Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 03-20-2007, 07:12 AM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by tentoze
Always thought that Lovecraft's At The Mountains Of Madness would make a terrific film, in the right hands of course. Last weekend,one of my twins said some decent director (don't remember who, I'm not a follower of cinema at all) has it on his plate as a future project, finally.
That is a perfect story to put to film or digits. Probably one of the most disturbing & intriguing stories I've read. Did not know it was being made into a movie either. Del Toro is a good choice although Ridley Scott's work certainly comes to mind. When the ancient beings are first described I could not help but think of H.R. Giger & the foreboding tension of Alien.
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-20-2007, 07:41 AM
shrinkboy's Avatar
shrinkboy shrinkboy is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Oak Cliff, Texas, just across the Trinity River from Big D
Posts: 135
somebody above mentioned The Road, by C. McCarthy--i think it is already in development. i am a long time Cormac obsessive, and would nominate Blood Meridian as the book i'd most like to see made film. by the right directors of course.

and The Road, FWIW, is probably THE most gripping, wrenching, spooked, agonizing, can't put it down/must put it down, hurry up and get it over with so you can go back to normal life books i have EVER read. when i finished the last sentence, i almost literally threw it down and stared at it for about 5 minutes.
__________________
Technics SL1700/SL1400
Marantz CDR700/Entech205.3
Onkyo TA-RW 311
TEAC x2000r/Realistic TR3000
DBX CX-2/Phase Linear 400 Mk.II
Acoustic Research AR3a
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-20-2007, 10:15 AM
Dusty Chalk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Cryptonomicon -- this, in particular, would translate well onto the big screen, there's some very Indiana Jones type action in there
Snowcrash -- I've already rewritten a scene to translate it to movie
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-20-2007, 10:36 AM
electronjohn's Avatar
electronjohn electronjohn is offline
I like....big sparks!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: minnesota
Posts: 652
Ringworld--Larry Niven. Who would you cast as Louis Wu?
The Mote in God's Eye--Niven and Jerry Pournelle. Still my favorite re: alien first contact.
City--Clifford D. Simak. Humans are pretty much legends---smart dogs and robots inhabit the Earth.
Rendezvous With Rama--Arthur C. Clarke. Would be spectacular.
The whole dragonrider thing from Anne McCaffrey would be a CGI-fest.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-20-2007, 10:40 AM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
I'd like to see "A Catcher in the Rye" made into a movie, but Salinger has never released the movie rights. And if it WAS made into a movie, would you set it in 1949-50, or 2007 ?
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #21  
Old 03-20-2007, 12:42 PM
Holst's Avatar
Holst Holst is offline
<Mahler and Me
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: S Crow Wing Co. Minnesota
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by electronjohn
Rendezvous With Rama--Arthur C. Clarke. Would be spectacular.
.
When I read that book the state of the art for special effect's would have never been able to do it. They can now. It would be spectacular.
__________________
Main: McIntosh MC2125, McIntosh C27, Ohm Acoustics Walsh 300's, AMC CD8b, Luxman K-373, Marantz 2110, Phillips N4504 w/dbx 222/200/NX40, SOTA Moonbeam w/Shure V15II/JICO-SAS
Upstairs Mancave: Yaoin VK2100, Ohm Walsh F's, Luxman D-373, Sony ST-3950SD
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-20-2007, 12:50 PM
Holst's Avatar
Holst Holst is offline
<Mahler and Me
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: S Crow Wing Co. Minnesota
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajobu
After London is REALLY special as a First Edition, and even a late 19th C reprint. There's just something about an old book.
What always stands out in my mind is that the people are the same as they are today. Society is different, but people remain the same.

I'm an HG Wells fan and I'm always struck by the fact that these storys were often written a century (or more) ago. Replace the telegraph with the internet and it's 2007. The books may be old but the story is still fresh.
__________________
Main: McIntosh MC2125, McIntosh C27, Ohm Acoustics Walsh 300's, AMC CD8b, Luxman K-373, Marantz 2110, Phillips N4504 w/dbx 222/200/NX40, SOTA Moonbeam w/Shure V15II/JICO-SAS
Upstairs Mancave: Yaoin VK2100, Ohm Walsh F's, Luxman D-373, Sony ST-3950SD
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-20-2007, 01:57 PM
ojTHEd ojTHEd is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lansing, just south of Chicago
Posts: 4
Anything by Heinlein.

Stranger in a Strange Land would be incredible. I've always imagined Danny Devito could play an excellent Jubal Harshaw.
Any of the Lazurus Long books, too. They could have a Bond-like mega-series from these!
__________________
__________________________________
Standard disclaimers apply - opinions are just that - I know not what I speak and yet I speak it with conviction!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-20-2007, 02:19 PM
pmsummer's Avatar
pmsummer pmsummer is offline
simul justus et peccator
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rheinhardt Station, Peters Colony, Republic of Texas
Posts: 122
Goodbye to a River
- John Graves (WWII Marine vet takes a month-long canoe trip with a dachsund)

Grendel
- John Gardner (The Beowulf monster as hero)

Gravity's Rainbow
- Thomas Pynchon (V-2s, and post-war Germany, and some 400 characters)

The Oath
- Frank Peretti (evil and a dragon live in the Cascade Mountains)
__________________
P.M. Summer



McIntosh MA6100, Klipsch Klipschorns, Denon DP-1800 w/AT-15SS, Sony XDR-F1HD, Yamaha CDC+Entech dac
McIntosh MAC4100, Fons Mk1 w/Shure M97xE, AR3a, Frazier Mk V, Yamaha NS1000M, TEAC A-2300SR
H.H. Scott 299D, Frazier La Fiesta, Tivoli Model CD, ELAC 40A
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-20-2007, 03:00 PM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojTHEd
Anything by Heinlein.

Stranger in a Strange Land would be incredible.
Hard to believe, or should I say grok, that this one has not been made into a movie.
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #26  
Old 03-20-2007, 03:04 PM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by electronjohn
The Mote in God's Eye--Niven and Jerry Pournelle. Still my favorite re: alien first contact.
I am indeed among friends. I'll reread this one every 5 years or so. (Crazy Eddie is not a former NY hifi merchant.)

Staying in the Niven/Pournelle theme, I'll add Lucifer's Hammer.
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-20-2007, 03:06 PM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
Cryptonomicon -- this, in particular, would translate well onto the big screen, there's some very Indiana Jones type action in there
Snowcrash -- I've already rewritten a scene to translate it to movie
Diamond Age too. I was not real enamored with it the first time through but decided to read it again and could not put it down. Amazing how frame of mind affects your inital take.
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-20-2007, 03:11 PM
rickon66's Avatar
rickon66 rickon66 is offline
Older Than Dirt
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Middle Tennessee, USA
Posts: 12
Speaking of Heinlein-"Door Into Summer"
__________________
HK 430, HH Scott Type 314 Tuner ,
Marantz Imperial 6, Braun L-1030/8
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-20-2007, 03:11 PM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkboy
somebody above mentioned The Road, by C. McCarthy--i think it is already in development. i am a long time Cormac obsessive, and would nominate Blood Meridian as the book i'd most like to see made film. by the right directors of course.

and The Road, FWIW, is probably THE most gripping, wrenching, spooked, agonizing, can't put it down/must put it down, hurry up and get it over with so you can go back to normal life books i have EVER read. when i finished the last sentence, i almost literally threw it down and stared at it for about 5 minutes.
Say no more about it. I am not finished with it yet. I'm at the point where they found the bunker and have real food again.

I've noticed that there are a number of post apocalypse story fans -

Post Apocalyptic Fiction

This is a great resource for books and films. Some of the websites listed catalog foreign works as well.
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-20-2007, 04:05 PM
Retro Stereo's Avatar
Retro Stereo Retro Stereo is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Owatonna, Minnesota
Posts: 18
"The Second Son" by Charles Sailor

Read some of the Amazon.com reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Second-Son-Cha.../dp/0380455676

My copy, I believe, is the second printing and it says on the back "Soon to be a major motion picture by MGM" or somebody. It never became a motion picture.

Rumor has it, this book was ready to become a movie and the Catholic Church stepped in and payed the author some ungodly (no pun intended) amount of money to not only keep it from becoming a movie, but to take it off the shelves completely!!!

Weird huh.......




Retro
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.