Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 07-31-2007, 09:58 PM
DENNYDOG's Avatar
DENNYDOG DENNYDOG is offline
PIONEER Lover :)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Central,MN
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinitus View Post
BRING BACK CARTOONS!!! One Looney Tunes - Merrie Melodies per show, maybe Tom and Jerry, after the commercials and coming attractions and right before the feature film. Yeah, fat chance!
This reminds me of a town nearby that that actually setup an outdoor theater in a park and ran kids movies throughout the summer. The last one they played was The Princess Bride. I think they charged like $.50 probably to keep it legal. I thought this was a great idea to get the kids out there out of the house. I never went (no kids) but I always thought it would be cool to get a projector and setup a temporary sound system, turn the yard light off and project it on the side of my barn. Invite all the neighbors and friends and I bet it would be the talk of the town. Well I live in a small town anyway.

Oh yeah and to top it off Looney Tunes before hand would be a great idea!
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-31-2007, 10:03 PM
2DualsNotEnough's Avatar
2DualsNotEnough 2DualsNotEnough is offline
The Goodbye Look
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Phoenix,AZ
Posts: 308
Whenever I go to a Pixar animated film(Toy Story,Bugs Life,Cars,etc.)they always have a cartoon before the movie.The one before Ratatouie was priceless.
Jimmy
__________________
Current System:Cambridge Audio 640 Azur v2/NAD pp-2/,Oppo DV-970HD dvd/cd/,Luxman T-12 Tuner,Technics SL-1200 Mk5/Grado Red,ADS L810.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-01-2007, 06:08 AM
dgwojo's Avatar
dgwojo dgwojo is offline
Away 8/14 -->8/16/2009
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: SouthEast Michigan
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNYDOG View Post
This reminds me of a town nearby that that actually setup an outdoor theater in a park and ran kids movies throughout the summer. The last one they played was The Princess Bride. I think they charged like $.50 probably to keep it legal. I thought this was a great idea to get the kids out there out of the house. I never went (no kids) but I always thought it would be cool to get a projector and setup a temporary sound system, turn the yard light off and project it on the side of my barn. Invite all the neighbors and friends and I bet it would be the talk of the town. Well I live in a small town anyway.

Oh yeah and to top it off Looney Tunes before hand would be a great idea!
The Cleveland Metroparks are doing a cool gig in Medina Ohio at Ledge Lake pool, a "dive-in movie" usually preceded with cartoons; Dive-In Ohio
__________________
11-Altec A7(515/802/511B/N501),Model 19(416/802/811B/N1201),Model 18(604-8H),604-8G,8K,604C,604E,Model 9,EV Interface D,LT12,Koss CM1030.
Soundcraftsmen MA5002,MA5002A,Pro-Power3.
Toshiba SD5700(8),SD4700(4),SD3750(9).
RCA 10 band EQ w/expander(3).
HK Citation 25(2),Mac C27,1700.
Marantz 2270(3),4300,2285B,2325,2226,2230,2240,2245,2250.
Lafayette LR1500TA(2),Allied 395(3),Pioneer SX1010,850.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-24-2007, 02:57 PM
Teron's Avatar
Teron Teron is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Out there somewhere --->
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
The last several flicks I've been to see have been disasters. Whether it's the dumbass 7'10" redneck who HAS to sit directly in front of me, & WON'T remove his cap, the 5-6 infants who are MANDATED by state law seemingly to be in every theater I attend, & who caterwaul the entire picture, or the endless stream of weenybopper kids who whisper & go in an endless stream back & forth the entire picture...We won't even go into the Oh-dear-God-what's-that-on-the-floor, the broken, dirty seats, the hour of commercials-I'm old enuff to remember when you saw maybe 2 or 3 at most "coming attractions", or the usurous rates Carmike or whomever charges nowadays for us to "enjoy" our entertainment. And the DBX, DTS, XYZ or all that hi-falutin sound system stuff? Half the time it's obviously broken, or at least the 18-yr-old running it has no idea how to work it, so he just cranks it up to ear-bleed levels, so he can go back to bangin' the Popcorn Girl...Grrrrrrr....


I, unfortunately, even though I knew it was a bad idea to go at that hour, saw The Simpsons movie at 11:30PM on a Saturday at the mall theater.

More than a few bastards playing musical chairs. Two of said bastards were in front of us talking on their cell phones, putting their legs up in front of us and other people... Then the best part was the obnoxious idiot somewhere upper right who would repeat, very loudly, every frakkin joke and then laugh really obnoxiously.
Talk to a manager? HA! They wont do anything. Babies crying, people being idiots, they wont do anything and they'll even argue with you over giving you a refund or a ticket to use on any movie. I don't want to get up and miss 5-15 minutes+ when there's an issue.

I went to see The Simpsons Movie again as a manatee the next day at around 3PM, all was well. No issues, very nice.

Lesson learned. Movies are meant to be seen only as a manatee.

Many movies are great once, but again, meh. The Simpsons movie was as funny the second time around, that's a sign of a good movie.
__________________
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-24-2007, 03:31 PM
madpioneer madpioneer is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 24
I never saw piece of sh*t commercials on the big screen in the 70's and 80's yet they charged semi reasonable prices. So I can't complain that they have them now cuz I might pay $15?
Am I watching cable TV or a movie?
I paid to see a movie but I am forced to hear & watch commercials when did this bullsh*t begin?
Theaters here are all now new duplexes with stadium reclining seating for the most part and the visual and audio usually are descent.
It's the general public that ruins it! I only go when I get a free promotional pass or free passes from work. Even then I think twice cuz I know what I am instore for.
Last free movie was 'Resurrecting the Champ'. Fool sitting beside me kept fudging with his piece of sh*t cell phone I kid you not every 2 minutes. It had a brightly lit display which blinded me thru half the movie.Doubt he even got half of what was going on in the movie putz! Can't say anything unless you want some bad looks and backlash to go with that.
People behind my kids and I at 'the Transformers' just had to comment on every scene and never shut up thru the whole film. No one around will say anything to them or give them the big shoosh! besides me because thats normal to do in society today. Were talking adults too not teenage kids here.
People in general today are just idiots and morons. Don't believe me look at MySpace, YouTube,News and the like and tell me it isn't so. The lack of respect is appauling. So I usually stay at home and watch what I like at the volume I like without yapping assclowns around me checking thier cell phone messages or kicking the back of my chair. I can refill my Coca Cola every 15min. or hit the restroom without having to miss any part. Yeah its only 40" screen with no 16:9 widescreen ratio and the sound is not perfect but damnit its perfect for me!
There I said it...
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #36  
Old 08-24-2007, 03:44 PM
madpioneer madpioneer is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 24
On a side note. After I get home from work today on will go the HT the plasma and the SPEC rig. Then I will sit down with an ice cold Coca Cola. First up will be some Twisted Sister videos, then K19 the Widowmaker then onto Dungeons & Dragons the movie with semi loud volume.
However there will not be any crying babies, cell phones ringing and being checked, no one narrating the films, or anyone kicking the back of my couch.
How will I ever enjoy any of it?!
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08-24-2007, 04:04 PM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
Oh, Mark, I'm sure you could find a couple of Booger-Eatin' Moh-Rons who'd yack away on phones, talk, spill Coke all over yr furniture, & traipse back 'n' forth the whole time....Bonus points if they haven't bathed recently, or have problems w/ Intestinal Gas...or have 2 or 3 loud, obnoxious infants/young crumb-crunchers...
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-24-2007, 04:35 PM
madpioneer madpioneer is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 24
Quote:
originally posted by Sandy G Oh, Mark, I'm sure you could find a couple of Booger-Eatin' Moh-Rons who'd yack away on phones, talk, spill Coke all over yr furniture, & traipse back 'n' forth the whole time....Bonus points if they haven't bathed recently, or have problems w/ Intestinal Gas...or have 2 or 3 loud, obnoxious infants/young crumb-crunchers...
You got that right, probably only have to walk across the street in my neighborhood offer to open my home for a movie night and I would have all that you mentioned maybe more. Should make my movie experience more realistic, thanx! I will scope the neighborhood and see what pickins' there is.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-27-2007, 10:42 AM
Tom Brennan's Avatar
Tom Brennan Tom Brennan is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 108
"I, unfortunately, even though I knew it was a bad idea to go at that hour, saw The Simpsons movie at 11:30PM on a Saturday at the mall theater."


What, you go to a see a cartoon picture based on a TV show and wonder why the place is full of knotheads?
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 08-27-2007, 11:26 AM
madpioneer madpioneer is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 24
You just have to ask yourself this one thing: 'Why do I go to the movies/theater and pay $8.25 to begin with?'

For me its to experience something I can't exactly duplicate at home. That is to be totally cosumed by the movie, big picture wise and big sound wise. I want to feel as if I am a third party watching this all unfold right from the sidelines like I am in the movie itself. To escape from my own reality for 90 to 150 minutes. Is this not what you are paying for or am I off here?

How are you going to experience this with 6'.5" Redneck Bubba in the seat in front of you with hat, the Playa Master P next to you constantly checking cell phone messages or Yapper Yolanda 'I never turn my cell phone off no matter what!' ringing in you ear.
Mother of the Year behind you with three or four ten years olds that are allowed to kick the back of your chair throughout the entire picture regardless of your constant looking back and giving the Mother & child your looks of disgust. How about Row Rouser Rolondo and his three friends that have to hit the restroom or snack bar every ten minutes constantly entering or exiting your row on your side.
Then theres my favorite Annoying Nat(as in the bug) the Narrator that feels he is superior to anyone else and wants to show his girlfriend and everyone else around him how witty and intelligent he is by critiqueing out loud every scene with his cinematic expertese.
The Cheap Ass Mom that says'I don't need no baby sitter to go to see a movie' I am used to my child screaming loudy I just block it out they will be fine in the theater everyone will just have to deal, I mean its a child its not their fault.
Just a few of the many!!
I have been at a few showings were the sound is cranked high. Wouldn't matter whos talking behind you cuz they get drowned out. But this is a very rare occasion. Most of the time I feel the sound is way too low.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #41  
Old 08-27-2007, 11:40 AM
2DualsNotEnough's Avatar
2DualsNotEnough 2DualsNotEnough is offline
The Goodbye Look
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Phoenix,AZ
Posts: 308
I remember going to the Base Theatres when I was in the Air Force.Since it was closed to only Airmen and their families,it was a pretty safe enviroment for kids to go to.Parents would go with their kids,then have their kids sit in the front of the theatre,while they sat in the back.Rugrats running and screaming right in front of you,while the parents were having the movie experience you only wished you could have.
jimmy
__________________
Current System:Cambridge Audio 640 Azur v2/NAD pp-2/,Oppo DV-970HD dvd/cd/,Luxman T-12 Tuner,Technics SL-1200 Mk5/Grado Red,ADS L810.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 08-27-2007, 11:42 AM
piece-it pete's Avatar
piece-it pete piece-it pete is offline
What, me worry?
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 29
The brand new theaters have awesome seating and sound. If I could take in a stiff drink and an ashtray I'd be set .

I don't go often but when I do I go early in the week, mon or tues, and not a newly released movie, get off work pick up the so and make the 5-5:30 show.

This has worked great! The theaters are usually empty, or at most 6-8 folks total.

I no longer buy concessions though.

I stopped by an old theater when I lived in Parma and man, the seating was at a weird angle (they chopped a 1 screen into 3) and the soundtrack sounded exactly like a transistor radio sitting on the stage.

What a far cry from the grand old dams of old, I remember seeing that moon-shot-was-faked movie (late 70s?) in a giant theater in Chicago, wow what a place.

Btw I still go to the drive-in occassionally, with a decent car stereo it's really quite good, and I have my stiff drink and ashtray!

Pete
__________________
"If only these walls could talk. Then people would pay to see my amazing talking walls."

Homer Simpson
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 08-27-2007, 11:49 AM
2DualsNotEnough's Avatar
2DualsNotEnough 2DualsNotEnough is offline
The Goodbye Look
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Phoenix,AZ
Posts: 308
Ive found that if I go to a movie aimed at teens,like Superbad,or Hot Rod,and Im one of the few adults,the kids are actually fairly respectful around me,and if some idiot leaves their cellphone on,the other teens will yell LOUDLY to turn that shit off.
Ive had more trouble in the local "art film" theatre with a room full of adults.My favorite is the control freak woman that invariably shows up during the credits,or 2 minutes after the movie starts,and tries to get everyone to move so that her party can all sit together."If you all moved down one seat,we could all sit here".A few times Ive told them,"if you got here a half hour earlier,you could have picked your seat.I hope you enjoy the front row."If its someone with a kid,or an older person,Ill make the concession,since I know how hard it can be on their sight and their necks to sit so close.
Jimmy
__________________
Current System:Cambridge Audio 640 Azur v2/NAD pp-2/,Oppo DV-970HD dvd/cd/,Luxman T-12 Tuner,Technics SL-1200 Mk5/Grado Red,ADS L810.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 08-27-2007, 11:55 AM
2DualsNotEnough's Avatar
2DualsNotEnough 2DualsNotEnough is offline
The Goodbye Look
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Phoenix,AZ
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-it pete View Post
I remember seeing that moon-shot-was-faked movie (late 70s)

Pete
Capricorn One with Elliott Gould?The one where they fake going to Mars.I enjoyed that one,too.
Jimmy
__________________
Current System:Cambridge Audio 640 Azur v2/NAD pp-2/,Oppo DV-970HD dvd/cd/,Luxman T-12 Tuner,Technics SL-1200 Mk5/Grado Red,ADS L810.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 08-27-2007, 12:11 PM
Tom Brennan's Avatar
Tom Brennan Tom Brennan is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 108
"A few times Ive told them,"if you got here a half hour earlier,you could have picked your seat.I hope you enjoy the front row."If its someone with a kid,or an older person,Ill make the concession,since I know how hard it can be on their sight and their necks to sit so close."



Good for you. Really.


I don't even go out to the pictures anymore. Yeah, I know a good show gives a better presentation but my setup is good enough.

The last time going out was worth it was when I saw Roger Ebert put on Lawrence of Arabia in 70mm at an old movie palace in Champaign a few years ago.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.