Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-15-2005, 05:22 PM
botrytis's Avatar
botrytis botrytis is offline
Space holder
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Burlington, MA
Posts: 71
The Lion, The Witch and The Wardobe

If anyone has read the C.S. Lewis' Narnia series then this movie is definitely a must see. I thought it was fantastic and followed the book amazingly well.



Dave
__________________
"Resentment is like taking poison yourself and waiting for the other guy to die."

-Carrie Fisher
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-15-2005, 07:41 PM
Bogframe's Avatar
Bogframe Bogframe is offline
Holy Pioneer!
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 103
Good to know, I have the whole series and just finished my umpteenth re-reading!
__________________

"A drummer, bass and two guitars
When you're playing Tasty, you'll go far
Tasty, ooh Tasty, ain't it time we mellow out?"


Tasty-The Good Rats
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-19-2005, 09:28 AM
jguzman21's Avatar
jguzman21 jguzman21 is offline
Large Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4
I took my 7yr old daughter to see this on Saturday. We had a great time and loved the movie. Followed the book very well and was easy for her to follow along.

john
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-19-2005, 10:08 AM
foetusized
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I was thinking of taking my 4.5 year old to a matinee on our Christmas break. Would it be appropriate for someone so young?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-19-2005, 10:12 AM
jguzman21's Avatar
jguzman21 jguzman21 is offline
Large Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4
I seen lots of kids there who were younger than my daughter (7). There are some scary looking creatures but they don't get very much screen time.

john
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 12-19-2005, 10:27 AM
THOR
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
My son (15yrs old) and I saw it yesterday and we both hated it. It is definetely a movie for young children. They make it look like it might be a LOTR type adventure in the previews and it's more like Sesame St. Great kids movie I guess. As someone who never read the books I felt like it was the 2nd movie or something? Seems like I didn't know why things were happening. What happened to give the witch 100yrs of dominion? Aslan killed her in like 2 seconds flat, why did he wait 100yrs to do it? Just seemed like there was info missing to me and since I never read the books (tried as a teenager but didn't take to them) I just didn't know.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-19-2005, 10:32 AM
Army Army is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: East Central, Iowa
Posts: 43
Good to know since the book is one of things my wife wanted and is getting for Christmas.
__________________


You have your way, I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. F. Nietzsche
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-19-2005, 10:36 AM
SPL db's Avatar
SPL db SPL db is offline
Vintage Audio Nut
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 89
Army... it took me about five minutes to even notice that you had posted words along with that avatar!

Scott
__________________
Music, when combined with a pleasurable idea, is poetry.
Music without the idea is simply music.
Without music or an intriguing idea, color becomes pallor, man becomes carcass, home becomes catacomb.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-19-2005, 10:49 AM
Army Army is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: East Central, Iowa
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL db
Army... it took me about five minutes to even notice that you had posted words along with that avatar!

Scott
Noth'in better than the holidays at Hef's
__________________


You have your way, I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. F. Nietzsche
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-19-2005, 12:36 PM
Negotiableterms's Avatar
Negotiableterms Negotiableterms is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lake Tahoe/Seattle
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by foetusized
I was thinking of taking my 4.5 year old to a matinee on our Christmas break. Would it be appropriate for someone so young?
I'm wondering exactly the same thing. Exactly!
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #11  
Old 12-19-2005, 12:39 PM
THOR
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Perfect for little kids.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-19-2005, 01:20 PM
mg196's Avatar
mg196 mg196 is offline
Johnny Thunders - LAMF
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: DC Metro Area
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by THOR
...They make it look like it might be a LOTR type adventure in the previews and it's more like Sesame St...
I am really glad you pointed that out. When I first saw the trailer I was blown away! I definitely thought it was going to be another mega-trilogy in the vein of LOTR.
__________________
"You can't put your arms around a memory...so don't try." - Johnny Thunders
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-19-2005, 02:44 PM
2DualsNotEnough's Avatar
2DualsNotEnough 2DualsNotEnough is offline
The Goodbye Look
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Phoenix,AZ
Posts: 308
I thought the movie followed the book pretty closely,and as a movie for younger children its very good,IMO,but after the Ring trilogy,I was a little disapointed in it.The big battle at the end had its moments,but cant hold a candle to the battle of Helms Deep in the Two Towers(but in all fairness,are there many battles in ANY movie that can?)or any number of battles in the Ring series.
The film seemed a little chintzy to me,that it lacked the scope of a real epic.As far as taking small children,if I had seen those wolves when I was a little kid,I would have been scared to death,but then again,I had to hide in my mom's coat when I was 5 when I went on the Pirates of the Carribean at Disneyland
Jimmy
__________________
Current System:Cambridge Audio 640 Azur v2/NAD pp-2/,Oppo DV-970HD dvd/cd/,Luxman T-12 Tuner,Technics SL-1200 Mk5/Grado Red,ADS L810.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-19-2005, 02:50 PM
archibael
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Decent movie, followed the book fairly well. The additional scenes to set the stage in the beginning of the movie were welcome.

I took my six year old, and she enjoyed it but told me not to buy the DVD because it was "too scary"; take that with a grain of salt, though, because she jumps at shadows.

There's lots of battling, but very, very little blood.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-19-2005, 03:04 PM
botrytis's Avatar
botrytis botrytis is offline
Space holder
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Burlington, MA
Posts: 71
LOL - it was not LOTR - Of course it is not!! It is not supposed to be. If they would have done it LOTR-style, then they would not have been faithful to the book. The book makes out the fight scenes like Crusader type of battles and that is that they did.

I was very happy that they didn't 'Hollywoodize' this film!!

I thought it was excellent and plan to buy when it comes out on DVD!!!

Read the book before you judge the movie!!!

Dave
__________________
"Resentment is like taking poison yourself and waiting for the other guy to die."

-Carrie Fisher
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:41 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.