![]() |
|
#31
|
||||
|
||||
|
Chris, I want to revisit post #14. You seriously gave that a wash, I understand that it wasn't a pressure wash. But how can getting IF cans wet or the innards of transformers wet not do some type of permanent damage to those components?Spats Bear has a YouTube video of a Zenith Chromacolor chassis that he puts through a kitchen dishwasher. Never thought that you could wash electronics, not that I want to start, but it sure does clean things up. But what about the long term left on residual chemicals left on after doing a chemical rinse. Wouldn't that damage or shorten the life of a fragile IF transformer? Please elaborate, you got my attention now. Wow.
__________________
Sony Trinitron is my favorite brand. My wish list: Sony KV-7010U Sony KV-1220U |
|
#32
|
||||
|
||||
|
Standard procedure at Tektronix for refurbishing test gear included washing (as told to us at Zenith by the Tek rep). I don't know what kind of detergent may have been used, and would imagine that distilled or deionized water was used for final rinse.
|
|
#33
|
|||
|
|||
|
I think as long as the chemicals aren't too harsh and you get the equipment dried quickly there won't be a problem. The only time I had problems washing something was the chassis in a low end Curtis Mathes stereo console, and that was in the AM IF transformers which used the troublesome internal mica wafer capacitors, so they would have had problems anyway. I subbed in transformers from a junk radio chassis not knowing that I likely could have repaired the originals. Everything else on it worked OK, and I was able to get rid of the dirt and cigarette tar.
__________________
Erich Loepke |
|
#34
|
||||
|
||||
|
I've been known on chassis that smell moldy or are hideously dirty to spray them down with the garden hose in jet mode then sun dry... hasn't caused me any issues yet... granted I try to minimize aim at transformers.
__________________
Tom C. Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off! What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4 |
|
#35
|
|||
|
|||
|
Quote:
|
| Audiokarma |
|
#36
|
|||
|
|||
|
Yesterday I tackled the yoke cover. Just the side of the yoke cover was in bad shape. the top and bottom were ok. After removing the cover, I chipped off the side and left the bottom.
I then made a new side using 1/32 plywood. After fabricating the new side, I soaked the outside using CA glue as a base for the primer. I sanded it then shot some primer on it. Once dry I installed the new side and used some 5 minute epoxy to glue it to the bottom. Once dry, I then painted it gloss black. ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
|
#37
|
||||
|
||||
|
Chris, what I meant by chemical rise is that usually at a car wash the final rinse isn’t just water. It’s water and some kind of a rinse agent. Whatever the rinse agent is what I meant. Buy the way that’s turning in to a very nice restoration.
__________________
Sony Trinitron is my favorite brand. My wish list: Sony KV-7010U Sony KV-1220U |
|
#38
|
|||
|
|||
|
Quote:
Thank you, |
|
#39
|
|||
|
|||
|
I aligned the chassis today. It went well and quick. This thing plays well. The chassis is as far as it will go till it is installed back into the cabibet and all the picture controls can be adjusted.
On to the radio. Still no documentation. |
|
#40
|
||||
|
||||
|
On what appears to be an AA6 with PP audio like that as long as the values have not rubbed or burned off the components it is pretty easy to restore them without a schematic...Simple sets like that I often don't even bother to get a print while restoring (except for the occasional problem child).
__________________
Tom C. Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off! What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4 |
| Audiokarma |
|
#41
|
|||
|
|||
|
Quote:
|
|
#42
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
|
|
#43
|
|||
|
|||
|
mlcc
|
|
#44
|
||||
|
||||
|
the vertical integrator in my TV calls for 1000pF and 2000pF capacitors, will subbing ceramics there screw anything up?
|
|
#45
|
|||
|
|||
|
I don't know. Maybe someone with the electronics background can answer that question.
|
| Audiokarma |
![]() |
|
|