![]() |
![]() |
|
|
Thread Tools | Display Modes |
|
#31
|
||||
|
||||
|
Not as "icky" as poo(at least for me), but definitly more of a pain in the a$$ to clean.
It also smells better(sort of like new inflatable pool toy/air matress IMHO). What makes it such a pain is 1.) how got'damn sticky it is (it out does even my worst allergy day snot), and 2.) my early wire glue cutting attempts did a better job of pulling the glue out and spreading it all over the face of the glass and the side of the tube such that it is much tougher to remove than the the bulk layer on the inside of the lense (that layer I was more or less able to completely rolled off by hand). Windex IS the MOST effective solvent for Zenith PVA that I have tried. Water will not even do the least bit of good when attempting to remove that gooey PVA from my hands, but the windex(with a pinch of scrubbing) gets it off completely. There is still a good bit of that garbage left on the tube so I have more cleaning to do tomarrow. Wish me luck. Tom C. |
|
#32
|
||||
|
||||
|
I'm quite relieved that our colour sets were not old enough to have bonded crts's with this problem. Some of my mono sets with bonded tubes have snail trail lines coming from top and bottom of the crt but when the set is going you don't even notice them. By the way what are those numbers on the bottom of the picture tube in the last photo?
__________________
Visit my Vintage TV & Radio Page - http://nzvintagetvradio.blogspot.com/ My YouTube Link - http://www.youtube.com/user/glenz1975?feature=mhsn |
|
#33
|
||||
|
||||
|
When I first saw those numbers I was suprised that they were there.
I don't know their meaning, but I do know that all three roundy tubes I have are marked with similar numbers in the same spot. So it would seem that most manufacturers used them. Tom C. |
|
#34
|
||||
|
||||
|
Time for an update. Today (technically yesterday) I did a second cateract on a rectangular tube, Letting the tubes sit in the sun extra long seems to eliminate the need to electrically heat the wire.
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Again I was able to roll most of the PVA off, but was getting tired of the limited effectiveness of windex at removing the residue. ![]() ![]() ![]() With that in mind I sought out someting better while at the hardware store for the double stick, and clear sillicone caulk that I've read is a good way to reinstall the safety glass. And found this product which is much much better at getting the PVA residue off (though it almost seems to fog the safety glass in the process, but maybe the glass was that way from the beginning?). ![]() I used that whole bottle and cleaned everything spotless except the round CRT(which I started to clean before running out). I couldent get 1/4" wide 1/8" thick foam double stick tape, but if I cut this lengthwise and stack two or three high I belive it just may work. Is this a bad idea? ![]() Will any caulk work to seal the safety glass after remounting, or is a speciffic type needed? This is what I plan to use. Is it the right stuff? ![]() Tom C. |
|
#35
|
||||
|
||||
|
Well I finally got around to filming one of the removals I preformed and posted it here http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=251762 .
I also cleaned and reattached the safety glass and reinstalled the CRT. The set preformed about as well as it did before, but the HV droped to 5KV shortly after, the audio is buzzing, and there is no video or sound. Which screams power supply problem to me. I'm going to look further in to it. This the set I speak of. ![]() I bought this from DRH4683 about three years back, and he has a youtube series on how he got it working so this is not it's first time having a repair video on the net. I was also considering decating this set, but I don't really have time, want to preserve the 100% originallity(and yes it does work), and want keep the one remaining example of a Zenith cateract I have. ![]() Tom C. Last edited by Electronic M; 08-04-2011 at 07:53 PM. Reason: busted link, and typeos |
| Audiokarma |
![]() |
|
|