Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 12-09-2006, 07:01 AM
fotno's Avatar
fotno fotno is offline
Canis Major
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Buzzardtown, NC
Posts: 118
Hey Sandy, wasn't Sean Connery in that one?

My list...

Fantastic Voyage
The Day The Earth Stood Still
Them! (Love it)
Attack of The 50 Foot Woman
This Island Earth

To be honest, I can only think of a handful of Sci-Fi flicks that qualify (to me at least) as A-list films. IMO, everything else in the genre is by defintion a B-movie... I think that's why I love Sci-Fi so! Less pretention.
__________________
Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-09-2006, 09:55 AM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G
Anybody remember that British flick from 30 years or so ago, "Zardoz" ? Don't remember much about it, except you got to see Charlotte Rampling-a minor would-be hottie of the day-nekkid,& people ran around in it wearing these stupid stone-like masks that vaguely resembled Charlton Heston's Moses in the "10 Commandments"...
Zardoz = Wizard of Oz, the book that the immortal drops in front of Sean Connery to get him thinking. I like that movie a lot & had forgotten about it.
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-09-2006, 10:02 AM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
Yep, Sean was in that one. I don't remember if he got nekkid innit too, though... It's been a good 25 yrs since I saw it...Don't think they've ever played it on TV...Maybe too much nekkidity in it or something...
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-09-2006, 10:09 AM
tentoze's Avatar
tentoze tentoze is offline
Twangophile
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G
Anybody remember that British flick from 30 years or so ago, "Zardoz" ? Don't remember much about it, except you got to see Charlotte Rampling-a minor would-be hottie of the day-nekkid,& people ran around in it wearing these stupid stone-like masks that vaguely resembled Charlton Heston's Moses in the "10 Commandments"...
One of VERY few movies I actually own...

"I am Arthur Frayn, and I am Zardoz. I have lived 300 years, and long to die."

Directed by a favorite of mine, John Boorman.
__________________
"If evil exists, it's a pair of train tracks,
And the Devil is a railroad car."

-Josh Ritter-
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-09-2006, 10:39 AM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
I'm remembering more 'n' more about "Zardoz" now...Maybe I'll hafta try to find it & rent it, & watch it again...Seems like it had a veddy, veddy quirky "Britishness" about it...most Americans didn't "get" it.
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #21  
Old 12-09-2006, 11:54 AM
subdermis2000's Avatar
subdermis2000 subdermis2000 is offline
Soviet Canuckistanian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 6
In no particular order:

Death Race 2000
Dark Star
Barbarella
Logan's Run
The Blood of Heroes
__________________
Brent
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-09-2006, 11:58 AM
Scorpion8's Avatar
Scorpion8 Scorpion8 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Juneau, AK
Posts: 92
I was wondering if anyone was going to select "Barbarella", a cult-favorite before Hanoi-Jane injected politics into every facet of her public life. How about "Galaxina" (Playmate Dorothy Stratten), another of the almost-chessiest-film-ever-produced? Avery Schriber as a starship captain?
__________________
Retired USN.
"Good ........ bad ........ I'm the guy with the gun." Ash, Army of Darkness
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-09-2006, 12:08 PM
tentoze's Avatar
tentoze tentoze is offline
Twangophile
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G
I'm remembering more 'n' more about "Zardoz" now...Maybe I'll hafta try to find it & rent it, & watch it again...Seems like it had a veddy, veddy quirky "Britishness" about it...most Americans didn't "get" it.
It is damned quirky alright, but not all that "British", IMO. As with most Boorman films, the visuals are unique.
__________________
"If evil exists, it's a pair of train tracks,
And the Devil is a railroad car."

-Josh Ritter-
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-09-2006, 02:54 PM
kerozene's Avatar
kerozene kerozene is offline
FOR THE GREATER GOOD...
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Revere, MA - USA
Posts: 14


I've never seen it. I'll have to find a DVD and watch it. I am intrigued now.
__________________
tonif



The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
Michael Friedman
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-09-2006, 03:10 PM
subdermis2000's Avatar
subdermis2000 subdermis2000 is offline
Soviet Canuckistanian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tentoze
It is damned quirky alright, but not all that "British", IMO. As with most Boorman films, the visuals are unique.

and the story has become more relevant to the here and now than it was in the 80's and 90's. In respect for the forum rules I'll leave it at that.
__________________
Brent
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #26  
Old 12-10-2006, 01:38 PM
dtuomi's Avatar
dtuomi dtuomi is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 231
I was always fond of Silent Running. Although Dr. Who and the Daleks with Peter Cushing was fun. Also Battle Beyond the Stars which was a remake of the Magnificent Seven (which was a remake). Also Runaway with Tom Selleck, I thought the smart bullets in that were scary. And who could ever forget Looker which was very forward looking in its ideas of how virtual actors would be used.

David
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-10-2006, 02:45 PM
sven's Avatar
sven sven is offline
Nine Miles High
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: nor' west pa
Posts: 11
No order, just faves:

1. Escape From New York
2. Screamers
3. Killer Klowns from Outer Space
4. The Idaho Transfer
5. Kronos
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-10-2006, 03:50 PM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
I will have to watch "Idaho Transfer" and "Blood of Heroes". I'd never heard of them before.

A few more -
  1. Cube
  2. The Monitors
  3. H-Man (1959)
  4. Giant of Metropolis
  5. Forbidden Planet
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-10-2006, 03:53 PM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtuomi
I was always fond of Silent Running. Although Dr. Who and the Daleks with Peter Cushing was fun. Also Battle Beyond the Stars which was a remake of the Magnificent Seven (which was a remake). Also Runaway with Tom Selleck, I thought the smart bullets in that were scary. And who could ever forget Looker which was very forward looking in its ideas of how virtual actors would be used.

David
Silent Running has always been a favorite.

I am not a Dern fan per se but no one else could have played a misanthrope better that he did in that role.

__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-10-2006, 03:54 PM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
I am somewhat shocked that Westworld has not reared it's head yet.

__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.