Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 12-06-2007, 07:39 AM
merrylander's Avatar
merrylander merrylander is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Glenwood, MD 21738
Posts: 121
Caught about 3/4 of the ending last night - in between the bloody commercials.
__________________


Some people are like Slinkies, not really good for anything. They do bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-06-2007, 08:06 AM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by bre's dad View Post
Much better than alot of the crap that is on sci-fi channel.
Bingo!

Absolutely kick-ass look too.

Missed the ending but will catch it Sunday.

I agree that the acting was sporadically weak but overall the storyline was great.

There were parts where it looked like everyone in the scene forgot what to do next & then had a collective "Oh yeah I remember now..."

Best performance so far is from Raw IMO.

Get the writers & budget for Galactica over to this one and make it a regular series, stat!
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-06-2007, 11:49 PM
goldear's Avatar
goldear goldear is offline
Certifiable Audio Junkie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 32
I thought that it was clever modernized adaptation of the Wizzard of Oz theme, but not story.

The things that seemed silly though were that they called it the "O" Z", rather than Oz, and that they called the hero DG. I thought that Glitch was a wonderful character. The Tin man was less impressive.

The Lion character was a completely 100% stolen from a 1970s Doctor Who episode staring Tom Baker (the last Ramana Episode, for those who are curious). In that episode a psychic Lion-like species was hooked up to a machine, that used thier psychic abilities to navigateships though time. They had similar wounds to thier heads and everything!

The Bad guys looked like they had re-used the Harkonens uniforms from the movie "Dune" (and they acted similar too).

But even with these amusing factors, I still generally enjoyed it, up to just before the end, and which point it felt like they cut-it-off the very instant that the goal had been achieved, and gave no proper wrap-up. That aspect annoyed me. Even two more minutes could have wrapped things up nicely, but they didn't bother. How dissapointing...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-07-2007, 07:47 AM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldear View Post
The Lion character was a completely 100% stolen from a 1970s Doctor Who episode staring Tom Baker (the last Ramana Episode, for those who are curious). In that episode a psychic Lion-like species was hooked up to a machine, that used thier psychic abilities to navigateships though time. They had similar wounds to thier heads and everything!
No kidding?

That is really lame.
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-10-2007, 01:21 AM
danj's Avatar
danj danj is offline
modern primitive
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Western Oregon
Posts: 87
A big disappointment. I was eager for it and TiVo'd the whole thing but found it too long, poorly scripted and badly acted. The writers didn't miss a cliche. It's what I imagine Ed Wood would have done with a big budget.
__________________
The older I get the more I like my T90
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #21  
Old 12-10-2007, 06:20 AM
rkic's Avatar
rkic rkic is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 6
I liked it but wouldn't watch it again.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-10-2007, 07:50 AM
fotno's Avatar
fotno fotno is offline
Canis Major
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Buzzardtown, NC
Posts: 118
Caught it all last night, and liked a goodly portion of it. But it was kind of like a Whitman's sampler... There were bits I thought were really quirky and creative, and bits that were cliche' and lame.

Dialog: On the whole, weak. A lot of lost opportunities to develop character, and deepen the emotional impact, but the writers tended to settle for the gag joke, or worse, the quick emotional fix.

Characters: Glitch was marvelous, Raw a decent idea (even if stolen), the Tin Man... What were they thinking? Let's have the "title character", relegated to playing Tom Mix to the rescue, over and over again? DG was a fair character, but my vote for highest score in the twisted and emotionally relevant category? Azkadellia. I got her. Her dialog worked (for the most part), and there were hints at the deeper story throughout her performance.

Cinematography: No faults there. Great locations, great sets (Go Steampunk!), and the CGI was seamless enough that it never seemed to distract from the story.

The Ending: Oh Geez. "That's all I got, what about you Bob? You got nothing either huh? OK, that's a wrap!"

If I were grading on a 1 - 10 scale with one being Manos: Hands of Fate, and 10 being Citizen Kane, this would score a 4.
__________________
Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-10-2007, 11:30 AM
Holst's Avatar
Holst Holst is offline
<Mahler and Me
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: S Crow Wing Co. Minnesota
Posts: 217
I watched the first part last night and kinda "got it". I DVR'ed all of it but between my daughters chior concert and the horses plowing throught the fences I didn't have time to finish.

Part seems to be inspired by "the Dreamer of Oz". http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099464/

If you saw this made for TV flik it would make more sense. As L. Frank Baum tells the storys to the children, so D.G's "parents" told her the "story's".

The Tin Man sems to be an nod to the tough guys from films of the same era as the "Wizard of Oz". That ties in with the late 30's cars, gun and so on.

I haven't decided if the kid and I will finish it this week and watch it again when my wife gets a night off, of if we just wait.


....and fotno, if Manos: Hands of Fate is a 1, what grade does "Red Zone Cuba" aka "Night Train to Mundo Fine" get. http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0060753/
__________________
Main: McIntosh MC2125, McIntosh C27, Ohm Acoustics Walsh 300's, AMC CD8b, Luxman K-373, Marantz 2110, Phillips N4504 w/dbx 222/200/NX40, SOTA Moonbeam w/Shure V15II/JICO-SAS
Upstairs Mancave: Yaoin VK2100, Ohm Walsh F's, Luxman D-373, Sony ST-3950SD
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-10-2007, 12:57 PM
6thumbs's Avatar
6thumbs 6thumbs is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 52
The evil sister was HOT
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-10-2007, 01:09 PM
Holst's Avatar
Holst Holst is offline
<Mahler and Me
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: S Crow Wing Co. Minnesota
Posts: 217
See looked kinda Disney and with her ability to suck the life out of men, reminded me of my first wife Sandy.
__________________
Main: McIntosh MC2125, McIntosh C27, Ohm Acoustics Walsh 300's, AMC CD8b, Luxman K-373, Marantz 2110, Phillips N4504 w/dbx 222/200/NX40, SOTA Moonbeam w/Shure V15II/JICO-SAS
Upstairs Mancave: Yaoin VK2100, Ohm Walsh F's, Luxman D-373, Sony ST-3950SD
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #26  
Old 12-10-2007, 01:14 PM
fotno's Avatar
fotno fotno is offline
Canis Major
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Buzzardtown, NC
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holst View Post


....and fotno, if Manos: Hands of Fate is a 1, what grade does "Red Zone Cuba" aka "Night Train to Mundo Fine" get. http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0060753/

Oh gee whiz... I had completely forgotten about that "gem". I guess it does require an adjustment of the scale don't it?

Manos: Hands of Fate = 1

Citizen Kane = 10

Night Train to Mundo Fine = Please poke out my eyes with a #2 pencil!
__________________
Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:26 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.