in Legacy of the Heorot first. I have not read the sequel, Beowulf's Children.

Along those lines, anyone read "The Deathworld Trilogy" by Harry Harrison? Plenty of fun in there for the big screen.
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 03-21-2007, 12:30 PM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-it pete
It means (pick one):

A) We are smart, thoughtful people.

B) We are dreamers of dreams.

C) We are complete sci-fi geeks playing with stories and stereo equipment.





When I saw this thread title I thought Foundation. But they'd have to do it as well as the Lord of the Rings, or it would stink as bad as "Enemy Mine".

Pete
Years back at an ADS Christmas party, quite a few of the engineers, sales people, techs, etc. were putting a few back and the topic of sci-fi came up. As I discovered, we'd all read most of the same stuff and I thought that rather amazing and said as much. One of the sales guys laughed and stated, "How do you think we all got in this business?".

Yup.
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 03-22-2007, 07:58 AM
Dusty Chalk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmotor
After seeing 300, I believe anything is possible image-wise.
Oh, I'm sure it could be represented, I'm just not sure I'd like it. For example, without voiceover narrations, how does one get into the thoughts of a character? Similarly, how does one represent abstract concepts, like the main character figuring out something without explicitly stating what it is they've figured out.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 03-22-2007, 08:04 AM
scolba's Avatar
scolba scolba is offline
Pro Audio Wierdo
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bloomington, IL
Posts: 3
Tom Clancy's Rainbow 6 or pretty much any Clive Cussler book....except its has to be well done...not the crap that has been done in the past...
__________________
-- There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness" -- :D
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 03-22-2007, 08:10 AM
shrinkboy's Avatar
shrinkboy shrinkboy is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Oak Cliff, Texas, just across the Trinity River from Big D
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
Oh, I'm sure it could be represented, I'm just not sure I'd like it. For example, without voiceover narrations, how does one get into the thoughts of a character? Similarly, how does one represent abstract concepts, like the main character figuring out something without explicitly stating what it is they've figured out.
voiceover is the clumsiest way in film to reveal a character's thoughts. good writers, directors and actors can convey this through a characters actions depicted in response to other actions. since a screenwriter can't write something the camera cannot see, the art of screenwriting has much to do with showing the invisible through the visible.

i am in the middle of writing my second screenplay. the discipline of 'showing without telling' is an exacting one, but when you get the hang of it, it improves your ability to compose fiction as well, because you have become adept showing what is going on, rather than telling it.
__________________
Technics SL1700/SL1400
Marantz CDR700/Entech205.3
Onkyo TA-RW 311
TEAC x2000r/Realistic TR3000
DBX CX-2/Phase Linear 400 Mk.II
Acoustic Research AR3a
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #51  
Old 03-22-2007, 09:16 AM
Dusty Chalk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkboy
voiceover is the clumsiest way in film to reveal a character's thoughts. good writers, directors and actors can convey this through a characters actions depicted in response to other actions. since a screenwriter can't write something the camera cannot see, the art of screenwriting has much to do with showing the invisible through the visible.
First of all, I agree completely.

But...

I was not talking in the general, I was talking about the two specific books that I said that I did not think would make good films.

Don't get me wrong -- I think there are William Gibson stories that would make good movies (Pattern Recognition comes to mind), just not Neuromancer. But then again, I'm not sure I understand the ending to Neuromancer, so that's part of the problem right there.

Another concept that is very difficult to convey in film is cyberspace, especially the non-anthropomorphized versions that we are living with today. IMHO, the film that came closest to representing what was going on in that kind of cyberspace was the climax of Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence, but even that one took several iterations of viewing to "get" completely. Especially without completely disrupting the pace of that sequence, very "action". I can't imagine Man-Machine Interface being made into a movie -- a good third of it would just be the one character sitting there, with her arm falling off somewhere in the middle.

Anthropomorphic cyberspace is fairly easy, and we've seen it done several times -- my favourite being Avalon. I'd like to see that kind of completely over the top treatment with Snowcrash.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 03-22-2007, 11:55 AM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
I think there are William Gibson stories that would make good movies (Pattern Recognition comes to mind),
Yes, reliving on the big screen our heroine obsess about rips in her Japan-retro-chic nylon bomber jacket or where she can do her pilates routine in private fills me with desire......



Then again, it might make a better movie than a book. Seeing someone like Callista Flockhart in her anorectic phase have a nutty about the Michelin man could be quite amusing to watch.



(I am poking fun you know!)
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 03-22-2007, 12:17 PM
Dusty Chalk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmotor
Then again, it might make a better movie than a book. Seeing someone like Callista Flockhart in her anorectic phase have a nutty about the Michelin man could be quite amusing to watch.



(I am poking fun you know!)
Yes! You could have one of those discordant comedic moments in an otherwise serious movie. It would go over terribly with the critics, but the hipsters would love it.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 03-22-2007, 12:24 PM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
"Callista Flockhart"- That always sounded like the name of some sort of fungus or something equally dreadful..."Myron ! Th' Doc tol' me I have Flockhart ! The Callista strain, too !!" "Oh, Dear God, Sadie ! How are they gonna treat it ? Chemo or amputation? How long-GULP !- do they think you have ?!?"
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 03-22-2007, 02:25 PM
electronjohn's Avatar
electronjohn electronjohn is offline
I like....big sparks!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: minnesota
Posts: 652
Soundmotor: Thanks for bringing up "The Deathworld Trilogy"!! Absolutely AWESOME book...fun, fun, fun to read. Now...who to cast as the intrepid Jason dinAlt????
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #56  
Old 03-23-2007, 07:10 AM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by electronjohn
Now...who to cast as the intrepid Jason dinAlt????
Jason dinAlt was an interesting character. A libertine, reasonably smart, & reasonably fit. No huge names came to mind but a few smaller ones did like Paul Walker, Barry Pepper, Michael Biehn, & Tim Roth. They all sort of fit the mental picture I had of dinAlt when I read the book the first time through. As an aside, there are several other books about the Pyrrhans & dinAlt that follow the arc of trilogy. I read that one of them isn't even in English!
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 03-23-2007, 07:18 AM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G
"Callista Flockhart"- That always sounded like the name of some sort of fungus or something equally dreadful..."Myron ! Th' Doc tol' me I have Flockhart ! The Callista strain, too !!" "Oh, Dear God, Sadie ! How are they gonna treat it ? Chemo or amputation? How long-GULP !- do they think you have ?!?"
When Ally McBeal was on, I'd endure several of my office mates droning on & on about CF. I could never quite get a handle on the whole deal. I mean she's OK looking and can sometimes be pretty hot. Usually though she just looks startled & underfed.
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 03-23-2007, 08:05 AM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
Exactly. She's cute 'n' all, but a good butter bean fart would knock her down...I just never "got" the attraction of her.
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 03-23-2007, 08:33 AM
WhiteSE's Avatar
WhiteSE WhiteSE is offline
Lambda Acoustics!!!
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Pocomoke, MD
Posts: 174
Ally McBeal?? I think she is kinda ugly...there are many actresses that if you saw them walking down the street without the veil of media and fame, we wouldnt give them a second look.

in that list I would include also: Cameron Diaz, Drew Barrymore, whats' her face, the actress from MY Best Friend's Wedding and the Mexican movie with Brad Pitt..., the girl opposite Tom Cruise in Jerry McGuire and in Chicago..,
Penelope Cruz, Jessica Parker something from Sex In..., and many others...

They are good actors, but in looks, just like a million out there..
__________________
" All I know, Is That I Know Nothing".....

Mono: Fisher 500 mono rec. w/EVRegency III, Stereo: Technics SP-10 TT, McIntosh MR-55, Pilot SA-232, JBL L-96, Pilot SA-210 pre.
In reserve: EV12trxb, EV15trx
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 03-23-2007, 09:29 AM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
Renee Zingerdinger ? Yeah, she's sposed to be The Hottest Thing On Wheels-Sorry, Charlie. I loved Queen Latifah in Chicago- And wouldn't she be FABULOUS in the Butterfly McQueen role if they remade "Gone W/the Wind"? Can't you just see her in a doo-rag, throwin' her hands up, screechin' "I don't know nothin' about birthin' no babies..!!" Hehehehehe...Ain't I a Stinkah ?!?
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:03 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.