Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #2  
Old 03-22-2023, 10:31 AM
dtvmcdonald's Avatar
dtvmcdonald dtvmcdonald is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,268
I'd like to comment on this. I watched the replay yesterday.

The round table participants seems to be suffering from color TV phobia. Yes, I know there is a .sig around here that is something like "restoring a TV is like war ... restoring a color TV is something like a ground war in Asia."

But I got thinking: "How many B&W sets did I restore before I tackled my CT-100".
The answer is: two, a Pilot TV-37 and an Emerson 600, i.e. one 3" and one 7" electrostatic set. I also had trouble shot a horizontal linearity problem in an otherwise properly working RCA 9T246. (Hint for any job: first make sure every tube is the proper type ... the horizontal output was the wrong type, it had perfectly fine and similar specs, and worked OK except linearity.)

I had no experience in restoring TV sets, just several radios and decades of experience fixing designing and fixing solid state electronics, some with high power tube (widowmaker) final stages, and have the equipment. "If the only tool you have is an oscilloscope, every problem looks green and wiggly."

You can read my whole CT-100 journey on this forum. The only genuine nightmare was an intermittent horizontal oscillator that finally required a complete replacement of every resistor in the whole horizontal system including sync. I still don't which part was bad. But I went very slowly and methodically. The 9T246 could have had the identical problem, since its the same circuit.

A CT-100 or a 21CT55 or a Westinghouse or any of the even rarer sets is worth the work.

Electronic Memory: what's your comment on this topic? You've done many.

Last edited by dtvmcdonald; 03-22-2023 at 10:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
 



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.