Quote:
Originally Posted by BenM86
Just thought I would post an update. I finally got a chance to try a different VCR. It’s an older model from 1984 that I just refurbished with new belts and what not, and it has the exact same issue on this crt, just slightly worse. Both VCR’s also do the same thing on RCA and RF. I’ve also noticed that while it does smear in laserdiscs, it’s not nearly as bad as it does on the VCR. But again nothing from video game sources like my snes or from newer video sources like a DVD player.
Pretty much given up at this point, outside of a full tear down and recap of the TV I doubt it’s something that’s really fixable. Next step is to find an SVHS player and see if the TV likes the svideo signal any better I suppose lol.
|
That would be interesting, but IIRC, SVHS can't get real s-video out of a VHS tape because VHS actually stores the video as composite. Any of the composite artifacts that are there in the tape to begin with are going to be there anyway. So basically, if you see an improvement, that would suggest that the s-video input on the TV has a cleaner signal path, or that it's the VCRs you were using that are both (all) somehow outputting a dirty signal.
Conversely, if the image still looks bad, that won't really tell you much unless you can get an actual SVHS tape recorded as a real SVHS tape from a high quality source. This is also assuming the player is in good condition and doesn't have a bunch of failing SMD caps in it (as so many of them now do).