Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 03-22-2007, 11:59 AM
Arkay's Avatar
Arkay Arkay is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 225
Fortunately, we only get SOME of the programming you guys have mentioned, here in Hong Kong. That said, locally-made programming -believe it or not- is mostly way more lame than those, as bad as they are. I go weeks without switching on regular programming, and usually don't miss it at all. The less I watch of TV, the less I like it (or the more I dislike it) when I do.

THANK GOD for:

LaserDisks
DVDs
Occasionally TCM (Turner Classic Movies) or Cinemax or Star Movies
Occasional good documentaries

and most of all...

MUSIC!

That said, I wouldn't mind a cable channel or two with re-runs of all the programs from my youth, like The Beverly Hillbillies, Gilligan's Island, My Three Sons, Father Knows Best, Leave it to Beaver, etc... just for nostalgia, and one good Sci-Fi channel that would also show all those Fifties "B-grade" (or "triple-Z", as we used to call them) Sci-Fi and Horror flicks.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-22-2007, 01:09 PM
doctorbongo's Avatar
doctorbongo doctorbongo is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget73
yeah, *idol, survivor*, and that fear factor show where they eat bugs, gotta go. The FF one always used to be on when I'd go to the bar for hot wings. Something about watching people eat gross stuff while I'm attempting to eat my food does not appeal to me.
I don't get the appeal, either. I might watch someone eat cockroaches and fight the gag reflex ONCE. For about 30 seconds, tops. After that, it's pure tedium. And I don't buy into the false sense of urgency they try to infuse into each program. I love that with Orange County Choppers. "We won't be able to get the bike finished in time for the Really Tuff Bike Fest if that forge doesn't crank out that 3/4" hex nut in time. I sure hope we make it."
"Whew, just in the nick of time!"
__________________
Never said I was a stool pigeon. Never said I was a diplomat.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-22-2007, 01:29 PM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
I'd just like to see Big Paulie one time REALLY lose it & carom a monkeywrench off the blonde-headed one w/the Emo glasses's head....<grin>
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-26-2007, 06:35 PM
Mr Natural's Avatar
Mr Natural Mr Natural is offline
Malmborg in Plano
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: 2000 light years from home
Posts: 34
Get rid of FoxNews.....especially BillO.

there enough brain sag around without these idiots injecting more.


any all those stupid reality shows....sheesh!
__________________
Head-On - Apply it directly to the forehead
Head-On - Apply it directly to the forehead
Head-On - Apply it directly to the forehead
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-26-2007, 06:53 PM
Andyman's Avatar
Andyman Andyman is offline
Scroungus Stereophilus
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: North of Detroit, East of Grumpy. West of Kegger
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
Just slip in some subliminal messages about using contraception so that they don't take over the world. Stupid people shouldn't breed.
Sadly they do, and at a rate faster and more frequently than smart ones.
__________________
I think the world is run by "C" students - Al McGuire
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #36  
Old 03-26-2007, 07:47 PM
Saratoga48's Avatar
Saratoga48 Saratoga48 is offline
I need that radio
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: outside of Saratoga NY.
Posts: 39
Wouldn't it be a shorter thread if we listed which shows should STAY???????
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-26-2007, 08:53 PM
Donny's Avatar
Donny Donny is offline
Lets be bad guys.
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vidor TX
Posts: 121
Time to get rid of dirty jobs. How many shows can they make from cleaning poo?
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-26-2007, 09:00 PM
Andyman's Avatar
Andyman Andyman is offline
Scroungus Stereophilus
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: North of Detroit, East of Grumpy. West of Kegger
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
Time to get rid of dirty jobs. How many shows can they make from cleaning poo?
Actually, I think it should follow that "Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader Show" so viewers could see possible career options.....
__________________
I think the world is run by "C" students - Al McGuire
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-26-2007, 09:06 PM
Donny's Avatar
Donny Donny is offline
Lets be bad guys.
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vidor TX
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyman
Actually, I think it should follow that "Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader Show" so viewers could see possible career options.....
Lol!
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-27-2007, 01:01 PM
Dusty Chalk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga48
Wouldn't it be a shorter thread if we listed which shows should STAY???????
Agreed. But most of my list are cancelled.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #41  
Old 04-04-2007, 09:51 PM
TVTeufel TVTeufel is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 16
Cool

As a semi-geezer, I'm impressed with the taste exhibited by the wide range of ages posting herein. I agree with all of you. It makes me wonder just WHO watches the wretched crap posing as entertainment on their 62 inch wall-hog, & their 2 inch cell phone whilst tailgating me.

About 38 years ago, after returning to the states from a non-voluntary military hiatus of 3 years & no stateside TV to follow, I remember a watching show hosted by a certifiable schizoid by the name of Joe Pyne. Why legitimate guests showed up to be roasted by this wacko, eluded me (Oh, yeah.....money) Anyway, I decided that the civilization from with I had briefly exited, had gone mad, & the end was nigh. On the other hand I also followed a show called "The Courtship of Eddie's Father", starring the late Bill Bixby, & was temporarily soothed & relived that perhaps civility, good taste, & maturity was still an underlying trait of most Americans. Oh well, all good things must pass, & we've arrived at the current state of affairs. Maybe it's why I spend too much time banging on this dam' keyboard.

Oh....I did watch what I consider to be a "good" series tonight. "Friday Night Lights". There - that puts the curse of cancellation in action for a repeat season. Sorry.

Ron.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 04-05-2007, 09:59 AM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Natural
Get rid of FoxNews.....especially BillO.

there enough brain sag around without these idiots injecting more.
So you'd watch Fox more if that show wasn't on?



Isn't all of this like bad music?

(You don't have to listen to that either.)
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 04-05-2007, 11:14 AM
DougMac's Avatar
DougMac DougMac is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Juliette, GA
Posts: 6
John Prine's Right

It makes me think back when we were both poor and cheap and our TV broke. Our sons were 5 and 3. We went two years with no TV. Neither son has ever watched much TV. We also refused to buy video games. They spent their teenage years practicing French horn and trombone after finishing homework. Bought them both a free ride to college.

We've cut back our TV watching. We rely mostly on Netflix, watching either old movies or foreign films that never got screen time here. I've got an unfinished area in the basement for a media room, but I don't want to spend thousands of dollars to become even more passive when I could spend the money on more active and creative pursuits, like sailing and photography.

I still think John Prine was on the right track:

"Blow up your TV, throw away your papers
Move to the country, build you a home
Plant a little garden, eat a lot of peaches
Try and find Jesus on your own."
- "Spanish Pipe Dream" (AKA "Blow Up Your TV")

That song also has one of my favorite Prine lyrics:
"For I knew that topless lady had something up her sleeve"

BTW, it took us a while, but four years ago we bought a little land in the country, built a house, planted a 3/4 acre garden along with a couple of peach trees as well as blueberry and blackberry bushes and fig trees. We no longer subcribe to the newspaper. ;-)
Doug
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 04-30-2007, 11:06 AM
Duane's Avatar
Duane Duane is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 190
What boggles the mind are the mental midgets that run the networks. They continue to clone the same crap over and over and truly believe we enjoy it...

I cannot watch the garbage that the broadcast networks think is good,quality programing . Have we really morphed to this ?? ...everything looks the same.No direction..No talent..no ingenuity..just profits.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 04-30-2007, 12:36 PM
fotno's Avatar
fotno fotno is offline
Canis Major
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Buzzardtown, NC
Posts: 118
My list of TV complaints could fill a medium sized tome... The short list?

Commercials - Period.
How-To shows starring people who don't know how to...
Anything about weddings...
Anything on the Lifetime Channel...
Anything having to do with wealth, power or celebrity...
Anything with the words pimp, crib, star or idol in the title...
The News (with the exception of Robin Meade (oh boy!) on HLN, and I watch that with the sound off half the time)...


Likes...

The History Channel
The Discovery Channel
Military
Wings
Animal Planet (As long as it's not bugs or Meerkats)
National Geographic
TCM
AMC
Western Channel

uhm... That's about it.
__________________
Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.