Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-12-2017, 09:47 PM
Jon A.'s Avatar
Jon A. Jon A. is offline
Don't mess with Esther.
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by stromberg6 View Post
I noticed the use of "scru-lox" head screws. Could this TV be a Canadian model? Did a Canadian Admiral back in the 70s, and it had those bleepin' screws. I didn't have a driver at the time, and had lots of "fun" with them LOL.
Huh? Those are very common here and I had never heard them called that before, just Robertson or "square head". I had to Google it to find out what they are. I find them to be among the easiest screws to work with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marzutra View Post

"IIRC I've got a spare 17BZP4 in my stocks."
Thanks Electronic. I'm guessing you're located in the States. The costs of shipping one of them to Canada would probably be killer.... We lose over 30% right off the bat thanks to our horrible dollar... Good God!!!
Well, not quite, but it seems that way doesn't it? I just checked, things have changed in our favor a TINY bit, but because of the crazy exchange rate and outrageous shipping costs through eBay I rarely get anything from the US anymore. Good thing I got most of my equipment a while ago. Fortunately shipping from Mouser is still reasonable.

Last edited by Jon A.; 06-12-2017 at 10:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-13-2017, 06:02 AM
Marzutra Marzutra is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Well, not quite, but it seems that way doesn't it? I just checked, things have changed in our favor a TINY bit, but because of the crazy exchange rate and outrageous shipping costs through eBay I rarely get anything from the US anymore. Good thing I got most of my equipment a while ago. Fortunately shipping from Mouser is still reasonable.
It certainly does. No question, especially if you're living in rural NS. Shipping anything here is pretty expensive. Wanted to purchase a pair of Epi M400 speakers from BC but the shipping kills the deal. Was thinking of posting "anyone heading east?" advert..LOL
My tech used Mouser for a number of parts when he restored my monos. I believe Digi-key was another company he uses.
I am waiting for my tech to get back from his vacation in Germany. Perhaps he'll look at and give a service to this ol-Phillips...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-13-2017, 07:05 AM
Jon A.'s Avatar
Jon A. Jon A. is offline
Don't mess with Esther.
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,267
Alrightie, never mind.

Last edited by Jon A.; 06-13-2017 at 01:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-13-2017, 01:10 PM
Marzutra Marzutra is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Well, I'm in Halifax (nothing to be proud of I know) and am willing to lend a hand. I'm the kind who will keep going until a problem is licked and am only satisfied with my work when I've given it my all.
Ah, nice. I used to use Hamblen's for my audio gear however after taking a Pioneer SA9900 to them for servicing - it went back 3 times because the problem was never repaired -but they told me they wouldn't work on it any more. Nice guys though.
Took this same piece to Peak Audio and was told 5-6 different stories (lies) from the sales guy that was different from their tech, who seemed to be pretty good however the same 9900 ended up being totally mangled. Had to sell this, formerly mint piece, for parts and or repair because the lost the top cover plate...(and it was still crap...) Here in Truro, there's one elderly gent who runs- ran - a tv repair shop but I think he's retired now and he's a very disgruntled person...for right or wrong..lol

"So that set is probably from 1958. Another clue would have been that it uses Printed Circuit Boards (PCB), they stared appearing around that time. Early PCB weren't very good. The copper traces tend to come loose when re-soldering/replacing parts. Your restorer guy may know about this. Its probably safer to clip the leads of the old components and solder the new ones to the stubs. Another problem was that the tubes and other heat producing parts weren't spaced away from the board material and it scorches after a while."
Very interesting. Don't know if he does. I'll mention it to him. I did notice a piece was very hot. Don't know what the piece is but it was hot...lol I know absolutely nothing about electronics...
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.