Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 03-23-2011, 08:00 PM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
Here's a few more:
Moritat-Dick Hyman Trio 1956
Portugese Washerwomen- Joe "Fingers" Carr 1956
The Happy Wanderer-Frank Weir 1954
Meet Mr Callaghan-Les Paul 1952
Blue Tango-Leroy Anderson 1952
April In Portugal-Les Baxter 1953
Delaware-Perry Como 1960
Honey-Babe-Art Mooney 1955
Poor People of Paris-Les Baxter 1956
Theme from A Summer place-Percy Faith 1960
Up a Lazy River-Si Zentner 1961
Wheels-The String-Alongs 1960
That oughta get you started....(grin)
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-23-2011, 08:05 PM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
Couple more by Art Mooney, from '48...Babyface, & I'm Looking Over a Four-Leaf Clover. Another one by Marlene Dietrich, "Sag Mir Wo Die Blumen Sind" from 1963. "Lolita Ya-Ya" by Nelson Riddle also from '62 is a good 'un, IMHO. I know you know the Marlene song...You just don't REALISE you do, yet...(grin)
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-24-2011, 09:24 AM
airgrabber-6's Avatar
airgrabber-6 airgrabber-6 is offline
Avoiding electrocution.
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Heard one on Sirius Fifties on Five that I remember from way, way, way back when I was a baby- "She Say (Ooby Doob)"
She Say (Oom Dooby Doom) is by the Diamonds. Great doowop tune not usually played even here in the Philly region. I have a 45rpm WLP copy of it on Mercury somewhere.
__________________

current victim:
"Blondie"...a '62 Magnavox 27" Normandy Provincial
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-24-2011, 09:32 AM
airgrabber-6's Avatar
airgrabber-6 airgrabber-6 is offline
Avoiding electrocution.
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 57
Some more good ones:

Morning Side of the Mountain - Tommy Edwards
For Your Love - Ed Townsend
I Need Someone - Lenny Welch
Voo Vee Ah Bee - Platters
Bop Bop Bu - Dappers
__________________

current victim:
"Blondie"...a '62 Magnavox 27" Normandy Provincial

Last edited by airgrabber-6; 03-24-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-24-2011, 12:28 PM
magnasonic66's Avatar
magnasonic66 magnasonic66 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 330
Groups and artists, The Remains with their one original album, the 13th Floor Elevators, Buddy Morrow with "Tom Tom" backed by "Rock and Roll", one weird 1959 release by Mac Perrin (Lester Laundree) "Chopstick Cha Cha", Ric Gary doing "Pimples and Braces", just for a few.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #21  
Old 03-24-2011, 01:48 PM
GeorgeJetson's Avatar
GeorgeJetson GeorgeJetson is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The future (circa 1957-1961)
Posts: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
One I discovered recently while recording some 78's is Frankie Laine and Jimmy Boyd's duet of "The Little Boy and the Old Man".

It was the B side of the Novelty song "Tell me a Story" and is way superior IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2-Bc...eature=related

Frankie Laine also toyed with rock and roll with

"You know how it is"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7mQGDnjdn8
__________________
No wonder this circuit failed,it says "made in Japan"!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-24-2011, 01:52 PM
GeorgeJetson's Avatar
GeorgeJetson GeorgeJetson is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The future (circa 1957-1961)
Posts: 443
Here's one most haven't heard of-
Skip Stanley "Satellite Baby"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAO77QLxRVw
__________________
No wonder this circuit failed,it says "made in Japan"!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-24-2011, 02:06 PM
GeorgeJetson's Avatar
GeorgeJetson GeorgeJetson is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The future (circa 1957-1961)
Posts: 443
Even Andy Griffith took on rock-n-roll!

Here's a clip from the 1957 Elia Kazan film "A face in the crowd"
Featuring Andy as "lonesome Rhodes" playing his hit record "Mama guitar"!

(Lee Remick is one of the baton twirlers)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLtNdXg5rEA

Capitol put out two versions of this song by Andy Griffith.
The version released as a 45 rpm single and 78 rpm have a smaller studio group and different arrangement,while the Capitol lp soundtrack contains this version which in my opinion is far superior.

This is a great movie by the way,it also stars Patricia Neal and a young Walter Matthau.
Lots of good music,and Andy Griffith really shows the depths of his acting skills.
If you've never seen this movie before and only know Andy as Sheriff Taylor you'll be shocked.
It is available on DVD with commentary by Andy.
__________________
No wonder this circuit failed,it says "made in Japan"!

Last edited by GeorgeJetson; 03-24-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-28-2011, 05:56 PM
KentTeffeteller's Avatar
KentTeffeteller KentTeffeteller is offline
Gimpus Stereophilus!
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Athens, TN
Posts: 791
Xavier Cugat- Watermelon Man
Johnny Tillotson- It Keeps Right On A-Hurtin'
Ferlin Husky-Gone
Tennessee Ernie Ford- Sixteen Tons
Les Paul & Mary Ford- How High The Moon
Billy Vaughn- Sail Along Silvery Moon
Pat Boone- Love Letters In The Sand
Chris Montez- The More I See You

Hunt these jewels and spin them on your vintage radiogram. I love nice music and vintage gear. Love better old console radiograms and may soon be the proud owner of a very nice UK made Dynatron with a Garrard with Shure M 91E.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-28-2011, 06:34 PM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
Chris Montez....Used to have a wacky dream involving him...I dreamed it was fall '66, & I was cruising in a brand-new white '67 Lincoln convertible sedan on I-75 going across the Ohio river into Cincinnati, w/the top down, & he was on the radio singin' "Call Me', another song on that album...Nothing really happened, just me in that car on a glorious fall day, ridin' along, takin' it all in...Weird, huh ?!? (grin)
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #26  
Old 03-30-2011, 09:13 PM
marty59's Avatar
marty59 marty59 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Arlington, Tx
Posts: 915
I can't help but think of Screamin' Jay Hawkins "I Put a Spell On You". Sure, CCR did a decient cover of it but it doesn't scream like Jay!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-30-2011, 11:00 PM
Eric H's Avatar
Eric H Eric H is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: So. Calif
Posts: 11,565
An extremely obscure Doo Wop group I found on a 45,
The Don Clairs, "I Lost my Job"

"I'm walking down the street
boy I'm scared from head to feet
of what my big fat wife might say
when she finds out, I lost my job today."
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-31-2011, 12:16 AM
JB5pro JB5pro is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Chris Montez....Used to have a wacky dream involving him...I dreamed it was fall '66, & I was cruising in a brand-new white '67 Lincoln convertible sedan on I-75 going across the Ohio river into Cincinnati, w/the top down, & he was on the radio singin' "Call Me', another song on that album...Nothing really happened, just me in that car on a glorious fall day, ridin' along, takin' it all in...Weird, huh ?!? (grin)
My training in psychology allows me to accurately interpret exactly what your dream actually tells about your deepest thoughts and desires...
1. You genuinely desire to own and operate a brand-new white 1967 Lincoln Continental convertable in the fall of 1966.
2. You know something that I did not know in that apparently Chris Montez is another one of those men that not only was desired to be with by women but also desired to be by men.
3. You love yourself so very much that you need no other actual in person human contact to enjoy your life completely.
In conclusion I must ad that you are perfectly normal by our society's standards. Also, I think Chris' song "Call Me" is a great song with a classy and cool sound that makes me imagine being at some swanky party at the Playboy mansion in Chicago after the video taping of "Playboy After Dark" in the fall of 1966.

Please accept this evaluation for absolutely no charge
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-31-2011, 11:42 AM
JCFitz JCFitz is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Willards,MD
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty59 View Post
I can't help but think of Screamin' Jay Hawkins "I Put a Spell On You". Sure, CCR did a decient cover of it but it doesn't scream like Jay!
Totally agree here. You almost never hear the screamin' Jay version.I have it on 78 rpm.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-31-2011, 07:51 PM
Eric H's Avatar
Eric H Eric H is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: So. Calif
Posts: 11,565
I love that song, Jay shrieks and snorts like a Hog on it!
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.