Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1  
Old 04-07-2005, 09:09 PM
maxm's Avatar
maxm maxm is offline
Surrounded by old stuff
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 371
Zenith Trash Find

This is probably my best trash find yet. I saw this set, lying face down by a dumpster. It was in an alley near my house that I usally don't walk down but it was a nice day, so I went for a walk. At first I though it was a microwave, but than I saw the antennas on the top, and knew it was a TV. It looked to me like it was broken, since there was no CRT bump, but I went up to take a look, and to my pleasant suprise, I saw a 1960 Zeith metal cabinet 19" black and white set...

I carried it home, it was only about 4 blocks. (These metal cabinet Zeniths are heavy, but the car was being used, and I didn't want to leave it there, though I am probably the only person here in Chicaog who would care to take it. (See the thread "I think I'm crazy" if you want to hear an even worse TV carrying story.)

I took it home and had a look. There is a sleep timer installed where I assume the optional UHF tuner would have went. This set has a nice transformer powered (heavy) chassis. This is my first Zenith with a transformer powered chassis, with the flyback in the middle, I have sever of their later sets though.

The set has seen a lot of use though, as many tubes are replacements, and the CRT was replaced in '65.

I haven't had a chance to clean out the set and give it a test, though there are a few thing to look out for. the CRT base is cracked and loose, most of the insulation has flaked off the flyback, and there are some paper caps under the chassis that may be bad. I'll try to look into it and clean it up this weekend...Wish me Luck!
Reply With Quote
 



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:06 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.