Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #9  
Old 09-01-2019, 11:47 AM
Jeffhs's Avatar
Jeffhs Jeffhs is offline
<----Zenith C845
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Fairport Harbor, Ohio (near Lake Erie)
Posts: 4,035
That 3CU3 is the first HV rectifier tube I have ever seen with damage like yours had. When you said the tube was "in half", I immediately looked at the attachment and, sure enough, saw the tube's glass envelope literally broken in half. I wonder what caused that type of damage, although my best guess is the tube was severely overloaded somehow. Whatever it was, the overload must have been severe enough, and then some, to cause the tube to come close to exploding. In fact, I am surprised the tube's envelope did not shatter, rather than splitting in two as it did.

It could also be, as MadMan said in his post, that the tube had a manufacturing defect and just broke open. If the TV now works as normal, with normal HV, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

BTW, 1968 was about the time everyone was beginning to worry about X-rays from color televisions. I mention this because of the warning on the base of the broken 3CU3 regarding the possibility of the tube emitting high, even harmful levels of X-rays if the tube was not properly shielded. This problem was addressed and apparently corrected, however, by about the mid-'70s (my best estimate), which should have set the collective public's minds at ease. Of course, this (X-ray radiation) cannot occur with today's flat screen televisions since there are no tubes in these sets, and the voltages found in such TVs are nowhere near the kilovolt range.

Also, I can now understand why, in the late '60s-'70s during the X-ray scare, parents often told their children not to sit too close to the TV screen since, as I said above, there was a potential X-ray hazard with color sets of that era. Even today, with flat screens, kids are being warned not to sit too close to the set because of the possibility (even the likelihood) of eyestrain.
__________________
Jeff, WB8NHV

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 09-01-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
 



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.